Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) After more than a decade they started fixing important things? (Read 11519 times)
Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: After more than a decade they started fixing important things?
Reply #25 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 5:20am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jan 31st, 2022 at 9:07pm:
What about the executive level positions? They are all filled by coders?

Kinda - Sev (who is head of the studio with the Executive Producer title) is one of the "coders"

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #26 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 5:58am
Print Post  
This whole discussion is bad. You're talking about this as if they have some sort of a corp structure.

This dev team is working like an indie gig, with sev and cord being the only ones that can make real meaningful changes, and the 4 others that make any kind of changes sucking their respective dicks to get some money and maybe an icon revamp.

And I get it - the guy built the game, the base of the game is actually really nice - building is flexible with roots in D&D

The graphics are 2006, there's no product management, there isn't a customer service team or marketing per se, they have no idea wtf we need and they don't really care either - it's a self masturbation ritual without any profit or growth incentive, if we get a semi decent update once a year they feel real nice about being game devs or something

Fuck this game

It's special as in special needs

I love it

But fuck this

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #27 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Linker wrote on Feb 1st, 2022 at 5:58am:
This whole discussion is bad. You're talking about this as if they have some sort of a corp structure.

THIS.

Linker wrote on Feb 1st, 2022 at 5:58am:
This dev team is working like an indie gig, with sev and cord being the only ones that can make real meaningful changes

Close - its Sev and some other devs that call all the shots behind the scenes. cordo is just a glorified ranch hand. He's the 'community manager' and you can bet Sev reminds him every single day how expendable he is.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Shroud Slacker

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #28 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 1st, 2022 at 12:39pm:
...cordo is just a glorified ranch hand. He's the 'community manager' and you can bet Sev reminds him every single day how expendable he is.

Indeed.

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #29 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
With the dysfunction we've witnessed over 16 years, it's still pretty amazing that they're the best MMO iteration of D&D available.

/shrug

Hint: Ladders in the dragon age sucked, too.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #30 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
The only thing Cordo is good at is dying in livestreams.   He’s so fucking bad at his job, they could replace him with a baked potato and nobody’d really notice a difference…except that the baked potato wouldn’t be such a thin-skinned, ban happy pussy on the forums.

Sev?  That crack addled retard is the major reason this game is in such bad shape.  He’s not even fit to run a shift at McDonalds, yet here he is fucking this shit up even more - thru really bad decisions - on a daily basis.  I mean, there are single cell organisms with greater situational awareness than that dumb fuck.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #31 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Feb 1st, 2022 at 2:16pm:
The only thing Cordo is good at is dying in livestreams.   He’s so fucking bad at his job, they could replace him with a baked potato and nobody’d really notice a difference…except that the baked potato wouldn’t be such a thin-skinned, ban happy pussy on the forums.

I bet Sev reminds him daily that they could get someone from the forums to do his job for free. When do you suppose was the last time cordo got a cost of living raise?

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Feb 1st, 2022 at 2:16pm:
Sev?  That crack addled retard is the major reason this game is in such bad shape.  He’s not even fit to run a shift at McDonalds, yet here he is fucking this shit up even more - thru really bad decisions - on a daily basis.  I mean, there are single cell organisms with greater situational awareness than that dumb fuck.

If Sev were working for a large studio and answerable to someone, things would no doubt be very different. He is clearly a very talented coder(assuming he worked on Asheron's Call). But not everyone who's good at a skill is also good at leading a team.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #32 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Feb 1st, 2022 at 1:33pm:
With the dysfunction we've witnessed over 16 years, it's still pretty amazing that they're the best MMO iteration of D&D available.

/shrug

Hint: Ladders in the dragon age sucked, too.

Well Never Winter night 2 was castrated to the point that anything that might be ending against DDO was basically defanged.  ( no stand alone client, no linux stand alone client, no linux server, no linux standalone server, no database hookups [all those despite all the promises ]... Thats when I just dumped coding and went full dumb player.

[ hell I have coded hundred lines of code ( including a full crafting system based on ATS ) in NWN... but even doing colors and stuff in DDO feels like a PITA to do [despite the fact tht it's just one file editing ] ) ]

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Feb 2nd, 2022 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 31st, 2022 at 10:22pm:
SSG doesn't have "executives". The developers are running the show. If you look at the leadership you've got Jason Epstein who owns a big chunk of Daybreak and is way too busy making money to bother with managing one game. All the rest of SSGs hireups are artists or coders(which SSG calls "designers" because they suck), people with such intimate knowledge that if they walk the game stops functioning.

Yes, they answer to Daybreak and EG7, but Daybreak and EG7 have much bigger things to deal with than how one small game is being run. As long as they money keeps flowing in, they don't care. Once the money stops, they'll shut the lights off as fast as possible.

How did they get to this point? They started off as Turbine right? Was it just a bunch of indie developers who lucked out and got the license?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #34 - Feb 3rd, 2022 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Feb 2nd, 2022 at 11:43pm:
How did they get to this point? They started off as Turbine right? Was it just a bunch of indie developers who lucked out and got the license?

So anyone else can feel free to correct me on this, I am typing from memory here, but this is my understanding of the course of events:

Back in the late 90s Turbine started off as some coders and artists. I believe Sev was involved at this point but don't know for sure. The coders in particular were extremely talented - they managed to write a graphics engine and underlying game engine that allowed them to create a 500 square mile fully 3 dimensional virtual world in about 1996(this is an impressive feat today let alone when their first prototype was ready).

Now this is before the concept of "indie" studios was a thing. They were a startup. Their technology was impressive enough to attract the attention of Microsoft, who provided funding and publishing to create the game Asheron's Call. AC was then and still is revolutionary on many levels -and what they were able to create with fucking dial up is still better than most MMOs releasing today.

In the AC era Turbine certainly had executives, HR, etc. Eventually they were bought by Warner Bros. I don't know the exact timeline. Turbine then used much of the underlying code structure to create DDO(which is weird because DDO is very closed/instanced while AC was open - go figure but thats why you can see across the Shroud on a clear day).

Then came the great schism and the shift from Turbine to SSG - this is when they dispensed with the executives and any concept of management, started all this "like an indie studio" crap. Since most of us were around for that we know the story - WB sold SSG to Daybreak who took DDO and LOTRO and said "YOLO shut that shit down!" to Asheron's Call(which honestly could have had years more life with a little effort).

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 12:17am
Print Post  
So, warner brothers fired all the management and left the coders behind to form SSG?

IP Logged

Darcat
DQ Assaulter

BEEFCAKE!!

Reply #36 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 4:28am
Print Post  
ok let me say this

life is like a pinball machine....

and we are putting quarters into it...

SSG does pretty well at the stress vs reward thingy...

even tho i think im nerfed about 80%

but w/e

yer all pussies

IP Logged

Darcat
DQ Assaulter

BEEFCAKE!!

Reply #37 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 4:29am
Print Post  
did i just high coo ? zomg zomg

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #38 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 11:39am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Feb 6th, 2022 at 12:17am:
So, warner brothers fired all the management and left the coders behind to form SSG?

No. The coders quite Turbine and formed a new company called SSG where they made themselves managers.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #39 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 6th, 2022 at 11:39am:
No. The coders quite Turbine and formed a new company called SSG where they made themselves managers.

And they’ve been running around like a chicken with its head cut off ever since.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #40 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Feb 6th, 2022 at 3:04pm:
And they’ve been running around like a chicken with its head cut off ever since. 

That is what headless chickens do. All the organs(aka coders, designers, community managers, etc) know how to do their job and will keep on doing it. But without a brain(aka competent leadership) they're just going to run around and get shit in their neck hole.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 3:20am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 6th, 2022 at 11:39am:

OK...but why did this work? Typically, when you do something like this, the original company (who has the rights) just goes "lol no" and you are forced to make a new game instead of taking over the old games you used to work on.

If blizzard coders quit and formed a new company, theres no way they would get put in charge of WOW, blizzard would just hire new coders to replace them and keep going. Why didnt turbine do that?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #42 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Feb 7th, 2022 at 3:20am:
OK...but why did this work? Typically, when you do something like this, the original company (who has the rights) just goes "lol no" and you are forced to make a new game instead of taking over the old games you used to work on.

If blizzard coders quit and formed a new company, theres no way they would get put in charge of WOW, blizzard would just hire new coders to replace them and keep going. Why didnt turbine do that?

Well clearly it doesn't work, as we can plainly see.

The story according to SSG is that they bought the games from WB/Turbine and took them to form a new company. We know this is probably not true. We'll never know the exact details of the deal that was struck. Its pretty clear WB did not want DDO & LOTRO and was planning to either shutter the games or sell them off. Based on the releases by EG7, what we think happened is WB sold the games to DayBreak, and DayBreak let the vital staff from Turbine quit and form SSG.

Technically speaking DayBreak/EG7 are in charge, but they clearly don't care about about anything other than short-term profits.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Feb 9th, 2022 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
I'm really not sure if that's actually true.

This game was ready to fucking die before Ravenloft. Just look from ToEE to just before Tethyamar. That is the worst content, the worst player count, and the worst prospects DDO has ever had. Becoming that indie team clearly made the people working the game happier, and got some people who had left under the corporate yoke to come back, such as Torc.

It's disorganized, but it's not having a morale crisis that could kill the game internally.

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #44 - Feb 10th, 2022 at 1:29am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 7th, 2022 at 1:04pm:
Technically speaking DayBreak/EG7 are in charge, but they clearly don't care about about anything other than short-term profits.

Just expect that the first day they stop earning ca$h on this game they will kill it. Which won't happen in any near future.

DDO players are so milky cows according to any statistics we have. Most wealthy generation that yet playing games plus most honest community within B+ mmo's.

Here's a drama, There's a drama, and another little drama
Fuzzy drama, Funny drama, drama drama duck

drama drama, cheesecake drama, tablet, brick, potato, drama
drama drama mushroom drama, drama drama duck

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #45 - Feb 10th, 2022 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
I hope when the time comes they at least give the game a better send-off than AC.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #46 - Feb 10th, 2022 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 10th, 2022 at 1:25pm:
I hope when the time comes they at least give the game a better send-off than AC.

Expect the exact opposite of that.  Those idiots can’t even put the lid on a peanut butter jar without adult supervision.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #47 - Feb 10th, 2022 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Feb 10th, 2022 at 2:10pm:
Expect the exact opposite of that.  Those idiots can’t even put the lid on a peanut butter jar without adult supervision.

I said "I hope". I expect it to be a lot worse.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #48 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
BTW, what’s the fucking point of those idiots doing weekly restarts when it’s now doing absolutely nothing to reduce lag?  It was just as fucking bad at 1pm Wednesday, as it was at 8:30am before the restart.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised when those drooling dumb fucks do things like accidentally fixing all that TR Cache lag when they were trying to do something seemingly unrelated to that clusterfuck.

…and each update creates even more tangles in their retarded spaghetto code.

Seriously though, what exactly does Severlin do?  As far as I can tell, all he does is just sit around and mumble incoherently.

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #49 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Using the Devs behaviour and actions over the last ten years would suggest that they don't care about Lag outside of distraction of whining players, and as a useful excuse for changes made to wind back power creep they sold previously.

But I could be wrong...

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint