Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic S/S/S revamp (Read 5086 times)
Artorias
Shroud Slacker

S/S/S revamp
Jun 23rd, 2021 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/525006-U50-Preview-1-Scroll-Seal-Shard...

-----

Quote:
Disclaimer
Everything seen on the preview server, Lamannia, is not final and is subject to change or removal before live release.

Update 50 includes the complete refactor of the Seal/Scroll/Shard crafting system, which is usually abbreviated to s/s/s. There's a lot to get into, so let's dive right in.

All of the rest of the Heroic items from the s/s/s item packs will be revamped as part of this pass. This includes the following adventure packs:

Web of Chaos
    The Vault of Night
    The Chronoscope
    The Sands of Menachterun (NOTE: Not present in this preview!)
    Phiarlan Carnival (already completed in U39)
    The Red Fens (already completed in U36)
    Sentinels of Stormreach (already completed in U40)

All of the Epic items from the above packs will also be revamped to bring them up to appropriate scaling values (as with our other revamps).

Finally, all of the above packs will get level 30 Legendary versions of their items that will be competitive for endgame play.

So, what's changing with the upgrade flow?

Heroic items will continue to drop as-is.

Epic items are obtained in the Altar of Epic Rituals with the following recipe: Heroic Item + 50 Pack Ingredients* ( + 5 Greater Tokens of the Twelve if the item is from a Raid)

Legendary items are obtained in a new Altar of Legendary Rituals with the following recipe: Epic Item + 100 Pack Ingredients + 5 Star Fragments** ( + 250 Threads of Fate if the item is from a Raid)

*: Pack Ingredients will drop wherever Seals or Shards would drop in a moderate amount. It will likely take 2-3 runs of a quest to get enough of the material for 1 item. These ingredients are Pack Specific - for example, the Pack Ingredient for the Chronoscope would be a Broken Sliver of Time, etc. You'll likely collect quite a bit of these, as they're a guaranteed drop and they're also obtained elsewhere, as specified below.

**: Star Fragments will be an uncommon drop from Legendary Saltmarsh to start, and will become more available later on (just like how Empty Soul Vessels will be joining the list of Threads of Fate purchasable items as of Update 50). Our goal is that it will not be hard to find enough of these to upgrade your items.

What about our existing materials?

You will be able to crunch unused seals, scrolls, and shards down into some amount of Pack Ingredients of the appropriate type.

Why not just let the Epic Items drop as-is?

Since the s/s/s is a crafting system, we don't want to invalidate previous progress. If someone has spent 10 years grinding the ESoS, we don't want to tell that person to keep farming for it, we want to actually let them get that item as soon as the update drops. They've already done the time, we need to let them turn those spare materials (which in this instance represent time they're already spent grinding) into a tangible reward.

What are you going to do about the ESoS?

Nothing, I actually don't think that item needs changing. If people can finally get and use it, that's great, I'm genuinely happy to make something that cool more accessible.

Are you worried that by making those items, which have for so long been so rare, so much easier to obtain, that you'll be invalidating the years of grinding already spent?

That's something only the players can really answer for me.

What are you going to do with the legendary SoS?

We are not going to be creating a functional Legendary version of the Sword of Shadows. If we were to create a version that kept the large expanded critical profile that it is known for it would be incredibly hard to create other comparable legendary weapons that didn't also feature that same expanded critical profile. If we were to make a functional greatsword that used the Sword of Shadows name but didn't have that expanded critical profile it would feel like a pale imitation of the lower level variants. With that being said, the plan currently is to create a cosmetic version of the Sword of Shadows featuring brand new art inspired by the current model that can be earned and shown off. We know this solution will not fit all desires but believe it necessary to avoid painting our item design into a corner.

If we have old Epic items, will we need to reobtain them?

There is already a stone-of-change recipe that will let you turn any epic s/s/s item into a new version, so no, just throw it in the stone of change, it'll fix itself. Be aware, this will effectively delete your item and give you a new one, so take care if you have Augments or Sentient Filigree that you'd want to keep.

What about Mythic Bonuses?

Since we aren't "dropping" these items, we can't rely on our existing mythic tables, so we're probably going to need to get fancy. Current plan:

Players will be able to turn a large chunk of Threads of Fate into an item that, when combined with an Epic or Legendary version of an item, upgrade it to Mythic and then Mythic +3 (or +4). Sorta like the Schism Shard recipes but more generic (so we don't need 900 different crafting recipes). Note: This is not present in this preview.

How does Saltmarsh fit into this?

Saltmarsh will contain new, level 3 heroic items, that you will then be able to upgrade into level 20 and then level 30 versions through Epic and Legendary Crafting. Saltmarsh's Legendary content will still contain a few standalone level 29 items, as well as new Augments, but a portion of Saltmarsh will require engagement with the revamped s/s/s system. Feel free to take a look at the items in this preview in the Saltmarsh Itemization post!

Note: There is also something special with certain Saltmarsh items in this system that will get to do something a little differently, but that part wasn't quite ready for this preview.

Can we walk through an upgrade process just to be sure?

Sure! Here's how someone would obtain a copy of the Legendary Kundarak Delving Boots. First, they would do the raid The Vault of Night and its subsequent raid, The Plane of Night. In the end chest on any difficulty (heroic and epic), there is a chance to obtain a copy of the heroic level Kundarak Delving Boots. From there, they would take the Kundarak Delving Boots, 50 Vault Keys (found within any Vault of Night chest that could have dropped a Seal or Shard), and 5 Greater Tokens of the Twelve, and combine them in the Alter of Epic Rituals found within The Twelve to obtain the Epic Kundarak Delving Boots. With those, they would take their new Epic Kundarak Delving Boots, 100 Vault Keys, 250 Threads of Fate, and 5 Star Fragments, and combine them in the Alter of Legendary Rituals to obtain the Legendary Kundarak Delving Boots. If you had a copy of the current Kundarak Delving Boots or Epic Kundarak Delving Boots, you can skip right ahead to whichever part of this process, as the old items from before the revamp will work with this new system.

EDIT
Changed the format into something more readable for you lazy ass fuckos.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2021 at 4:02pm by Artorias »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: S/S/S revamp
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Someone screen shot the thing about not changing the ESoS. I want to throw it in their faces in 6 months when they invariably prove they were lying to us.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 11:19am
Print Post  
The S/S/S changes don't suck.

The ED and the gear nerfing changes suck, but the S/S/S changes sound like exactly what we've been asking for since Epic levels were introduced.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 11:23am
Print Post  
And I had just trashed a bunch of s/s/s items a week ago.  Cry

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Latetotheparty
Dragon Raider

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
premature dejunkification

IP Logged

ExploitEarly
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Glad I've kept every single extra s/s/s since day one.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jun 24th, 2021 at 11:19am:
The S/S/S changes don't suck.

The ED and the gear nerfing changes suck, but the S/S/S changes sound like exactly what we've been asking for since Epic levels were introduced.

I actually really liked the concept of the S/S/S system(felt like a much better role-play experience). The problem was the obscenely fucked-up drop rates that left people searching for an ESoS for 10 fucking years.

The new system is mechanically better, insofar as it protects us from RNG, but I'd kind of prefer they... ya know.... FIX THE MOTHERFUCKING RNG.

I'm not bitter.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
There is and always will be a degree of fuckery with RNG.

Now, I don't know how SSG will fuck this up but they actually took a step in the right direction with this revamp. We all remember how godly it was to run a chain 3 times and get a list of named items, right?

Nobody wants to run a quest 50 fucking times to get something, especially when that something can make/destroy a build.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Jun 24th, 2021 at 2:41pm:
There is and always will be a degree of fuckery with RNG.

Now, I don't know how SSG will fuck this up but they actually took a step in the right direction with this revamp. We all remember how godly it was to run a chain 3 times and get a list of named items, right?

Nobody wants to run a quest 50 fucking times to get something, especially when that something can make/destroy a build.

No you're still going to have to run the quest 50 times to get the item. Its just now you won't have to run it 5 million more times to get the 1 thing you need to upgrade the item.

Its annoying as shit except I actually have a lot of the old epics(collected them for fun) so I I will only have to grind for tokens.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Shit, they are going to fuck up a system that worked somewhat well.

Why couldn't they leave it alone ? It's working fine, the loot is outdated, but it doesn't matter the system was sound and strangely not bugged to hell  ( even if required luck and some grinding )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 24th, 2021 at 3:35pm:

Why couldn't they leave it alone ? It's working fine, the loot is outdated, but it doesn't matter the system was sound and strangely not bugged to hell  ( even if required luck and some grinding )

The current system doesn't work. But the easier fix would be to correct the ludicrously low drop rates of specific shards.

IP Logged

ExploitEarly
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 24th, 2021 at 3:42pm:
The current system doesn't work. But the easier fix would be to correct the ludicrously low drop rates of specific shards.

They most likely don't know what number controls the drop rate.

We are talking about the company that brought us Ghostbane.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
ExploitEarly wrote on Jun 24th, 2021 at 4:35pm:
They most likely don't know what number controls the drop rate.

We are talking about the company that brought us Ghostbane.

I wouldn't put that past them. Loot drop rates are so obviously broken and have been for a while but they are very firmly in denial.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 4:17am
Print Post  
Sooo... Epic Rings of Spell Storing for everyone? I am fine with that. I have one on every alt back from the days of "fun with bags" and +1000 SP per shrine makes a difference.

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 24th, 2021 at 3:35pm:

Nope. This is one thing they have got it right. The loot is being updated to level 30 with upgraded set bonuses and you can get them in few runs instead of praying for scroll dropping from air.

But yes, I am sure they will fuck up somewhere, so its only a matter of time  Cheesy

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 7:50am:
Nope. This is one thing they have got it right. The loot is being updated to level 30 with upgraded set bonuses and you can get them in few runs instead of praying for scroll dropping from air.

But yes, I am sure they will fuck up somewhere, so its only a matter of time  Cheesy

The old S/S/S system was superior in terms of it's value as a role-play mechanic. The issue was the obscenely terrible drop rates which SSG apparently does not fucking understand. Gathering hundreds of generic "ingredients" is better mechanically, but shitty in terms of role-playing.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #16 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 1:30pm:
The old S/S/S system was superior in terms of it's value as a role-play mechanic. The issue was the obscenely terrible drop rates which SSG apparently does not fucking understand. Gathering hundreds of generic "ingredients" is better mechanically, but shitty in terms of role-playing.

THIS

Remember I'm an old ( started in 1982 ) PnP hand.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2021 at 5:22pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #17 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Well I guess those huge bags of seals, scrolls and shards will come in handy if I ever start playing again. Which reminds me, I'm gonna have to transfer my dork off HC in the next couple of days, anyone know if the Daily Dice xp stones transfer or will I have to use em first?

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #18 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 1:30pm:

Superior in terms of role play mechanic? Dude, are you fucking dumb or are you really fucking dumb? You will gather 1 fewer kind of ingredients AND in the new system, you will progress with every quest and with universal kind of ingredients for the pack you choose. Doesn't matter if it's 10 runs per epic item or 20, you WILL get there

Heroic Item + 50 Pack Ingredients* ( + 5 Greater Tokens of the Twelve if the item is from a Raid. I count 3 items IF you're trying to upgrade an item from a raid, 2 otherwise

With old system is

Heroic Item + Seal + Scroll + Shard. 4 items here but let's say 3 since scroll are almost never an issue (not for me at least). The drop rate on some of these things is so abysmal that you can expect over 3000 runs with the added insult that you have to farm raids for some shards/seals. No matter how many raid timer bypass you duped, you will run out

This role playing mechanic is one of the most retarded things you ever wrote man. The morons at SSG manage to finally take a step in the right direction even letting us use ancient items such as greater token of the twelve and some of you guys still complain.

Role playing mechanic....how to say something stupid trying to look as if you had a smart thing on your mind. Unbelievable
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2021 at 6:04pm by Artorias »  

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 6:01pm:
Superior in terms of role play mechanic? Dude, are you fucking dumb or are you really fucking dumb? You will gather 1 fewer kind of ingredients AND in the new system, you will progress with every quest and with universal kind of ingredients for the pack you choose. Doesn't matter if it's 10 runs per epic item or 20, you WILL get there

Heroic Item + 50 Pack Ingredients* ( + 5 Greater Tokens of the Twelve if the item is from a Raid. I count 3 items IF you're trying to upgrade an item from a raid, 2 otherwise

With old system is

Heroic Item + Seal + Scroll + Shard. 4 items here but let's say 3 since scroll are almost never an issue (not for me at least). The drop rate on some of these things is so abysmal that you can expect over 3000 runs with the added insult that you have to farm raids for some shards/seals. No matter how many raid timer bypass you duped, you will run out

This role playing mechanic is one of the most retarded things you ever wrote man. The morons at SSG manage to finally take a step in the right direction even letting us use ancient items such as greater token of the twelve and some of you guys still complain.

Role playing mechanic....how to say something stupid trying to look as if you had a smart thing on your mind. Unbelievable

He's right, though. The fantasy of finding very specific materials to empower your trusty whatever has a much greater thematic/narrative/what the fuck have you weight than "apply fifty units of desert MacGuffin Juice to your latest acquisition".

That said, this roleplay weight is the only advantage the old system had.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Bobbicus wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 7:02pm:
He's right, though. The fantasy of finding very specific materials to empower your trusty whatever has a much greater thematic/narrative/what the fuck have you weight than "apply fifty units of desert MacGuffin Juice to your latest acquisition".

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Bobbicus wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 7:02pm:
That said, this roleplay weight is the only advantage the old system had.

A'YUP.

Thematically I would MUCH rather they fix the drop rates so I can get a shard/seal/scroll for any specific item in 10-20 runs.

Since apparently SSG is a bunch of fuckin retards who can't fix the drop rates, I guess this is what we got.

And @Artorias fuck you.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 4:17am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 8:29pm:
And @Artorias fuck you.

No you  Grin (you took it like a champ, I'm almost proud of you)

IP Logged

Notanarc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Dragonborn wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 5:32pm:
Well I guess those huge bags of seals, scrolls and shards will come in handy if I ever start playing again. Which reminds me, I'm gonna have to transfer my dork off HC in the next couple of days, anyone know if the Daily Dice xp stones transfer or will I have to use em first?

Yes, daily dice are BTA.  Load up your toon with them and they transfer to your home server just fine.  I have 3 alts with inventory filled with xp stones from hardcore.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Last year I forgot the after party deadline and saw some sweet 100 gold rolls go up in smoke. :/

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #24 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 9:25am
Print Post  
I burned the remaining 680 astral shards I had left on the HC account last night and got skunked by the lame new DD gold tables, I rolled four 96's and only got mysterious remnant boost pots, fucking useless.

Yet today, in spite of all the lag, the shitty DD rewards, the having to pay for a month of VIP to move everything around... I am content.

Because now I'm sure it was the right decision to take a break, fucked if I know when I will start playing again but I'm going to do transfers tonight and then forget about DDO until at least next year, if not the next.

See, it's boiling frog all over again, that is what SSG does.

I shot a couple of times, and hopped on my focused archer, and then mechanic last night while I was moving stuff around on HC and my main server and they are shit, absolute shit.  If you are constantly playing and worrying about the next thing they are going to mess with you have to quickly adapt and accept the new baseline and try to work from there.

Your memory and play muscles can't help but forget what was the standard a couple of weeks ago because you are playing in the new game and it is immersive shit, but immersive. So they just keep fucking stuff up and messing with shit they don't understand or care about because Severlin figured out that golden truth:

If he can stand the complaints and revenue loss for just a few weeks it will dissipate as customers get used to the new baseline, and start grinding. No matter how bad it is, no matter how naked the revenue rape the players get used to it and stop caring about the last change and start complaining about some shit you are hinting at. All the while, never stopping payments, or playing the new lame shit he is boiling them in because they have gotten used to the shittyness.   

I.E. the Boiled frog.

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2021 at 9:28am by Dragonborn »  

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint