Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Game Freeze (Read 2620 times)
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Game Freeze
Dec 20th, 2021 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, I’ve got a problem I haven’t run into before…

Ever since Stupidly Substandard Gimps dropped U52 like dogshit on a lawn, I’ve been running into a brand new issue where the entire game freezes solid for several seconds at a time…including the mouse curser.  I still have game audio though, meaning I can hear others DPSing while visuals are all locked up.

The only way it seems that I can unfuck it is to drag my mouse to the right far enough that the mouse curser shows up on my other monitor.  Honestly though, that may not be what actually fixes the issue.  I haven’t spent time testing things because it only happens when I’m surrounded by mobs in high reaper content.

I don’t know of anyone else that’s having this issue. 

Also, I don’t think it’s on my end.  Just for the record, I’m running NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super (8gb), AMD Ryzen7 2700 3.2GHz 8-core processor and 64Gb RAM.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2021 at 3:20pm by Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Game Freeze
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2021 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Dec 20th, 2021 at 3:19pm:
dropped U52 like dogshit on a lawn,

Please, that's being generous. U52 is much more akin to bull turds.

As for yur issue - what storage are you using? EG SSD, NVMe, etc? I've noticed a lot of game issues have nothing to do with your CPU or graphics hardware but everything to do with what the game files live on.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2021 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 20th, 2021 at 3:34pm:
Please, that's being generous. U52 is much more akin to bull turds.

As for yur issue - what storage are you using? EG SSD, NVMe, etc? I've noticed a lot of game issues have nothing to do with your CPU or graphics hardware but everything to do with what the game files live on.

1TB SSD.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2021 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Well I wouldn't discount serverside lag past it. This may sound silly but can you try disconnecting the second monitor? I know fullscreen games often dont play well with dual screen systems and DDO is old as fuck.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2021 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 20th, 2021 at 4:13pm:
I wouldn't discount serverside lag past it. This may sound silly but can you try disconnecting the second monitor? I know fullscreen games often dont play well with dual screen systems and DDO is old as fuck.

Steelshit keep harping the game is doing very well in Discord - making lot of money. I wonder why they don't upgrade server to AWS, upgrade UI to 4k, and re-hire QA team  Cheesy

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2021 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Dec 21st, 2021 at 2:28pm:
Steelshit keep harping the game is doing very well in Discord - making lot of money.

"A lot of money" = enough to keep the lights on and continue adding content. Not enough to develop a whole new game.

I wonder why they don't upgrade server to AWS,

AWS is fucking SHIT for hosting video games and would require a ground-up redevelopment. I very sincerely doubt New World is even hosted in AWS really. Its fantastic for high-availability purposes that can tolerate some latency. Trying to move DDO over to AWS would make it even more hot garbage than it is already.

upgrade UI to 4k,

The game itself already runs in 4K just fine(I've been playing it that way for years. Also did 5 & 6k just fine. The UI however has no scaling whatsoever. This is probably well within SSG's capacity to fix(and very easily so) if they had anyone left who knew how the UI worked.

and re-hire QA team  Cheesy

Dare to dream.

IP Logged

Magneto
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2021 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Hi
After i uninstalled ddo from my ssd card, and installed to my  hdd drive the freeze problem is solved. i have  wide screen, and play allways with 2  windows open.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2021 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
That would tend to point to a corrupted install as I experienced effectively the opposite problem - freezes on HDD but none on SSD/NVMe. Granted this was a white back, but still.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2021 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Steelshit keep harping the game is doing very well in Discord - making lot of money. I wonder why they don't upgrade server to AWS, upgrade UI to 4k, and re-hire QA team  Cheesy

Ponzi schemes make a lot of money until the day they don't.

New servers don't literally mean shit for DDO.  They built the game without the ability to scale so it doesn't matter whether you have 1 server or 1000 servers, their code don't scale (they've confirmed it themselves).  If they rewrote the core code, they could take advantage of wide scale to improve throughput, but no one there is smart enough to do that.

They don't need to hire QA team when you all play the game in it's garbage state.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2021 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Dec 23rd, 2021 at 4:00pm:
They don't need to hire QA team when you all play the game in it's garbage state.

They wouldn't even need to hire QA if they just played the game themselves.

If I ever ran an MMO, I would have one employee, fairly high-level(or at least reporting directly to the core development team), part of whom's job would be to play the game 4 hours a day. He would have to play on a regular customer-level account(no dev/GM status) and be required to meet certain goals(obtain X levels, farm specific item, etc) and report back on gameplay experience. If the game used micro transactions like DDO, he would have a set budget every month. The over-all effort here would be to have ready, direct access to someone who can tell us exactly what its like to play the game.

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #10 - Dec 25th, 2021 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Kids hush, it’s your vault reverse engineer talking

No, it’s not a bug, It’s a bad server and lag

Yes, they know it

Maybe they’ll patch together a hotfix to improve things

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 23rd, 2021 at 4:11pm:
They wouldn't even need to hire QA if they just played the game themselves.

If I ever ran an MMO, I would have one employee, fairly high-level(or at least reporting directly to the core development team), part of whom's job would be to play the game 4 hours a day. He would have to play on a regular customer-level account(no dev/GM status) and be required to meet certain goals(obtain X levels, farm specific item, etc) and report back on gameplay experience. If the game used micro transactions like DDO, he would have a set budget every month. The over-all effort here would be to have ready, direct access to someone who can tell us exactly what its like to play the game.

Terrible idea, and why you don't actually own or pitch software companies.

The only thing DDO ever needed was to track user behavior.  Tracking which they have steadfastly refused to do, or, and this is worse, are completely incapable of imagining how that can be accomplished in their little scripty minds.

If you want to know how users are actually using software, you watch/log/track them.  So many problems are discovered, avoided, solved, with this simple concept. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2021 at 6:19pm by iliveyourdream13 »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Dec 30th, 2021 at 6:18pm:
If you want to know how users are actually using software, you watch/log/track them.  So many problems are discovered, avoided, solved, with this simple concept. Roll Eyes

But this doesn't give you any clue what its like to actually play the game. Disneyland spends millions of dollars every year on tracking guest activities, but still the best way to figure out what works and what doesn't is to have one of the executives go down into the park and stand in line for Space Mountain. Tracking behavior with metrics is good, but it still only gives you statistics.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint