Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) U49 Bow / ranged changes (Read 7962 times)
SweetKitten
Waterworks Kobold

Meeow

U49 Bow / ranged changes
Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
U49 Preview 1: Bow Combat Style Revamp
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/522923-U49-Preview-1-Bow-Combat-Style-...

Longbows and Shortbows now use new, faster animations.
    All Longbows and Shortbows now innately get your Dexterity modifier applied to Damage.
    Point Blank Shot now also adds "While wielding Longbows and Shortbows, you gain +1 Critical Multiplier on rolls of 19-20." in addition to its other effects.
    Blinding Speed now grants 15% Ranged Attack Speed, matching Haste.
    Reconstruct now grants 15% Ranged Attack Speed, matching Haste.
    Shot on the Run no longer gives 10% attack speed with Longbows and Shortbows.
    Shot on the Run's Ranged Power grant has been improved from +3 to +6.
    Improved Archer's Focus (in T5 Deepwood Stalker) no longer gives 10% attack speed with Longbows and Shortbows while Archer's Focus is active.
    Improved Archer's Focus now also grants +10 Ranged Power.
    Primal Hymn (in Fatesinger) no longer gives 10% Attack Speed with Longbows and Shortbows. (It still gives it for Thrown Weapons.)
    All instances of 25% Ranged Alacrity on items have been reduced to 20%.
    The Manyshot feat is now: Manyshot: Bow Attack: Fire three arrows in quick succession. +1 Critical Threat Range and Multiplier on each of these shots. (Note: This attack only rolls for Doubleshot once.) 12 second cooldown. Passive: You gain Doubleshot equl to your BAB with longbows and shortbows.
    The Rapid Shot feat now adds " You gain Ranged Power equal to your BAB with longbows and shortbows" in addition to its other effects.
    Combat Archery now also grants +1 Critical Threat Range with Longbows and Shortbows.
    Combat Archery's DEX requirement is now 17 (was 21).
    Knight of the Chalice's T4 Knight's Training now also grants the Shot on the Run feat.
    Active Ranged attacks that have bonuses to Critical Threat Range no longer get double that range on those attacks.
    The following Longbows and Shortbows have had their Critical Threat Ranges reduced from 18-20 to 19-20:
        Pinion, Cloud-Piercer
        Sapphire Sting
        Epic Sapphire Sting
        Bow of the Elements (Air)
        Silver Longbow
        Epic Thornlord
        Unwavering Ardency
        Bow of Sinew
        Collapsible Shortbow

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: U49 Bow / ranged changes
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Why do most of those sound like nerfs?

Nerf it so they can sell it back in the tree. Yeah. That's SSG.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Feels like an overall buff to me but I've not dabbled on Lam yet. I suspect it's a bit less interesting without the burst, but stronger.

Waaaaaa at them catching crit range outliers early.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 4:03pm:
Why do most of those sound like nerfs?

Nerf it so they can sell it back in the tree. Yeah. That's SSG.

If they speed up the animations enough,  it could be a buff,  increase the speed and then adjust other things inline with a goal dps.  It's possible anyways.  SSG will fuck it up though I'm sure,  because SSG.

IP Logged

Nuic
DQ Assaulter

OMEGALUL

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 4:20pm:
Feels like an overall buff to me but I've not dabbled on Lam yet. I suspect it's a bit less interesting without the burst, but stronger.

Waaaaaa at them catching crit range outliers early.

Seems more like it depends on the animation changes they made, but seems like a slight nerf:

The new animations change fire rate at level 1 to be a base 0.03 seconds faster. They claim if you have any alacrity that it'll feel "better".
Gain dex to damage on bows (pretty much unnecessary because you're likely going to be running 10k stars which is wis-based so just go falconry for wis to-hit/damage)
Lose 7% from Blinding Speed
Gain 1 crit mult on 19-20 likely within point blank shot range.
Lose 10% from shot on the run
Gain 3 RP from shot on the run
Lose 10% from improved archer's focus
Gain 10 RP from improved archer's focus
Lose 10% from Primal Hymn
Lose 5% from ranged alacrity (which is hilarious because they just released the raid bow with 25% ranged alacrity)
Gain RP = BaB so ~18 RP if you want to run 10k stars
Gain 1 crit threat range

So:
dex to damage gain
42% ranged alacrity loss
31 RP gain
1 crit threat range gain
1 crit mult likely within PBS gain

IP Logged

KlownKar
Korthos Resident

Brain Candy Pez Dispenser

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
... and the crit gain is actually a wash if you use a bow that's accustomed to the 18-20 range that's getting nerfed.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
KlownKar wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:59pm:
... and the crit gain is actually a wash if you use a bow that's accustomed to the 18-20 range that's getting nerfed.

The part that really urks me is they told us for YEARS they couldn't "retroactively change" items and that was why so much outdated loot had to sit around being fuckin useless. Now apparently they've changed their mind, but only if its a nerf.

And they nerf the shit out of everything. If they come after my ESOS I will stage a 1-man riot.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 6:36pm:
If they come after my ESOS I will stage a 1-man riot.

I drop into the official DDO discord from time to time to lurk.  So fuckhead was ranting a couple weeks ago on there that the eSoS needs a nerf.  Considering how often Steelstar is in there, we all need to be afraid.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Some* fuckhead

Damn my not learning to proof read before I post.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Some* fuckhead

Damn my not learning to proof read before I post.

Can always delete & repost.

But yeah. I won't be shocked if they do but I'll be annoyed. ESOS is so legendarily hard to get though it won't really impact many current players.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 7:01pm:
Can always delete & repost.

But yeah. I won't be shocked if they do but I'll be annoyed. ESOS is so legendarily hard to get though it won't really impact many current players.

Yeah I know I can,  but I'm also lazy when it comes to posting here,  so read my typos and like it bitch.

The crazy part about the eSoS and the discord conversation,  is that I can not understand what goes into someone's head for a player to ask to nerf an ancient hard to get (RNG) game item.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Silver Longbow is to longbows what SoS/eSoS are to Two-Handers... talk about end of an era... fuck me

IP Logged

The Pope
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Yet more nerfs for crossbow builds. Good times.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
The changes to crit range of older items is flat out bad.
You are not buying our new packs to get the new gear enough so we will wreck all the old gear so you have to.
Anyone who thinks they are interested in anything other than revenue has their head up their arse.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Nuic wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:47pm:
Seems more like it depends on the animation changes they made, but seems like a slight nerf:

The new animations change fire rate at level 1 to be a base 0.03 seconds faster. They claim if you have any alacrity that it'll feel "better".
Gain dex to damage on bows (pretty much unnecessary because you're likely going to be running 10k stars which is wis-based so just go falconry for wis to-hit/damage)
Lose 7% from Blinding Speed
Gain 1 crit mult on 19-20 likely within point blank shot range.
Lose 10% from shot on the run
Gain 3 RP from shot on the run
Lose 10% from improved archer's focus
Gain 10 RP from improved archer's focus
Lose 10% from Primal Hymn
Lose 5% from ranged alacrity (which is hilarious because they just released the raid bow with 25% ranged alacrity)
Gain RP = BaB so ~18 RP if you want to run 10k stars
Gain 1 crit threat range

So:
dex to damage gain
42% ranged alacrity loss
31 RP gain
1 crit threat range gain
1 crit mult likely within PBS gain

That's interesting, cheers!

I transferred my main and TRed it into a 20 Rgr with obvious enhancements and WIS-based w/ Falconry for fun. It was good fun, powerful. Bit disappointed my main already has their Rgr lives as I'd definitely play a few lives of this.

The anim felt good to me. Quick enough, not as prone to misfires*. Though the new Manyshot definitely didn't go off all the time, more like 40% nothingshots.

* I've been enjoying ranged, particularly getting the best out of IPS, without tab targeting lately, manual aim. Seems to also reduce missed shots due to target:shot sync confusion.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what ends up on Live.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #15 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Oh on the PBS range; not 100% as didn't pay proper attention but I think the DWS capstone affected the range of the bonus crit multiplier. I'd need to look properly to be sure. The proof level here is me not being prodded into looking closely by a noticeable drop in crit dmg numbers at long range.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
The Manyshot nerf sucks. “Hey, you’ll do slightly better against trash, so it works out the same even though you have way less power when you really need it!”

Yeah, don’t piss on me snd tell me it’s raining, Turbine.

I was hoping that there would be a ranged improvement to give me a playable ranged character that I can enjoy with bows. Disappointed that it’s going to end up being a mild nerf instead of a buff.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 7:57pm:
Silver Longbow is to longbows what SoS/eSoS are to Two-Handers... talk about end of an era... fuck me

How? Its a lvl 9 f2p item. It should be farmable in an afternoon.

Or did you mean in terms of pre-nerf crit profile, not insanely low drop rate?

NOTpopejubal wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 10:34pm:
I was hoping that there would be a ranged improvement to give me a playable ranged character that I can enjoy with bows. Disappointed that it’s going to end up being a mild nerf instead of a buff.

The ranged improvement is coming in the Universal Bow Tree! All of these "enhancements"(thats what turbine calls nerfs) are to set the stage for the new tree that you absolutely totally will want to pay for!

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 12:36am
Print Post  
There is some good emotion building in the mobo thread, a few more posts and it could be time for some accounts to have a little vacay!

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #19 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
If they speed up the animations enough,  it could be a buff,  increase the speed and then adjust other things inline with a goal dps.  It's possible anyways.  SSG will fuck it up though I'm sure,  because SSG.

Sadly, this is what Cokedupjoe buried in the text about that:

" Conversely, for game performance reasons we don't want Bow builds shooting much (if any) faster than they currently do. However, we do want endgame bow builds to be stronger, so that means making each shot hit harder."

They are not going to be increasing the speed and it also looks like they are sticking to Severlin's bullshit about attack speed being responsible for lag.

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

SweetKitten
Waterworks Kobold

Meeow

Reply #20 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Hard to believe the plan had been to make underpowered archery better (while using the now to-be-nerfed raid bows) .
Only SSG manages to make a nerf out of that and still be arrogant enough to sell that as a positive change.
You're definitely not allowed to play the game like you like.

from the mobo thread:

a) Please make IPS viable on taller races. Right now it only works well on the small races.

b) You seem to be avoid the many comments on "burst is fun" to the idea of reducing burst damage to up sustained damage. Kindly reply to this as it is at the very core of being a bow user.

c) Unwavering Ardency and Pinion are raid bows. I did understand why you had to nerf Ratcatcher and Nightforged Spike but note that you did not nerf the Sword of Shadows. Similarly, please dont nerf the raid bows.

and as was to be expected the answer from steelstar

a) We don't have plans to adjust IPS at this time, sorry. We do know that launch angle is different on different races, we do not plan to change that as part of this pass.

b) Burst can indeed be fun! And we definitely get that some players enjoy the particular kind of burst that current-Manyshot gives. That said, we outlined in the original posts why we're looking to rebalance away from that style for Bows.

c) Sorry, we're still planning this change for those Bows.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #21 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 10:27am
Print Post  
SweetKitten wrote on Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:34am:
Hard to believe the plan had been to make underpowered archery better (while using the now to-be-nerfed raid bows) .
Only SSG manages to make a nerf out of that and still be arrogant enough to sell that as a positive change.
You're definitely not allowed to play the game like you like.

from the mobo thread:

a) Please make IPS viable on taller races. Right now it only works well on the small races.

b) You seem to be avoid the many comments on "burst is fun" to the idea of reducing burst damage to up sustained damage. Kindly reply to this as it is at the very core of being a bow user.

c) Unwavering Ardency and Pinion are raid bows. I did understand why you had to nerf Ratcatcher and Nightforged Spike but note that you did not nerf the Sword of Shadows. Similarly, please dont nerf the raid bows.

and as was to be expected the answer from steelstar

a) We don't have plans to adjust IPS at this time, sorry. We do know that launch angle is different on different races, we do not plan to change that as part of this pass.

b) Burst can indeed be fun! And we definitely get that some players enjoy the particular kind of burst that current-Manyshot gives. That said, we outlined in the original posts why we're looking to rebalance away from that style for Bows.

c) Sorry, we're still planning this change for those Bows.

They have a weird understanding of the word "sorry" as it feels more like a "fuck you" in the contest of the reply.

Good thing they are only planning those changes, imagine it those were to be the same release notes for the live....oh wait.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 10:37am
Print Post  
There are 2 things that are constant, and never change, and you can see them in every update.

1. SSG doesn't give a flying fuck about the players enjoyment of the game.

2. SSG devs have no fucking idea how to play their own game.

If you can get your brain twisted enough to see through that prism, every decision they make makes perfect sense and is the right thing to do.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #23 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
TL;DR Bow revamp:

Here's a drama, There's a drama, and another little drama
Fuzzy drama, Funny drama, drama drama duck

drama drama, cheesecake drama, tablet, brick, potato, drama
drama drama mushroom drama, drama drama duck

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #24 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Mar 24th, 2021 at 10:27am:
They have a weird understanding of the word "sorry" as it feels more like a "fuck you" in the contest of the reply.

Feels like they have a perfect(but misguided) definition. Also they cant say "fuck you" directly to the players, so thats kind of a good happy medium.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint