Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Ready for Ed preview on Lam? (Read 21299 times)
Rickyretardo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Ready for Ed preview on Lam?
Reply #100 - Jun 18th, 2021 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Jun 18th, 2021 at 6:13pm:
Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, and a few others…

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2906216/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

chris pine, he must really hate all the other similar named guy actors like him... he is good thou, I like him, but think it will tank worse than titanic and enron due to the D and D factor....

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #101 - Jun 18th, 2021 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Jun 18th, 2021 at 6:07pm:
Well, um…it’s not like D&D movies have a good track record.  The last one was so fucking horrible I’m surprised there hasn’t been a Rifftrax version yet.

Rickyretardo wrote on Jun 18th, 2021 at 6:36pm:
chris pine, he must really hate all the other similar named guy actors like him... he is good thou, I like him, but think it will tank worse than titanic and enron due to the D and D factor....

Yeah that's kinda my point. Betting the entire game on whether or not "A D&D movie" is a blockbuster is not a fantastic plan. I'm not saying I believe the movie will be bad, I have no judgements. However, the last D&D movie was bad, several have been bad, and the D&D fanbase is at times more toxic than starwars nerds when it comes to "the lore".

Counting on the success of this film to bring in players is an unwise strategy at best.

But, then, isn't that the only kind of strategy SSG knows?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #102 - Jun 19th, 2021 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Rickyretardo wrote on Jun 18th, 2021 at 6:36pm:

Dude! Titanic made James Cameron richer than god, come on do better. Lol

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

Rickyretardo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #103 - Jun 19th, 2021 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Dragonborn wrote on Jun 19th, 2021 at 12:06am:
Dude! Titanic made James Cameron richer than god, come on do better. Lol

I obviously wasn´t hinting at the Cameron movie, but the actual ship.. that fucking thing tanked.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #104 - Jun 19th, 2021 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Rickyretardo wrote on Jun 19th, 2021 at 12:54am:
I obviously wasn´t hinting at the Cameron movie, but the actual ship.. that fucking thing tanked.

Depends on who you ask.

There's a quite compelling theory that the ship which sank was actually the Titanic's sister ship, the Olympic. Olympic had been involved in a collision a year earlier and was thus uninsurable. Both ships were nearly identical, except for a few pieces of kit with their respective names on them. The idea is that, under cover of night, the two ships were swapped. Thus the ship that sank that fateful night was actually the Olympic in drag, while the ship that spent the next 20 odd years in service as the Olympic was actually the brand new state of the art Titanic.

If you look at it from that perspective, the Titanic was a huge success, both financially(the Olympic made a profit every eyar until 1933) and by insurance(since White Star got to collect the money for the "Titanic" sinking).

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #105 - Jun 19th, 2021 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Rickyretardo wrote on Jun 19th, 2021 at 12:54am:

Gosh, I'm sorry I didn't realize! honest! total mistake! absolutely not trolling or pulling your chain... hahahaha!

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

ExploitEarly
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #106 - Jun 19th, 2021 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 18th, 2021 at 8:50pm:
Yeah that's kinda my point. Betting the entire game on whether or not "A D&D movie" is a blockbuster is not a fantastic plan.

This is projecting way, way, way too much pre-planning thought into SSG.  These guys barely think past next quarter.  Basing their decision on a waste of celluloid for 2023 (where IMDB has it)...? lmao 

I'll take the other side of a DnD Film bet any day of the week.  Easiest payout outside a rigged slot machine.

The directors attached to the film are garbage, the writer who penned the script only wrote a draft, & the Hasbro/Paramount corporate re-writes will be garbage.  They'll be lucky if it doesn't go DTV, I mean Netflix, and the only people who watch are the people who put "DnD" in their Tinder profiles.

Swipe left.   Roll Eyes

When HBO announces a DnD series, then you are permitted to care.  Grin

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #107 - Jun 19th, 2021 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
ExploitEarly wrote on Jun 19th, 2021 at 1:53pm:
This is projecting way, way, way too much pre-planning thought into SSG.  These guys barely think past next quarter.  Basing their decision on a waste of celluloid for 2023 (where IMDB has it)...? lmao 

Oh shit, its THAT far out? Yeah, even without the shitfest ED nerfs DDO was going to be just this side of maintenance mode by 2023.

Ya know what's really sad by way of comparison? EVE Online has figured out how to make the game immortal. That game launched in 2003; and via a combination of deep mechanics, mixing up the status quo, and active efforts to gain and keep new players, the game is set to blow past all records for longest-running MMO. The dev team on EVE thinks they can keep the game going for decades.

IP Logged

ExploitEarly
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #108 - Jun 19th, 2021 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 19th, 2021 at 2:27pm:
Oh shit, its THAT far out? Yeah, even without the shitfest ED nerfs DDO was going to be just this side of maintenance mode by 2023.

Ya know what's really sad by way of comparison? EVE Online has figured out how to make the game immortal. That game launched in 2003; and via a combination of deep mechanics, mixing up the status quo, and active efforts to gain and keep new players, the game is set to blow past all records for longest-running MMO. The dev team on EVE thinks they can keep the game going for decades.

That's IMDB.  Officially they advertised May '22 (it got kicked from Nov '21 already).  They're still attaching names to the film as of this spring, lol.

Point is, it is no tentpole release and there's nothing about it that makes me give a shit.

Ensemble cast:  check
Hugh Grant:  check
Meh directors: check
Nobody writer: check
Corporate rewrites: mother-fucking-check

Maybe, maybe, if someone wrote a really strong single character based movie and avoided the corporate rewrites (you know, a real director), you could sprinkle in the DnD bits like Easter Eggs and make a good film.  But, that is not what is going to happen.

Instead, they're going to go for nerd pants-jizz and basically run a punch card of DnD precious moments, which means garbage fucking film while the jab the nerd jizz button like a Montana squirrel on meth.   Cheesy

What it won't be, is HBO's Watchmen, that is for fucks sure.

It's going to smell like desperation and old tissues in the theaters it shows in.
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2021 at 3:40pm by ExploitEarly »  

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #109 - Jun 19th, 2021 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
ExploitEarly wrote on Jun 19th, 2021 at 3:38pm:
That's IMDB.  Officially they advertised May '22 (it got kicked from Nov '21 already).  They're still attaching names to the film as of this spring, lol.

Point is, it is no tentpole release and there's nothing about it that makes me give a shit.

Maybe, maybe, if someone wrote a really strong single character based movie and avoided the corporate rewrites (you know, a real director), you could sprinkle in the DnD bits like Easter Eggs and make a good film.  But, that is not what is going to happen.

Instead, they're going to go for nerd pants-jizz and basically run a punch card of DnD precious moments, which means garbage fucking film while the jab the nerd jizz button like a Montana squirrel on meth.   Cheesy

It's going to smell like desperation and old tissues in the theaters it shows in.

While I believe that you’re 100% correct here, I really wish it wasn’t the case.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #110 - Jun 19th, 2021 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
ExploitEarly wrote on Jun 19th, 2021 at 3:38pm:

I suspect the core problem is that Hasbro wants way too fucking much for the film rights to DnD, and that's why we get shit like this time after time. If it costs 8 figures to get the film rights you KNOW that means the studio is going to be right up the production's ass in an effort to ensure it "goes well" and no movie with that much oversight ever goes well.

Clearly, the way to make a DnD movie is to make it without the DnD. Take a look at the Mythica film franchise sometime. Low budget, unknown actors, no recognizable setting. But the series is so obviously Dungeons and Dragons right down to having specific character classes and the party meeting in a tavern. They made 6 films like that.

Or look at the oldschool Anime called Slayers. They had something like 10 season,s 3 spinoffs, 6 movies, etc. All based on a series of light novels based on someone's DnD campaign.

If you want to make a DnD thing, just make it and change enough that Hasbro can't sue you.

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

SSG .. making shit a reality.

Reply #111 - Jun 19th, 2021 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 19th, 2021 at 9:59pm:
They made 6 films like that.

I think it was 5.  At least, I've only got the 5 mentioned here.

Kevin Sorbo was Hercules.  That was kind of cool to see him in it.

The series was watchable and considering the budget I think they did ok.

Gunga wrote on Apr 6th, 2021 at 9:31am:
This game doesn’t deserve great players, honestly.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #112 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 9:00am
Print Post  
AAH wrote on Jun 19th, 2021 at 10:38pm:

Kevin Sorbo was Hercules.  That was kind of cool to see him in it.

The series was watchable and considering the budget I think they did ok.

I watched the first 3 I think but couldnt find the 4th and 5th for free.

Little cheesy and low budget, but not bad at all really.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

ExploitEarly
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #113 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 19th, 2021 at 9:59pm:
I suspect the core problem is that Hasbro wants way too fucking much for the film rights to DnD, and that's why we get shit like this time after time. If it costs 8 figures to get the film rights you KNOW that means the studio is going to be right up the production's ass in an effort to ensure it "goes well" and no movie with that much oversight ever goes well.

Clearly, the way to make a DnD movie is to make it without the DnD. Take a look at the Mythica film franchise sometime. Low budget, unknown actors, no recognizable setting. But the series is so obviously Dungeons and Dragons right down to having specific character classes and the party meeting in a tavern. They made 6 films like that.

Or look at the oldschool Anime called Slayers. They had something like 10 season,s 3 spinoffs, 6 movies, etc. All based on a series of light novels based on someone's DnD campaign.

If you want to make a DnD thing, just make it and change enough that Hasbro can't sue you.

Right's holders being stupid about their own IP really has no sliding cost scale.  I've seen $5k upfront deals where the holder was the most myopic, thick-skulled idiot, and was willing to sink a project on a property no human being even cared about.  They all think only "they" know the IP being developed.  Please, most of them were on coke or similars when they came up with it.  Roll Eyes

Hasbro may still try.  Hershey went to bat trying to sue a friend of mine over 1.5 yrs based on their extremely liberal take on their IP rights.

But yes, the overall thrust is correct.  Be far enough away to do a good story, and stick to mostly open concepts and avoid the accountants.  Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2021 at 12:25pm by ExploitEarly »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #114 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
AAH wrote on Jun 19th, 2021 at 10:38pm:

Ok apparently the 5th film was released as "The Godslayer" AND "The Dragonslayer" which led me to mistakenly believe I had discovered a 6th film I didn't previously know about. And the covers don't help at all.

somenewnoob wrote on Jun 20th, 2021 at 9:00am:
Little cheesy and low budget, but not bad at all really.

They're infinitely watchable. Its no Lord of the Rings but I dare say Mythica will prove measurably better than that upcoming DnD film.

ExploitEarly wrote on Jun 20th, 2021 at 12:24pm:
Right's holders being stupid about their own IP really has no sliding cost scale.  I've seen $5k upfront deals where the holder was the most myopic, thick-skulled idiot, and was willing to sink a project on a property no human being even cared about.  They all think only "they" know the IP being developed.  Please, most of them were on coke or similars when they came up with it.  Roll Eyes

Hasbro may still try.  Hershey went to bat trying to sue a friend of mine over 1.5 yrs based on their extremely liberal take on their IP rights.

But yes, the overall thrust is correct.  Be far enough away to do a good story, and stick to mostly open concepts and avoid the accountants.  Grin

Its not the rightsholders being stupid its the rights holders wanted a lot of money. Its entirely possible the DnD IP is absolutely worth $150,000,000 to make a movie. The problem is that means the movie now costs $150,000,000 + the budget of the film(which if you spent $150 million on rights you're probably looking at another $500,000,000+ to justify those rights.

So now you've got a 700 million dollar movie in production. Obviously the executives are going to meddle the SHIT out of that. Imagine a bunch of old white guys who have no idea what D&D is making creative decions about the D&D movie. Ain't no way in hell that ends well.

IP Logged

ExploitEarly
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #115 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 20th, 2021 at 1:40pm:
Its not the rightsholders being stupid its the rights holders wanted a lot of money. Its entirely possible the DnD IP is absolutely worth $150,000,000 to make a movie. The problem is that means the movie now costs $150,000,000 + the budget of the film(which if you spent $150 million on rights you're probably looking at another $500,000,000+ to justify those rights.

So now you've got a 700 million dollar movie in production. Obviously the executives are going to meddle the SHIT out of that. Imagine a bunch of old white guys who have no idea what D&D is making creative decions about the D&D movie. Ain't no way in hell that ends well.

Your confused about how licensing deals are written and how IP holders actually are involved.

If a licensor gets 150M guarantee from a deal, they don't give a shit whether the project shits the bed.  That guarantee is called a guarantee for a reason.  Most deals aren't front-loaded like that anyhow, because a license no one is willing to pay for isn't a license worth owning.  Aka no way Hasbro is asking for a 150M for DnD (I could probably find out what they would ask, but that's here nor there).  They would certainly get a mix of

I can tell you definitively that a product license from Disney goes for a 200k upfront guarantee right now.  For film it would certainly be more, but pure fantasies about Hasbro's license costs are still fantasies.  If Hasbro doesn't license IP, they don't have a growing business since a huge amount is based on just that.

After a deal is signed, the people in Hasbro, or any IP holder, who "approve" content decisions aren't the bean-counters, they are the creative types.  They aren't motivated by money so much as cockamamie ideas about their IP and how it should be treated.  This is hella amusing because rights holders whore out licenses left and right when they need cash to anybody with a checkbook (see Vegas licensing show), but somehow they are the ones who think they know the IP better than the people who are going to sell it.  Somebody over at Legendary isn't critiquing a product because they they they know how to sell more, they are just being stupid when they ask to move the mouth a couple centimeters on way.

The people at the top of Hasbro don't make content decisions.  They don't have time for that, nor would they ever. 

It's IP simps in the middle that do that.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #116 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
I'd say 50K + 20 or 30% of the revenues. ( and I'm probably guessing low. )

But it's never ever a single upfront sum... just because if you end up with a Titanic, an Avatar or an MCU movie you want to have a share of the revenue pie.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

Reply #117 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 20th, 2021 at 1:40pm:
Ok apparently the 5th film was released as "The Godslayer" AND "The Dragonslayer" which led me to mistakenly believe I had discovered a 6th film I didn't previously know about. And the covers don't help at all.

Ahh yes.  Mine came as a 5 pack so it had a generic cover for all titles but the disc itself says The Dragon Slayer and IMDB says The Godslayer.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #118 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
AAH wrote on Jun 20th, 2021 at 4:02pm:
Ahh yes.  Mine came as a 5 pack so it had a generic cover for all titles but the disc itself says The Dragon Slayer and IMDB says The Godslayer.

Yeah. I bought the generic 5 pack AND "The Dragon Slayer" on a separate disk thinking it was a sixth movie I hadn't heard about.

Weirder still: The Dragon Slayer has a picture of a fucking dragon on the cover. The movie has nothing to do with slaying a dragon. Why would you do that?!

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #119 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
ExploitEarly wrote on Jun 20th, 2021 at 2:17pm:
Your confused about how licensing deals are written and how IP holders actually are involved.

Now, you're confused about who I am saying is going to fuck with the film. Let me distill it down:

Hasbro: "We want a lot of money for the rights. After that, do whatever the fuck you want."

THE STUDIO WHO BOUGHT THE RIGHTS: "We just paid a lot of money for these rights, best micro-manage the shit out of it to avoid fucking it up."

(Hint: the micromanaging inevitably fucks it up)

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

Reply #120 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 20th, 2021 at 6:53pm:
Yeah. I bought the generic 5 pack AND "The Dragon Slayer" on a separate disk thinking it was a sixth movie I hadn't heard about.

Weirder still: The Dragon Slayer has a picture of a fucking dragon on the cover. The movie has nothing to do with slaying a dragon. Why would you do that?!

Mine has a picture of some dude with a giant impossible-to-wield hammer.

I think he's a photo bombing bridge builder.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #121 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
AAH wrote on Jun 20th, 2021 at 7:10pm:
Mine has a picture of some dude with a giant impossible-to-wield hammer.

I think he's a photo bombing bridge builder.

http://itsalljunk.com/mythica5.jpg

That would be the legendary hammer they need to save the day, IE "totally relevant to the plot". Things not relevant to the plot of that film: an dragon.

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

Reply #122 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 20th, 2021 at 7:46pm:
That would be the legendary hammer they need to save the day, IE "totally relevant to the plot". Things not relevant to the plot of that film: an dragon.

Yeah I think I'll have to watch them again.  Cannot recall any of it.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #123 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
AAH wrote on Jun 20th, 2021 at 8:14pm:
Yeah I think I'll have to watch them again.  Cannot recall any of it.

If you're the sort that likes to have the TV on in the background while you work/game/etc they are really good for that. Honestly if you focus on the quality of the acting and the cinametography(and ignore the lackluster special effects) they are really enjoyable.

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

Reply #124 - Jun 21st, 2021 at 1:54am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 20th, 2021 at 9:43pm:
If you're the sort that likes to have the TV on in the background while you work/game/etc they are really good for that. Honestly if you focus on the quality of the acting and the cinametography(and ignore the lackluster special effects) they are really enjoyable.

Did you notice the 5th one had a little post credits scene?  It was actually kind of funny.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Send TopicPrint