Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic load times (Read 2414 times)
S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

load times
Jan 7th, 2022 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
I took about 6 weeks off and since the first, the load times have been horrendous for me.  Loading into game, loading into zones.
The guys I run with don't seem to have the same problem, though they complain of lag.
I have Alt+Tabbed out to run an internet speed test, but my internet speed does not seem to be the issue.
Ideas to try?  Has anyone else had this recently? 
My other games don't suffer and I do the frequent adware, malware, virus scans. 

I just tried to run Combatting Corruption.
I ran to first dead end, no orb.  waited and orb appeared.
I busted it and game froze.
Waited.  Waited.  Before the Groots ported in, I was dead.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2022 at 2:02pm by S_O_B »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: load times
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Internet speed has nothing to do with load times.

What storage medium is the game installed on? If you're still using a spinning disk that might be the problem. SSG has utterly forgotten how to optimize games for spinning disks(despite Asheron's Call being one of the best-optimized in the world). You probably need a SATA SSD or M.2 drive. Failing that, a fast thumb drive on a USB 3.0 port will do the job.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Okay.  I saw another post referencing this, but I guess I read it when I was not playing, and figured I could forget it. 

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
S_O_B wrote on Jan 7th, 2022 at 2:49pm:
Okay.  I saw another post referencing this, but I guess I read it when I was not playing, and figured I could forget it. 

I had this porblem a few years back and put DDO on a quick thumb drive. Worked well.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
load time is 100% local and tied to your computer.

I have a friend whose wife computer was on RAMBUS in the early days of DDO and she never saw loading screens ( or any load whatever DDO related ) until she replaced the computer. ( while said friend was seeing them along with me when I was in their party )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
If you have enough system RAM you could also create a RAM drive and throw DDO in that. Its about 14 gigs though so you'd need a lot of RAM.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 6:10am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 7th, 2022 at 8:24pm:
If you have enough system RAM you could also create a RAM drive and throw DDO in that. Its about 14 gigs though so you'd need a lot of RAM.

14gb a lot?
Don't you have at least 64gb of ram?  what sort of POS pc do you have? 
I mean some graphics cards have more than 14gb ram these days

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 7th, 2022 at 7:22pm:
load time is 100% local and tied to your computer.

ahhh.  that makes sense, but i always assumed it was downloading, heh.
thanks.  I guess I have another game to move over to the SSD.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Yeah, I’ve got somebody in my static group that has only 2gb RAM and loading from a HDD.  Takes her at least 8-10 secs longer to load in than everyone else.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 8:24am:
Yeah, I’ve got somebody in my static group that has only 2gb RAM and loading from a HDD.  Takes her at least 8-10 secs longer to load in than everyone else.

Oof.

One of the useful things I've noticed is you can do things like mount a horse while still on the load screen. Your friend could also try the thumb drive trick if they have USB 3.0.

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Things that makes DDO freezes. In order of impact.

1. Packetloss rate - >5% and you're fucking rubber-banding every corner, loading screen freeze every 2nd zoning.
2. Ping time -> 300ms and you can't hit shit because it is already dead that half-a-second already, also your arrows hits snails only (but only if they're unaware) or walls
3. Internet speed < 1MB - well, move to some civilised area or start playing tabletop D&D instead
4. Old PC - see pt 3
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2022 at 10:04am by Oracler »  

Here's a drama, There's a drama, and another little drama
Fuzzy drama, Funny drama, drama drama duck

drama drama, cheesecake drama, tablet, brick, potato, drama
drama drama mushroom drama, drama drama duck

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Oracler wrote on Jan 19th, 2022 at 9:57am:
3. Internet speed < 1MB - well, move to some civilised area or start playing tabletop D&D instead

Shockingly, dial-up is still a thing. That being said I've never heard of a broadband connection still offering less than a meg a second. But throughput and actual performance are two different things.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #12 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Oracler wrote on Jan 19th, 2022 at 9:57am:
Things that makes DDO freezes. In order of impact.

1. Packetloss rate - >5% and you're fucking rubber-banding every corner, loading screen freeze every 2nd zoning.
2. Ping time -> 300ms and you can't hit shit because it is already dead that half-a-second already, also your arrows hits snails only (but only if they're unaware) or walls
4. Old PC - see pt 3

Your list completely ignores by far the largest cause:  DDO’s shitty spaghetto code being run thru bottom shelf servers by bottom tiered dumb fucks.

Everything else added up together is only a mere fraction of the stupidity coming from that clown car sporting four flat tires.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Jan 19th, 2022 at 1:51pm:
Your list completely ignores by far the largest cause:  DDO’s shitty spaghetto code being run thru bottom shelf servers by bottom tiered dumb fucks.

Everything else added up together is only a mere fraction of the stupidity coming from that clown car sporting four flat tires.

Yes but SSGs dumbfuckery does not address why the game runs fine for some people and like extra hot garbage for others.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #14 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 19th, 2022 at 1:12pm:
. That being said I've never heard of a broadband connection still offering less than a meg a second.

DSL lines in the early days was 512K down/64K up.  ( and DDO Worked fine on that )...
It's also still the case if you have more than 5Km of wire between your DSL box and the operator DSLAM.

You might manage to get 1Mb/128K with new wires... but if you're really at the end of the DSL capability ( about 8Km ) you'll be happy to have 256K/16K.

( obviously in those extreme cases triple play is out... so if your $telco tries to sell you one give it a finger and go for Internet only with a separate phone landline )

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Jan 20th, 2022 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 19th, 2022 at 6:08pm:
DSL lines in the early days was 512K down/64K up.  ( and DDO Worked fine on that )...
It's also still the case if you have more than 5Km of wire between your DSL box and the operator DSLAM.

You might manage to get 1Mb/128K with new wires... but if you're really at the end of the DSL capability ( about 8Km ) you'll be happy to have 256K/16K.

( obviously in those extreme cases triple play is out... so if your $telco tries to sell you one give it a finger and go for Internet only with a separate phone landline )

So they're actually still even offering DSL as a standard, huh? I thought everyone and there brother had switched over to FIOS/Cable by now.

I remember having DSL at 768 down 128 up back in the late 90s. It was funny because all my friends were still on dial up and constantly trading tips and tricks. Meanwhile I'm sitting there like "I have always-on internet, bite me". It was funny.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #16 - Jan 20th, 2022 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 20th, 2022 at 10:58am:
So they're actually still even offering DSL as a standard, huh? I thought everyone and there brother had switched over to FIOS/Cable by now.

I remember having DSL at 768 down 128 up back in the late 90s. It was funny because all my friends were still on dial up and constantly trading tips and tricks. Meanwhile I'm sitting there like "I have always-on internet, bite me". It was funny.

Here it depends...

First : Cable is dead. All the cable operators agregated into one telco or another and moved from cable to DSL/FTTH.

Second :
If you're in a FTTH covered area, only fiber will be offered. ( even for justa phone line ).
If you're in an area where there's no FTTH, then the default option is DSL.
If you have the bad luck of being more then 8km away from the DSLAM/Remote Subscriber Stage they they very very reluctantly give you an old fixed line. ( you you are lucky enough to find a saledroid that knows how to coax the system into giving one... because 10 years ago it was already difficult to get one, nowadays, it's technically impossible but there's always exceptions )

Edit : oh and when I write FTTH, I really mean Fiber to the Home... the Fiber to Ethernet Converter is inside the house/flat/whatever as near as possible to the triple play box, when the box doesn't have a built-in fiber interface.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2022 at 3:07pm by Flav »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Jan 20th, 2022 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 20th, 2022 at 3:02pm:
Here it depends...

First : Cable is dead. All the cable operators agregated into one telco or another and moved from cable to DSL/FTTH.

Interesting. What happened over here was all the cable TV switched over to fiber optics, which left behind a ton of old copper infrastructure. Terrible for delivering 5,000 channels in beautiful HD, but turned out to be fantastic for delivering broadband internet. So for example my house has our phone line and TV delivered via fiberoptic, but our internet is cable.

Flav wrote on Jan 20th, 2022 at 3:02pm:
Second :
If you're in a FTTH covered area, only fiber will be offered. ( even for justa phone line ).
If you're in an area where there's no FTTH, then the default option is DSL.
If you have the bad luck of being more then 8km away from the DSLAM/Remote Subscriber Stage they they very very reluctantly give you an old fixed line. ( you you are lucky enough to find a saledroid that knows how to coax the system into giving one... because 10 years ago it was already difficult to get one, nowadays, it's technically impossible but there's always exceptions )

Edit : oh and when I write FTTH, I really mean Fiber to the Home... the Fiber to Ethernet Converter is inside the house/flat/whatever as near as possible to the triple play box, when the box doesn't have a built-in fiber interface.

I suspect DSL might still exist over in the more remote regions. Where I live happens to have fairly high population density without a ton of space between towns. I know of a major switching building about a mile from my home(about 1.61km for you freedom-haters), and another in the next town over; there's probably a dozen more I haven't seen.

Around here you can always tell a switching building pretty easy. First, the parking lot is ALWAYS in terrible condition, asphalt completely degraded and cracked everywhere, usually weeds growing up through it. They don't even man them full-time anymore so the lot is also usually empty. There will be a sign for the telco company - and next to it the faded remnants of three other signs from the last three telco companies that owned the building.

One of these days I'm going to bribe my way in and just have a gander at all the pretty switches.

IP Logged

S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jan 20th, 2022 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
for what it's worth, we do have DSL.  Satellite is not even an option in the holler I am in.
Our group is all AARP members and we had 5 static players and usually a spot for a guest star.  We played DDO mostly because we all had other hobbies to spend money on, kids, and it would run on our old/shitty computers.
Now, anyone on an older computer IS being left out, even with no real updates to the game.  Our group is down to 3.
I was able to get a newer computer, but I had no idea how much the SSD drive would make a difference.  ty

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - Jan 20th, 2022 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
S_O_B wrote on Jan 20th, 2022 at 4:34pm:
for what it's worth, we do have DSL.  Satellite is not even an option in the holler I am in.
Our group is all AARP members and we had 5 static players and usually a spot for a guest star.  We played DDO mostly because we all had other hobbies to spend money on, kids, and it would run on our old/shitty computers.
Now, anyone on an older computer IS being left out, even with no real updates to the game.  Our group is down to 3.
I was able to get a newer computer, but I had no idea how much the SSD drive would make a difference.  ty

There's ways to get the faster speeds even on an older PC. Unless your machine is so old it doesn't even have PCIe/USB 3.0, that is. If you've got the computer I had in 2018... yeah you're pretty much fucked.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #20 - Jan 20th, 2022 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
depends on what she looks like and what shes into my load times may vary.

Oh game loading, never mind carry on.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2022 at 4:34am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 20th, 2022 at 3:41pm:
(about 1.61km for you freedom-haters)

freedom-haters?  Fucking Americans.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature