Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Update 4.9 version 35849 (Read 13784 times)
SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Update 4.9 version 35849
Apr 13th, 2021 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Disclaimer
Everything seen on the preview server, Lamannia, is not final and is subject to change or removal before live release.

Hello, all! Preview 3 of Update 49 is open! It is expected to remain open until sometime in the afternoon (Eastern) of Thursday April 15th.

There will be a dev event on Wednesday April 14th from 8-10 PM Eastern where members of the DDO team will be available to collect feedback and answer questions in real time on Lamannia.

This preview is meant as a last stability check on the update. The total number of changes between preview 2 and preview 3 is limited and so we've opted to make one post that contains all changes since preview 2 instead of concentrated threads for each topic. Everything besides the things listed in here are covered in the notes from preview 2. Those new changes are below:

New Adventure Pack: Perils of the Planar Eyes
        A deco pass has been completed on the couple of quests that had been missing it.
        Some of the monster statting has been adjusted
        Eye Know Whodunnit
            Levers that open secret doors will not be usable if the door is already opened
            The random chest that was not usable on occasion is now usable.
            The sparklies on feathers and kobold footprints are closer to their name tags.
    Named Loot
        Gorgon Docent is now updated
        Armor and jewelry/clothing now has augment slots
        Force epic sceptre now has force stuff instead of nullification
        Sora kell un-upgraded items are now level 11, upgraded to be level 13
        Base items now are 1.5w at level 10
        Set bonus is now +3 artifact to hit and damage
        You can upgrade wondrous items again
    Bow Combat Style Revamp
        Bow Strength has been rebuilt to work closer to other Ability-Score-To-Damage abilities in the game; you should now see it on examining bows you have equipped, and we fixed an issue where it would disappear if you had other Ability-Score-To-Damage abilities.
        Half Elf Dilettante: Ranger's "and can add up to 2 points of your Strength bonus to bow damage" portion now instead grants "+1 to Damage with Longbows and Shortbows". The feat otherwise remains the same, granting the other things that feat currently grants.
        Half Elf Improved Dilettante Ranger enhancements that granted additional points of strength to bow damage now grant +1 to Damage with Longbows and Shortbows instead; they otherwise remain the same, granting the other things they currently grant.
        Arcane Archer Final Strike now has its additional AOE damage scale with Ranged Power.
        The first hit of additional AOE damage from Arcane Archer Final Strike no longer scales with Ranger level, both on the Ranger and Elf versions; it is instead a static number of dice, scaling with Ranged Power, like the others. (It was the only effect on Final Strike using Ranger level to scale).
        Ranger Arcane Archer Final Strike no longer adds an erroneous extra +250 damage to its bow attack.
        Elven Arcane Archer Final Strike no longer adds an erroneous +10% Doubleshot.
    Combat Changes Focused on Boosting Game Performance (And Ripple Effects)
        There is a new icon for triple/quadra/penta-hits
        Sneak attack now doubles properly
        Ki now doubles properly
        Adrenaline's damage multiplier has been reduced from 300/300/300/400% to 150/150/150/200%
        Fury Eternal's 33% chance to regain an Adrenaline charge on vorpal has been increased to 100%
        Hunt's End damage multiplier has been reduced from 400% to 300%
        Hunt's End cooldown has been reduced from 24sec to 18sec
        Aasimar Scourge has lost its 2% Offhand Doublestrike per copy (as that stat no longer exists) and has gained an additional 1% Doublestrike per copy in its place (It now grants a total of 2% per copy, because it gave +1% before)
        Fury Eternal and Fury Made Placid's tooltips no longer claim that the two abilities are antirequisites of each other; they aren't.
        Tempest Capstone (Dervish) has lost its 25% Offhand Doublestrike (as that stat no longer exists) and has gained +10% Doublestrike.
        Reformatted text on Tempest's other Core abilities to be closer to current standards. (No functional changes).
    Miscellaneous Changes
        Fixed an issue that causes bear and wolf form to throw extra attack hooks with many active attacks
        Fixed an issue that caused Momentum Swing to hit more times than it should. The skill's animation has changed.
        Fixed an issue that caused Holy Retribution to hit more times than it should. The skill's animation has changed

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Re: Update 4.9 version 35849
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Kudos to SSG for proving yet again that they simply don’t get it. 

I mean, they’re like a retarded dog that you have to force outside so it won’t shit on your floor again, but it can’t wait to run outside and eat that same turd two days later.  Now, that very same shit pile is in danger of being re-shat onto your floor.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I think it's getting close to time for another extended break.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I could be wrong, but it appears that the build/tree that is getting crushed with this update is AA.

Keep in mind that the conclusions I'm drawing here are based on AA primarily being CC and instakills as opposed to the ongoing damage of say a DWS, elemental arrows notwithstanding. Here is a list of the items being ding'd in the AA tree by the changes along with brief explanations.

1 and 2:
Starting with the doubleshot nerf in the cores, In AA style the number of hits is of the upmost import as you want to proc vorpal, crits, and stack effects of your arrows and generate SP. With that being the case the change to mechanic s of Double shot has a large adverse impact on AA that it doesn't have on other bow builds. Going beyond just the bumps to shots you used to get with the cores +25% overall increases to double shot will mean larger single-shot damage multipliers to others in the case of AA it means the possibility to trigger the abilities you spent all you AP on is at best halved and at worst reduced by 3/4.  Replaces loss with nothing.

3:
Mild buff, in that being able to hit will be a lot more important with the doubleshot changes because missing once means missing all. So the +hit of the AA tree will be more important.

4:
Dispel shot, the nerfed doubleshot chances to strip deathblock and other mob buffs means that you will have to buy three ranks and hope for the best. Replaces with nothing other than slight damage buff.

5:
Inferno, with the nerfed doublshot and the 3 second cooldown it's impossible to get any decent stacks built up as they expired. Replaces with mild Damage increase.

6:
Shattermantle, Nerfed stacks and vastly reduces chances for vorpal procs. Replaces with nothing.

7:
Terror Arrows, This is huge. Nerfed chances for Vorpal PK. Makes a hard to justify build absolutely fucked now. Replaces with nothing.

8:
Soul Magic, doublshot nerf reduces the SP generation, that 15% chance won't do shit now. Replaces with nothing.

9:
Banish, nerfs both the Vorpal effect chances and guts the rate you can stack pull of reality. And replaces it with nothing.

10:
Smite, nerfs the Vorpal chances and replaces itwith nothing. 

11: Possible mechanical increase to damage... if you hit.

12: Custom increase to damage, especially multi-class builds.

13: nerfs stacks and ongoing effects.

Really the changes will reduce the AA tree to secondary damage tree as opposed to anything moderately unique. Not the end of the world, but I definitely didn't get the impression that Lynnabel had a clue about what it would really be doing. Don't get me wrong, I love damage, but if I want damage I wouldn't be using the AA the way half of it was designed in the first place.

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
This really is a double dose of "your fun is wrong".

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 5:49pm:
This really is a double dose of "your fun is wrong".

Brownstar is probably proud of itself.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 6:10pm:

Hmm, If I had to categorize all the terrible people with terrible builds it would be 3 main buckets:

1) Name has some type of drizzt in it
2) rogue/wizard/ melee 3 class hybrid
3) Pure bow ranger in heroics

Wouldn't they be draw to these bad builds?

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 6:10pm:

Hmm, If I had to categorize all the terrible people with terrible builds it would be 3 main buckets:

1) Name has some type of drizzt in it
2) rogue/wizard/ melee 3 class hybrid
3) Pure bow ranger in heroics
4) *late addition - guy who starts talking over chat and in party chat about how awesome his build is the moment you join the group. Without anyone asking...

Wouldn't they be draw to these bad builds?

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Really packing the nerfs in again. Boring.

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Yay?

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Still way too many impotent shots from ranged on third preview. Either Lam is too fucked to test as per Live (and if so, what's the fucking point of it being a preview server?) or they have really ballsed up the ranged pass in another way too.

If this change and the weapon swap delay go live they're going to seriously undermine an important selling point of this game. The fast, fluid combat is most of what it has going for it.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 9:40am:
Still way too many impotent shots from ranged on third preview. Either Lam is too fucked to test as per Live (and if so, what's the fucking point of it being a preview server?) or they have really ballsed up the ranged pass in another way too.

If this change and the weapon swap delay go live they're going to seriously undermine an important selling point of this game. The fast, fluid combat is most of what it has going for it.

Shit’s so bunged up on lam atm that I can’t tell if it’s lag, them fucking shit up even more...or both

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 3:07pm:
Shit’s so bunged up on lam atm that I can’t tell if it’s lag, them fucking shit up even more...or both

If in doubt,  never question SSG's ability to fuck up multiple things all at the same time.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
My favorite is when completely unrelated things for fucked.......like when Von 6 wsn't completable after they did something completely unrelated.

We'll be lucky if when we use teleport we don't end up in a lava pool in the twelve.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
It is impressive how interconnected the game is.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 4:05pm:
It is impressive how interconnected the game is.

Stinky rather than impressive.  I suspect that it's a sign of how much of an object orgy the code is.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #16 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 3:58pm:
My favorite is when completely unrelated things for fucked.......like when Von 6 wsn't completable after they did something completely unrelated.

We'll be lucky if when we use teleport we don't end up in a lava pool in the twelve.

...or, stuck in a wall. 

Wait... 

That actually happened to one of my guildies in Kind of a Big Deal when that artifact makes everybody large...she was literally teleported into the wall.  Couldn't "/stuck" her way out either. 

Wait again... 

That actually happened to her twice, in back-to-back runs.

Regardless, I'd bet more mind-boggingly stupid shit like that starts going down if the current batch of rodeo clowns keep bunging around with things that they may or may not have the skillsets to not completely fuck up.

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #17 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I’ve been in a run of Cry for Help years ago that locked up at the point where you pull the two levers to lower draw bridges and it fucked up where the levers pulled and the bridges did not drop. We waited for an hour for a DM who initially wanted us to recall and he’d reset the quest.  The sheer balls of that “fix” still gives me the giggles.  We of course said Fuck no and they eventually teleported us to the end room. 

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 5:22pm:
...or, stuck in a wall. 

Wait... 

That actually happened to one of my guildies in Kind of a Big Deal when that artifact makes everybody large...she was literally teleported into the wall.  Couldn't "/stuck" her way out either. 

Wait again... 

That actually happened to her twice, in back-to-back runs.

Regardless, I'd bet more mind-boggingly stupid shit like that starts going down if the current batch of rodeo clowns keep bunging around with things that they may or may not have the skillsets to not completely fuck up.

So the first time I run something I tend to solo it on elite or r1 depending.  It usually gives me an idea of how hard the quest is scaled and lets me flower sniff.

My first time in that quest I got that bug.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Shadehater wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 6:03pm:
I’ve been in a run of Cry for Help years ago that locked up at the point where you pull the two levers to lower draw bridges and it fucked up where the levers pulled and the bridges did not drop. We waited for an hour for a DM who initially wanted us to recall and he’d reset the quest.  The sheer balls of that “fix” still gives me the giggles.  We of course said Fuck no and they eventually teleported us to the end room. 

Known issue if you pull both levers at about same time, the bridges won't drop. 
Always call it out if you are splitting party there.

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #20 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
A lot of people talk about how shitty the code is, so why don’t you suggest a way to fix it with how much it will cost them for you to do it?

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #21 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 7:24pm:
Known issue if you pull both levers at about same time, the bridges won't drop. 
Always call it out if you are splitting party there.

That is not what occurred but thanks for letting everyone know of a known issue that Turbine has never fessed up to

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Mattyo wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 9:09pm:
A lot of people talk about how shitty the code is, so why don’t you suggest a way to fix it with how much it will cost them for you to do it?

Total Engine rewrite for the server.  5 people 150k per year, and a couple years time.

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #23 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 8:31am
Print Post  
So is that a feasible solution for a game that is currently active?  And does that include A-B testing etc?

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Mattyo wrote on Apr 15th, 2021 at 8:31am:
So is that a feasible solution for a game that is currently active?  And does that include A-B testing etc?

It's top of my head, back of the napkin math.  As far as feasibility,  the other option would be to have the engineers fix the problems in the current code.  This would like take longer and cost more.  All signs are that the DDO code is a nightmare.  I say that seriously,  from things the devs have said,  it seems like every code smell that college profs talk about.  I'm not sure that I'd want to see their server code regardless of how much they paid me.  It sounds like a massive pain in the ass.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint