Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Being capped is boring as fuck (Read 8264 times)
Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Being capped is boring as fuck
Jul 11th, 2021 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Wtf!?!!

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Being capped is boring as fuck
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2021 at 3:01am
Print Post  
.... hence the TR hamster wheel...

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2021 at 9:01am
Print Post  
My advice, don’t finish the tr hamster wheel..rushing to a stop light.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2021 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
nah get every quest done on r10 and push raid skulls.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post. It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2021 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Go complain on the motherboards until a new, even bigger grind-wheel is added.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 11th, 2021 at 1:45pm:
Go complain on the motherboards until a new, even bigger grind-wheel is added.

Preferably with a new crafting system and a whole new set of crafting mats!

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
I know there is a saying about the Road vs the destination, but hell if my memory will help me.  (If it's not an 80s hair band lyric I wont recall it.)
But I have more fun doing a TR train, than sitting on 30.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
S_O_B wrote on Jul 13th, 2021 at 7:53pm:
I know there is a saying about the Road vs the destination, but hell if my memory will help me.  (If it's not an 80s hair band lyric I wont recall it.)
But I have more fun doing a TR train, than sitting on 30.

"Its about the journey, not the destination" sadly not part of the ethos for most MMO design. In WoW, for example, lvls 1-59 existed for the soul purpose of reaching level 60, so you could then grind raids(adjust for whatever the fuck the current cap is). This is representative of most MMOs, where the game "starts" at cap and leveling up is generally considered some kind of extended tutorial.

What separates DDO from the rest of the pack is the TR system. When I started playing, your two main endgame activities were grinding the shroud and running the dreaming dark. You could also run the existing "end-game"(epic) content for specially upgraded items and weapons, but this was largely considered a secondary activity to preparing for and executing TRs.

This is what attracted me to the game. I really liked the "newgame+" mechanic of "spend time at cap getting OP items for your next life, then run it and have those at level" it made the "grind" extremely enjoyable.

Then game MOTU and DDO took a giant festering shit all over that mechanic. When was the last time a lvl 18 quest dropped a lvl 5 item that was better than anything you could ever get from a lvl 5 quest?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

crsm3423
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 10:43am
Print Post  
IMO, Reaper mode should have been the end game, rather than another difficulty to use for leveling up. R1 giving more leveling XP than Elite was a mistake from my point of view.  They didn't need to implement reaper mode level 2 harbor quests, just turn it on for the level 30+ legendary quests, get rid of the double reaper XP bonus, and require level 30 to enter the quest. Also, get rid of first time bonuses for reaper XP and remove XP bonuses from impacting reaper XP. People shouldn't be incented to TR to maximize reaper progression, nor should they be able to purchase it.  Just have it be an optional grind at cap that has nothing really to do with past lives or leveling.

You know, like a challenge mode...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 11:22am
Print Post  
crsm3423 wrote on Jul 14th, 2021 at 10:43am:
You know, like a challenge mode...

What would be your proposed reward for completing reaper mode, if not increased XP?

(genuinely curious, I like to hear other people's opinions on game design)

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 11:33am
Print Post  
I've maintained for awhile that MOTU was one of the worst things that Turbine ever did for DDO because it effectively cleft the community in two.

On one hand, you have people like me and OP who prefer the TR hamsterwheel. Sure it's grindy in its own way and you're ultimately playing the same quests over and over... but it's hundreds of quests, you get to try out new builds, and it makes for a solid "newgame+" system as noamineo puts it. That's primarily what DDO was about and that's why I still sometimes play.

Yet on the other hand, you have people who are of the more "traditional mmo" persuasion. Those people who enjoy the endgame and see everything else as a means to that end. That's all well and good too. It's not how I like to play, but I can respect it, and it's no less valid than my playstyle.

The problem with MOTU is that it created this division in the first place. Creating epic destinies, expanding the level cap, and effectively creating two different games was one of the most harmful things that Turbine ever did to the playerbase. They crossed a rubicon from which they can never return. DDO will forever be two or three different games now - heroic game (1-20), epic game (20-30), and legendary game (cap) - and there's no way they can ever fix this. Instead, their approach seems to be "let's subdivide things even further" by increasing level cap again and again, adding in legendary feats, adding in reaper, etc.

Not saying that pre-MOTU things were perfect, but they could've worked within the existing framework instead of overturning things completely and utterly devastating the playerbase's longterm prospects.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The problem with MOTU

Much as I love to heap hatred on MOTU(15 god damn quests to flag for a raid? Seriously?) its easy to forget that MOTU only raised the level cap to 25. In that timeframe where cap was 25 and before ETRs were introduced, the game didn't have anywhere near as much division between players. I could do the epic quests and epic raids just fine at ~23 or so. I never once hit 25 while that was the cap. Immediately post MOTU wasn't actually all that different from pre.

Where they took a turn down shit lane and then shit everything up was to keep going, raise the cap to 28 and add ETR. That is the point the game split in half.

Quote:
adding in reaper, etc.

And then split in half again when they added reaper. Its basically 4 fucking games right now.

Quote:
Not saying that pre-MOTU things were perfect, but they could've worked within the existing framework instead of overturning things completely and utterly devastating the playerbase's longterm prospects.

Its a concept called "lateral expansion" and SSG seems to be ENTIRELY unfamiliar with the concept. Other games offer you things to do besides grind. Often times those things are really grinds on their own, but hey, its something to do besides advance your character.

DDO has none of that. Its either the raid grind or the tr grind or the reaper grind or any combination therein, and they are all exactly the same.

Which is funny, because as a tabletop game DnD has more options for lateral expansion than it does the main game.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 14th, 2021 at 3:10pm:
And then split in half again when they added reaper. Its basically 4 fucking games right now.

Gotta be able to sell more stuff...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Shinyshoes wrote on Jul 14th, 2021 at 3:51pm:
Gotta be able to sell more stuff...

wtf do they sell that solves the problem of "Not enough active players in any 1 of the 4 unrelated games"?

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2021 at 10:53am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 14th, 2021 at 4:15pm:
wtf do they sell that solves the problem of "Not enough active players in any 1 of the 4 unrelated games"?

Gold seal hirelings

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #15 - Jul 15th, 2021 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
“Boring as fuck.”

See, what SSG should be aiming for is “boring by a well-hung fuck” but they’re too retarded and otherwise ill-equipped to get it.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Jul 15th, 2021 at 1:48pm:
“Boring as fuck.”

See, what SSG should be aiming for is “boring by a well-hung fuck” but they’re too retarded and otherwise ill-equipped to get it.

Well-hung can still be boring. As they say its not the size of the hump, its the motion of the camel.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #17 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 11:34am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 14th, 2021 at 3:10pm:
Much as I love to heap hatred on MOTU(15 god damn quests to flag for a raid? Seriously?) its easy to forget that MOTU only raised the level cap to 25. In that timeframe where cap was 25 and before ETRs were introduced, the game didn't have anywhere near as much division between players. I could do the epic quests and epic raids just fine at ~23 or so. I never once hit 25 while that was the cap. Immediately post MOTU wasn't actually all that different from pre.

Where they took a turn down shit lane and then shit everything up was to keep going, raise the cap to 28 and add ETR. That is the point the game split in half.

Its a concept called "lateral expansion" and SSG seems to be ENTIRELY unfamiliar with the concept. Other games offer you things to do besides grind. Often times those things are really grinds on their own, but hey, its something to do besides advance your character.

DDO has none of that. Its either the raid grind or the tr grind or the reaper grind or any combination therein, and they are all exactly the same.

Which is funny, because as a tabletop game DnD has more options for lateral expansion than it does the main game.

Does no one else do alts anymore? I have characters that I TR and characters that I keep at cap for raiding/reaper. Sometimes they switch places. Decide which to log in after looking at the LFM.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Probably depends on how much time you have.

Personally I mainly play on one character who endlessly TRs until I get bored with the game/fed up with SSG, at which point I take another long break

IP Logged

Amorosy
Korthos Resident

Reply #19 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 11:50am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 14th, 2021 at 11:22am:
What would be your proposed reward for completing reaper mode, if not increased XP?

(genuinely curious, I like to hear other people's opinions on game design)

Reaper XP and increased drop chances. Like it already is.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #20 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 16th, 2021 at 11:34am:
Does no one else do alts anymore? I have characters that I TR and characters that I keep at cap for raiding/reaper. Sometimes they switch places. Decide which to log in after looking at the LFM.

I have close to 20 capped alts.

I have one or two more alts to go before they've all been geared with Sharn/Feywild stuff.

I've been very busy or the last several months!

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #21 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Jul 15th, 2021 at 1:48pm:
“Boring as fuck.”

You're that special Kiltilan-type retarded, huh.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #22 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Jul 16th, 2021 at 2:37pm:
You're that special Kiltilan-type retarded, huh.

I sense major penis envy.

Admit it you tired hack…you’re hung like a toddler in a cold shower.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #23 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Jul 16th, 2021 at 3:41pm:
I sense major penis envy.

Admit it you tired hack…you’re hung like a toddler in a cold shower.

I gag your mom when I ass fuck her, dipshit.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #24 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
The fact that you’re entirely too fucking stupid to come up with new material makes me laugh.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint