Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Any of the expansions worth a dime? (Read 2757 times)
blegh
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Any of the expansions worth a dime?
Aug 26th, 2021 at 10:10am
Print Post  
I've been away from DDO for a few years, since 2013.

Last I remember is Epic Gianthold (pretty sweet) and then some (free) crappy quests in Eveningstar in preparation of the second expansion pack.

Looks like there've been several expensions since:

Shadowfell thingy
Sharn
Ravenloft
Feywild or something
Saltmarsh

How would you peeps rate those expansions? Any of them worth it?

For reference, i'd rate:
MOTU a 18/20
Gianthold 18/20
Sands 17/20
Savaranth 14/20
Missing-pack 16/20
Second Madness-pack 9/20
Druid's Deep 11/20
High Road 14/20
Restless Isles 02/20
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2021 at 10:30am by blegh »  

IP Logged

knockcocker
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Any of the expansions worth a dime?
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Ravenloft is very good IMO
Sharn is decent and is probably needed if you want the best set bonuses on gear.  They
recently squished end game stats (a cunt's trick which I'm still salty about) so it's less
significant than it used to be.
Feywild is ok - again, decent set bonuses.  Some quests are fun some are shite.

I haven't touched Saltmarsh, they can fuck right off.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I see adventures packs in there though.

MotU: 15/20. Only because of outdated loot and a TERRIBLE raid.

Gianthold: 5/20. Because I fucking hate gianthold and I absolutely despise madstone crater, F-U-C-K that quest.
Sands: 10/20 meh, good stuff and wiz king is awesome xp with a party to cover each tower at once.

Shavarath (archons): 15/20. I love Shavarath and the chain even if unbalanced in some points. The raids is boring as a bag of bricks though.

Missing: 10/20. Back in the day this chain was tits. Didn't aged well but I still like it

Second madness (the one in jorasco?): 15/20. Good assortments of items and the quests are nice, the end fight with the beholder is quite nice on R10  Grin

Druid Deep: 5/20. Most of the quests are nice but they have the worst exp I have ever seen, only run for saga and forget it. Items sucks dicks too

High Road: 8/20. Low evaulation because I hate it, don't know why but I hate this chain. Items sucks dicks and take it up the ass too (never seen anyone using items from this chain...maybe there's a reason). I know of some people liking the quests but I could never stomach them and still can't figure out why

Restless Isles: --/20 Does anyone still run this except to get enough favor in the raid to unlock falconer? (So annoying it's better to buy the tree from store but whatever, I'm not judging anyone on how to invest money or time). This chain needs a MASSIVE overhaul.

As for the expansions

Shadowfell: NO
Sharn: Yes. Set items are good
Ravenloft: Fuck yes
Feywild: Meh. Set items are good but are really a fucked up versions of sharn and I feel (my opinion though) some classes have received too much attention compared to others
Saltmarsh: Only the basic version for 20 bucks (you would spend pretty much the same money for the same number of quests anyway)

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:15am:
I see adventures packs in there though.

MotU: 15/20. Only because of outdated loot and a TERRIBLE raid.

Gianthold: 5/20. Because I fucking hate gianthold and I absolutely despise madstone crater, F-U-C-K that quest.
Sands: 10/20 meh, good stuff and wiz king is awesome xp with a party to cover each tower at once.

Shavarath (archons): 15/20. I love Shavarath and the chain even if unbalanced in some points. The raids is boring as a bag of bricks though.

Missing: 10/20. Back in the day this chain was tits. Didn't aged well but I still like it

Second madness (the one in jorasco?): 15/20. Good assortments of items and the quests are nice, the end fight with the beholder is quite nice on R10  Grin

Druid Deep: 5/20. Most of the quests are nice but they have the worst exp I have ever seen, only run for saga and forget it. Items sucks dicks too

High Road: 8/20. Low evaulation because I hate it, don't know why but I hate this chain. Items sucks dicks and take it up the ass too (never seen anyone using items from this chain...maybe there's a reason). I know of some people liking the quests but I could never stomach them and still can't figure out why

Restless Isles: --/20 Does anyone still run this except to get enough favor in the raid to unlock falconer? (So annoying it's better to buy the tree from store but whatever, I'm not judging anyone on how to invest money or time). This chain needs a MASSIVE overhaul.

As for the expansions

Shadowfell: NO
Sharn: Yes. Set items are good
Ravenloft: Fuck yes
Feywild: Meh. Set items are good but are really a fucked up versions of sharn and I feel (my opinion though) some classes have received too much attention compared to others
Saltmarsh: Only the basic version for 20 bucks (you would spend pretty much the same money for the same number of quests anyway)

Do you find a lot of people listen to your opinions being a retard?

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Eveningstar - must have, self explanatory

Shadowfall - Great experience, especially on heroics. Through a Mirror Darkly and What Goes Up are also well-made quests with interesting mechanics and a challenging endfight, respectively. I'm also a huge fan of the Storm Horns - reminds me of hiking trips to Tahoe or Yellowstone or elsewhere.

Ravenloft - Great experience and equipment. Mostly good quests like Invitation to Dinner that are faithful to the original D&D module. One of the few good things that SSG has created in the past decade.

Sharn - Everyone seems to love this pack but I hate it. Quests are uninspired, there's a huge difficulty spike when compared to other heroic level 15-16 quests. Exp isn't great. Loot isn't great. Maybe it's more worthwhile on epic but I couldn't say because I find the epic/legendary game extremely boring. Either way, the quests are boring and feel like House C level 19s but without the creativity.

Feywild and Saltmarsh - Haven't touched them because for the past 6 years, I've refused spending a dime on DDO.

Everything else you listed is not an expansion.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:19am by »  

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:19am:
Do you find a lot of people listen to your opinions being a retard?

Suck it bitch, is your ass still hurting?

Make the argument  as per topic or shut the fuck up GunDUMB or, better yet

Have you tried a lower difficulty settings? Maybe changing server to find someone to carry your sorry (and hurting) ass will work this time 

BTW GunDUMB. It's easier to talk the talk, be REAL man and explain your point of view. We all know you can only take it up the ass and say nothing else worth of notice though. Swing little monkey, SWING  Grin
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:27am by Artorias »  

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:25am:
Suck it bitch, is your ass still hurting?

Make the argument  as per topic or shut the fuck up GunDUMB or, better yet

Have you tried a lower difficulty settings? Maybe changing server to find someone to carry your sorry (and hurting) ass will work this time 

BTW GunDUMB. It's easier to talk the talk, be REAL man and explain your point of view. We all know you can only take it up the ass and say nothing else worth of notice though. Swing little monkey, SWING  Grin

Trained like a hot wet bitch. Swing you retarded monkey.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:25am:
Maybe changing server to find someone to carry your sorry (and hurting) ass will work this time 

Why don't you come to Khyber and show me how it's done. I'll pay to move your shitty toons, loser. Are you a retarded man or a retarded bitch?

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:30am:
Trained like a hot wet bitch. Swing you retarded monkey.

Moron can't even come up with his own material. I called you names and challenged you openly to make an argument and prove you know something about the game and that weak sauce is your answer?

Wow, not even a half decent attempt to put up something resembling a defense. You parents must be really proud of raising a pussy your size.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Guess I may as well offer my opinions on the packs too, while we're at it:

Artorias wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:15am:
MotU: 15/20. Only because of outdated loot and a TERRIBLE raid. Nothing to say here, but this pack is borderline essential for epic leveling so it might deserve a 16/ or 17/20.

Gianthold: 5/20. Because I fucking hate gianthold and I absolutely despise madstone crater, F-U-C-K that quest. For the sake of impartiality, you should at least mention how good the exp is, both on heroic/epic. I'm pretty sure that's like the only reason anyone runs gianthold anyway. Also Madstone is not that bad if you divide your party into 3 groups. Can easily clear it in like 15-20 minutes that way. Gianthold should get a 17 or 18/20; it's an essential pack for every player, even if I don't like it.

Sands: 10/20 meh, good stuff and wiz king is awesome xp with a party to cover each tower at once. Could probably knock this up a few points because Sands covers a level range in heroics that isn't too densely populated. Pretty much everyone on the heroic TR train runs Sands. Sands gets a 15/20 from me; lackluster quest design but it's such a great pack to have for leveling.

Shavarath (archons): 15/20. I love Shavarath and the chain even if unbalanced in some points. The raids is boring as a bag of bricks though. I love the quests too and think they're very creative. However I think you're overrating Shavarath. It's not essential for either heroic or epic leveling - the quests are at the awkward level 19. The loot hasn't aged well. This is a pack you buy because you LIKE it, and we should note this. 10/20 for me; very fun pack but it shouldn't be high priority for a new player.

Missing: 10/20. Back in the day this chain was tits. Didn't aged well but I still like it Agreed. They're creative quests and fun to run through. But they're heroic only, the loot hasn't aged well, and the exp isn't essential.

Second madness (the one in jorasco?): 15/20. Good assortments of items and the quests are nice, the end fight with the beholder is quite nice on R10  Grin No idea which one this is. Reign of Madness has no quests in House J. Heart of Madness has no quests in House J.

Druid Deep: 5/20. Most of the quests are nice but they have the worst exp I have ever seen, only run for saga and forget it. Items sucks dicks too I'm not the biggest fan of the quests either, but this pack is cheap and worth it for the saga. It probably deserves somewhere around a 9 or 10/20.

High Road: 8/20. Low evaulation because I hate it, don't know why but I hate this chain. Items sucks dicks and take it up the ass too (never seen anyone using items from this chain...maybe there's a reason). I know of some people liking the quests but I could never stomach them and still can't figure out why Saga. High Road and Druid deep are about as useful as each other.

Restless Isles: --/20 Does anyone still run this except to get enough favor in the raid to unlock falconer? (So annoying it's better to buy the tree from store but whatever, I'm not judging anyone on how to invest money or time). This chain needs a MASSIVE overhaul. If we look at it objectively, Restless Isles is one of the most interesting and original wilderness areas. The quests are fairly vanilla, although they do offer okay experience. Teleport Clicky and Raise Dead clicky are nice, but not necessary. Also, Restless Isles is one of the cheaper packs. It's certainly not essential, but I've been of the opinion that Restless Isles is an underrated pack. It's not the 1/20 most people think it is. 7/20 for me. They seriously need to buff the exp though, and maybe look at the loot. Loot is okay, but it could be a LOT better.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:34am:
Moron can't even come up with his own material. I called you names and challenged you openly to make an argument and prove you know something about the game and that weak sauce is your answer?

Wow, not even a half decent attempt to put up something resembling a defense. You parents must be really proud of raising a pussy your size.

You show up as a pussy mouthing off with that dicksucker, but backing out of a chance to actually show me something is pretty weak. Your retarded face is in the dictionary under cuck simp bitch.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:48am
Print Post  
@Igouger

All right

ES, OK. It's pretty much mandatory so it MAY deserve a 17/20

Gianthold I still don't care how good the exp is. I fucking hate that place with passion. Sorry but I really can't stand it.

Sands. Not sure about that, I go several lives running only wizking and not needing anything else but mkay. I can see the appeal for others, that's why i gave it half score

Shavarath. I mean the archon chain, the level 13 one to be specific. The level 19 is quite nice too but the "younger" version is better

Second madness I asked if it was the chain in jorasco, the one where you deal with the crazy curse that leads to the events in sharn lore wise. Techincally it is tied to the plane of madness so that's why I asked. If we are referring to quests such as sane asylum and stuff, I give them a solid 13/20. Not much to have in terms of items anymore but the quests were fun.

Druid has that low score only because of the worst exp I have ever noticed in a quest, never seen anything worse in any chain. I even mentioned I like some of the quests and I can't understand why the fuckers at SSG aren't doint anything about it. Run it again, the exp is really that bad

High Road is saga fodder for me, nothing else

Restless Isles still gets no evaluation from me. The quests were decent but I see no point in running them since you have barovia at that level that also counts for saga.

The only addition I make is about shadowfell. The last quest on the glacier is one of my personal favourites once you get to that epic OST when on top, really inspiring. Actually storm horns deserve an exception from the rest of that shitty expansion.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:55am by Artorias »  

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:41am:
You show up as a pussy mouthing off with that dicksucker, but backing out of a chance to actually show me something is pretty weak. Your retarded face is in the dictionary under cuck simp bitch.

Meh, weak stuff. Suits you at least. Keep posting you once has been that never was wannabe

You have been called out to make your argument and showed nothing. I'm not replying until you get some actual insight on the game, you don't deserve to waste my time like that. I'll call for you when I feel like it. Begone bitch

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:51am:
Meh, weak stuff. Suits you at least. Keep posting you once has been that never was wannabe

You have been called out to make your argument and showed nothing. I'm not replying until you get some actual insight on the game, you don't deserve to waste my time like that. I'll call for you when I feel like it. Begone bitch

Ok, pussy. I'm here for your bitch ass whenever you grow a pair. Go hide now.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
blegh wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 10:10am:
I've been away from DDO for a few years, since 2013.

Last I remember is Epic Gianthold (pretty sweet) and then some (free) crappy quests in Eveningstar in preparation of the second expansion pack.

Looks like there've been several expensions since:

Shadowfell thingy
Sharn
Ravenloft
Feywild or something
Saltmarsh

How would you peeps rate those expansions? Any of them worth it?

For reference, i'd rate:
MOTU a 18/20
Gianthold 18/20
Sands 17/20
Savaranth 14/20
Missing-pack 16/20
Second Madness-pack 9/20
Druid's Deep 11/20
High Road 14/20
Restless Isles 02/20

Most of these are included with the free quests code or were basically free(99 store points). Only ones you should actually need to buy(unless you're a brand new player, in which case SSG would like to say "fuck you") are the new expacks.

Ravenloft is visually amazing but some of the quests are unpleasant. I personally hate any visit to castle ravenloft because of how fucking awful the map is. But that wilderness is beautiful and most of the quests are quite fun.

Sharn is generally good. Again it has one or two "fuck this fucking shit" quests. The gear is really good and its worth running the whole chain at least once to experience the quests. The first time I played Just Business I was impressed with how original it was. The second times on I was over it. Best Laid Plans can eat every single dick.

Feywild is meh. Saltmarsh is even less impressive.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:48am:
@Igouger

All right

ES, OK. It's pretty much mandatory so it MAY deserve a 17/20

Gianthold I still don't care how good the exp is. I fucking hate that place with passion. Sorry but I really can't stand it.

Sands. Not sure about that, I go several lives running only wizking and not needing anything else but mkay. I can see the appeal for others, that's why i gave it half score

Shavarath. I mean the archon chain, the level 13 one to be specific. The level 19 is quite nice too but the "younger" version is better

Second madness I asked if it was the chain in jorasco, the one where you deal with the crazy curse that leads to the events in sharn lore wise. Techincally it is tied to the plane of madness so that's why I asked. If we are referring to quests such as sane asylum and stuff, I give them a solid 13/20. Not much to have in terms of items anymore but the quests were fun.

Druid has that low score only because of the worst exp I have ever noticed in a quest, never seen anything worse in any chain. I even mentioned I like some of the quests and I can't understand why the fuckers at SSG aren't doint anything about it. Run it again, the exp is really that bad

High Road is saga fodder for me, nothing else

Restless Isles still gets no evaluation from me. The quests were decent but I see no point in running them since you have barovia at that level that also counts for saga.

The only addition I make is about shadowfell. The last quest on the glacier is one of my personal favourites once you get to that epic OST when on top, really inspiring. Actually storm horns deserve an exception from the rest of that shitty expansion.

I have to agree with disliking GH despite the great xp. I hate madstone and dislike the Rakshaha quest, probably only from having to farm those back in the day.

It's worth noting that for effective epic leveling, you will need the high level wilderness areas. Barovia, Sharn, TH, Orchard, etc. they make it quite fast.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 3:41pm:
I have to agree with disliking GH despite the great xp.

I'll third(fourth?) this opinion of GH. For me its the run through the wilderness area. Its a fucking schizophrenic maze. If the quests had a teleport option they would be fun and the XP is good, but getting to them is unpleasant enough that I'd rather not bother.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #17 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 2:08am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 5:28pm:
I'll third(fourth?) this opinion of GH. For me its the run through the wilderness area. Its a fucking schizophrenic maze. If the quests had a teleport option they would be fun and the XP is good, but getting to them is unpleasant enough that I'd rather not bother.

They do have a teleport option even if it only leads you to a general location nearby the quest. My issue is with the pack itself and, even though the druid chain ranks lower because of terrible exp, I very much prefer those quests to GH.

Madstone is just the worst offender as I never find a group running GH (bad luck I know) and I'm too lazy to post an lfm for it so, I always solo that bloody awful shit and have to wait for the fucking crystals to shatter

I never want to hear "NOT MUCH LONGER" and wait for 2 more minutes of pure boredom  Tongue

IP Logged

blegh
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 4:59am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 2:15pm:
Most of these are included with the free quests code or were basically free(99 store points). Only ones you should actually need to buy(unless you're a brand new player, in which case SSG would like to say "fuck you") are the new expacks.

Free quests code?

Please keep in mind that I've not logged in or read anything about DDO in 8 years. What free code? If it's free, I'm interested.

IP Logged

blegh
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 5:02am
Print Post  
Thanks all for your opinions, summarising all above:

Shadowfell: a few very good quests, the rest looks forgettable?
Ravenloft: good, everyone likes it.
Sharn: some good quests and some real stinkers.
Feywild: nobody cares.
Saltmarsh: nobody cares.

Still got a few thousand points banked I discovered so I can grab Ravenloft this weekend. I may then buy Shadowfell

If I find I'm still in the game after a couple of weeks I'll grab Sharn.

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2021 at 5:04am by blegh »  

IP Logged

Rickyretardo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 6:11am
Print Post  
blegh wrote on Aug 27th, 2021 at 5:02am:
Thanks all for your opinions, summarising all above:

Shadowfell: a few very good quests, the rest looks forgettable?
Ravenloft: good, everyone likes it.
Sharn: some good quests and some real stinkers.
Feywild: nobody cares.
Saltmarsh: nobody cares.

Still got a few thousand points banked I discovered so I can grab Ravenloft this weekend. I may then buy Shadowfell

If I find I'm still in the game after a couple of weeks I'll grab Sharn.

Funny isn´t it..

Depending on where you at on the power scale, the order of this summation would be the inverse.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #21 - Aug 29th, 2021 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Aug 27th, 2021 at 2:08am:
They do have a teleport option even if it only leads you to a general location nearby the quest. My issue is with the pack itself and, even though the druid chain ranks lower because of terrible exp, I very much prefer those quests to GH.

You also have to go to the teleport location before you can use it. Assuming you're only doing GH once per life, that makes it useless.

blegh wrote on Aug 27th, 2021 at 4:59am:
Free quests code?

Please keep in mind that I've not logged in or read anything about DDO in 8 years. What free code? If it's free, I'm interested.

Whoops, sorry. At the beginning of the pandemic last year SSG released a code that gave players access to all content released before a certain point. it was a limited time deal, though, so if you missed it SSG would like you to kindly go fuck yourself.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint