Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Update 4.9 version 35849 (Read 13909 times)
ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Update 4.9 version 35849
Reply #100 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Kinda bewildered myself with this thought:

Staff loves to bitch about how certain classes when combined with certain ‘builds’ (we all know and love as the meta-max) tend to over-perform DPS wise. So they nerf certain aspects OF that DPS to put them further in-line with other classes & builds… ad infinitum…

They announce that certain builds and classes are not performing well enough, so they make up the deficit by increasing the effects and procs available to those classes….

NOW they claim there are too many effects and procs… that it’s bogging down the que and creating lag. Their solution is to cut back on the rate these effects and procs and generate… supposedly this will reduce the load on the processing que…

So now it will actually take longer to kill mobs and bosses, because we aren’t spawning the procs and effects as often as we need…. Which likely means needed de-buffs will wear off and dragging out fights even further… which just floods the cue in surges rather than a steady pace…. (provided most of the party isn’t dead by now)…

I guess  this means the next big ‘announcement’ by staff will be that to address the significant loss of over-all party damage output the reduction in procs caused… they are going to restore some of the previously reduced DPS?

I mean..  wait… wut?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #101 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Apr 19th, 2021 at 9:40pm:
he fucking owns a huge stake in ssg

How do you figure? jerry was just a salaried employee at Turbine before they became SSG, NOT one of the company founders or a dev. Unless he somehow saved up a ton of moeny while working a job we have to assume pays shit for wages, how did he manage to buy a stake in the game?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #102 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 5:25pm:
NOW they claim there are too many effects and procs… that it’s bogging down the que and creating lag. Their solution is to cut back on the rate these effects and procs and generate… supposedly this will reduce the load on the processing que…

This is iust a general issue with scaling. They didn't even plan for the game to scale to 20 when they released it, let alone 30.

And these clowns want to take it up to 40, that should be fun.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #103 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 5:37pm:
This is iust a general issue with scaling. They didn't even plan for the game to scale to 20 when they released it, let alone 30.

And these clowns want to take it up to 40, that should be fun.

The hp values shouldn't matter.  Think about it.  If you aren't in one fight,  you're in another, and the computer doesn't care if it's one hp sack or another.  So, there is always combat.  So the only way that it should matter is if hp is overflowing the its type.  Shorts are 0 - 32767
ints can go to +- 2147483647

I would be shocked if they were using shorts.

They are however apparently running their server without using much multithreading apparently.

IP Logged

Farmer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Dharma!

Reply #104 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Farmer wrote on Apr 18th, 2021 at 7:19pm:
~ The complainers will be swarmed by the forum paladins and will get an infraction/ban if they dare to talk back.

You have received a warning at Dungeons & Dragons Online Forums.

Reason:
-------
Community Rules Violation: Please read the community rules and follow them.

No gatekeeping by picking forced fights.

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #105 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 5:28pm:
How do you figure? jerry was just a salaried employee at Turbine before they became SSG, NOT one of the company founders or a dev. Unless he somehow saved up a ton of moeny while working a job we have to assume pays shit for wages, how did he manage to buy a stake in the game?

It was clearly a joke.

Although, if we assume that Fat Jerry gets free donuts and protein injections at work, he might save a bit on food.  And its a sure bet that the company pays for his kneepads.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #106 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The hp values shouldn't matter.  Think about it.  If you aren't in one fight,  you're in another, and the computer doesn't care if it's one hp sack or another.  So, there is always combat.  So the only way that it should matter is if hp is overflowing the its type.  Shorts are 0 - 32767
ints can go to +- 2147483647

I would be shocked if they were using shorts.

I wasn't referring to HP values, I was referring to procs.

Essentially they didn't plan ahead. If they were smart they would have sat down and looked at the game from the start "Ok, this level 1 sword does an extra 1d6 fire damage... so a good sword at end-game(currently lvl 10) might do 3d6." This is where their line of thinking stopped, so now you've got a sword at lvl 30 that does 15d6 + a shitload of other things.

Then you start getting into doubleshot/doublestrike, rapid fire, etc, etc, etc, and that's where all the overhead comes in: too damn many dice roles. If you took a typical endgame DDO character and tried to work out how many physical dice you needed per attack, i imagine it would be A LOT.

...that totally sounds like a fun project, actually.

Quote:
They are however apparently running their server without using much multithreading apparently. 

This is not surprising at all given the history. Remember: DDO owes much of it's server arcitecture to Asheron's Call, which predates multi-core CPUs by a lot. Waaaaaaaay back in the day, conventional wisdom was to use dual-socket servers, with 1 CPU to run the game code and a second to run the server OS(and of course you always had clusters of servers - so 1 for chat, 1 for logins, etc). At the time there was really no reason to go the extra mile and multi-thread your software because quad-socket servers were exponentially more expensive. It was easier to optimize your code or split elements out into additional hardware.

The first dual-core CPUs didn't hit the market until 2005(thus allowing for 4 CPUs on a dual-socket board). Development of DDO started, what, 2002, 2003ish? Unless you were a DEEP insider in the tech industry back then, it was pretty easy not to predict the rise of multi-core CPUs.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #107 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Your offhand can only doublestrike a maximum of 50% of the time.

from the release notes.  Was this how it always was or is this new?

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #108 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 9:12pm:

I thought technically you had the possibility, but realistically it wasn't productively achievable... I think certain types of weapons had an auto deduction from the off-hand double

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #109 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 9:12pm:

This is new.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #110 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 12:58am
Print Post  
The arsehats have committed to a cap increase.
The arsehat have also claimed that they have hit the top end of the engines performance with procs.... Or blah blah blah spaghetti code lag, effects queue, halo effect, slot in any other bullshit term to mean they fucked it up.

So if they really want to increase the cap, this is the first of a series of nerfs they are gonna need to do so 40 can actually happen.
Lynnabels ED cluster fuck will be the next one I suspect.

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

SSG .. making shit a reality.

Reply #111 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 2:36am
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Apr 21st, 2021 at 12:58am:
The arsehat have also claimed that they have hit the top end of the engines performance with procs.... Or blah blah blah spaghetti code lag, effects queue, halo effect, slot in any other bullshit term to mean they fucked it up.

So if they really want to increase the cap, this is the first of a series of nerfs they are gonna need to do so 40 can actually happen.

Seems I timed my forum ban just right.  Now I'll burn what turdstone points I have left doing stupid shit and call this game once and for all.

DDO is like the kama sutra with one position.

Gunga wrote on Apr 6th, 2021 at 9:31am:
This game doesn’t deserve great players, honestly.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #112 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
The only thing that those imbecilic shit stains have managed to do is flip the same switch in my brain that made me quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey back in 2013. 

This time instead of being disgusted at the thought of giving more money to Joe Camel, I’m disgusted at the thought of giving those undeserving cucks at SSG another fucking penny.

On the bright side, I’ll have probably saved myself at least a couple thousand dollars by years end.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #113 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Apr 21st, 2021 at 5:06pm:
The only thing that those imbecilic shit stains have managed to do is flip the same switch in my brain that made me quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey back in 2013. 

This time instead of being disgusted at the thought of giving more money to Joe Camel, I’m disgusted at the thought of giving those undeserving cucks at SSG another fucking penny.

On the bright side, I’ll have probably saved myself at least a couple thousand dollars by years end.

I haven't purchased a Microsoft product or owned a windows system since Microsoft pissed me off with their CS when I had a red ring of death and since I was 1 month out of warranty with having to send it in for repairs twice before previously and their advice was to buy a new unit.

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

Reply #114 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey back in 2013

Well done!

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #115 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
... quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey back in 2013.... 

Fucking quitter...  Smiley

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #116 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Apr 21st, 2021 at 12:58am:

Yet the very first item in the loot preview has a chance of proccing spell power increases.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #117 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 1:11am
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Apr 22nd, 2021 at 12:51am:
Yet the very first item in the loot preview has a chance of proccing spell power increases.

At a rate now substantially reduced by update 49.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #118 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
I was thinking about a WF build; the FU49. 17Wiz/3War, Shiradi MM/CM/PL:Wiz/Eldritch Cone/EA Sunburst/AM Arcane Blast/PM Aura/Inquis bolts (to supplement all the spells with yet more effect proc chances). Focus everything on fucking the effect queue.

Maybe a bit of RP for dmg but that'd be gravy. Cheesy

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #119 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
*Soundburst.

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #120 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Just ran my Ranger on hardcore. New bow changes suck, slow as shit on the first lifer.

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #121 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Apr 22nd, 2021 at 2:49pm:
I was thinking about a WF build; the FU49. 17Wiz/3War, Shiradi MM/CM/PL:Wiz/Eldritch Cone/EA Sunburst/AM Arcane Blast/PM Aura/Inquis bolts (to supplement all the spells with yet more effect proc chances). Focus everything on fucking the effect queue.

Maybe a bit of RP for dmg but that'd be gravy. Cheesy

Here's the challenge,  max those procs then figure out a way for it to perform well.  Then post the build everywhere.  Get everyone playing it.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #122 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 8:12pm:
Essentially they didn't plan ahead. If they were smart they would have sat down and looked at the game from the start "Ok, this level 1 sword does an extra 1d6 fire damage... so a good sword at end-game(currently lvl 10) might do 3d6." This is where their line of thinking stopped, so now you've got a sword at lvl 30 that does 15d6 + a shitload of other things.

I don't think a 3d6 proc takes more computing resources than a 15d6 proc. The game isn't rolling 15 dice, it just generates a random number between 15 and 90. It's the "shitload of other things" that is (supposedly) causing the trouble.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #123 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 23rd, 2021 at 4:26pm:
I don't think a 3d6 proc takes more computing resources than a 15d6 proc. The game isn't rolling 15 dice, it just generates a random number between 15 and 90. It's the "shitload of other things" that is (supposedly) causing the trouble.

I'm pretty sure that they are rolling 15d6. 

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

Reply #124 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Apr 23rd, 2021 at 4:38pm:
I'm pretty sure that they are rolling 15d6. 

Here is the dice rolling and coding department of SSG.  The least expensive to fund but most productive.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint