Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic So exactly what in the hell ARE we supposed to be doing with DD XP stones? (Read 2850 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

So exactly what in the hell ARE we supposed to be doing with DD XP stones?
Mar 15th, 2022 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Found this shitpost on the motherboards today. Check the dev tracker, per Cordo:

Quote:
No need to speculate, it is absolutely true that stacking XP stones would create extremely problematic behavior for the long-term health of the game. We don't have plans to change the way these stones work, but if we did, offering further opportunity to hoard them would not likely be something we would pursue.

From this thread making some very valid points about giving us better ways to store and use the daily dice XP stones.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/530830-I-d-appreciate-a-way-to-combine...

Reading between the lines, it appears SSG explicitly does not want us hoarding DD stones for later consumption.

So what the ever living fuck does SSG think we're supposed to do with them?

Consider: past about level 2, 500 XP is a spit in the ocean. A daily silver role is barely going to help you level any faster in early heroics and might as well take XP away in epics. Its a rock-fucking stupid feature if used one at a time as received.

So, what the fuck do you think SSG has in mind? If they don't want us hoarding the stones, what the hell else do they want us doing with them?

I swear, trying to figure out SSG's design choices is like trying to understand a five year old's hacker manifesto.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Re: So exactly what in the hell ARE we supposed to be doing with DD XP stones?
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2022 at 9:00am
Print Post  
1. To keep your inventory slots bloated, so you'll eventually buy more character slots, inventory banks etc. in effect spending more money and/or burning TP leftovers.
2. To encourage you to do a TR from time to time (or roll a new char) and eat the stones - to keep you in TR loop so you can carry some noobs eventually. Also you'll prolly run new content during such TR so you post some lowbie stuff on ASAH, which makes noobs empty their pockets on astrals.

Fun Facts:
1. You will need ~1200 gold rolls xp to do a full heroic TR from it (10x more if silver, half if during double dice weekend).
2. Basing only on free silver rolls it would take 20+ years to collect xp for a full heroic TR (if you roll every 16 hours). 2 years basing on current free gold rolls as VIP (they will stay).
3. During Double Dice XP weekend for TR you'll need 560 rolls, which is 8400 astrals "only". Someone had to spend about $250+ to buy this amount in the first place (Otto box in comparison is $30).
4. It takes at average 3 minutes to gain same xp as from gold roll just by playing the game (for a semi veteran let's say) even on early levels.

Everyone thinks that XP stones is the main benefit of DD rolls, but in fact is only a TR bait / inv bloater.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2022 at 9:02am by Oracler »  

Here's a drama, There's a drama, and another little drama
Fuzzy drama, Funny drama, drama drama duck

drama drama, cheesecake drama, tablet, brick, potato, drama
drama drama mushroom drama, drama drama duck

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2022 at 9:07am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 15th, 2022 at 1:36am:
Reading between the lines, it appears SSG explicitly does not want us hoarding DD stones for later consumption.

The way I read that is them being well aware of how many issues stacking things has caused for them in the past wrt dupes.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2022 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Oracler wrote on Mar 15th, 2022 at 9:00am:
1. To keep your inventory slots bloated, so you'll eventually buy more character slots, inventory banks etc. in effect spending more money and/or burning TP leftovers.
2. To encourage you to do a TR from time to time (or roll a new char) and eat the stones - to keep you in TR loop so you can carry some noobs eventually. Also you'll prolly run new content during such TR so you post some lowbie stuff on ASAH, which makes noobs empty their pockets on astrals.

The whole point of the post is players are hoarding the stones, fat jerry is saying SSG doesn't want players hoarding stones. All your suggested uses involve hoarding stones.

Oracler wrote on Mar 15th, 2022 at 9:00am:
Fun Facts:
1. You will need ~1200 gold rolls xp to do a full heroic TR from it (10x more if silver, half if during double dice weekend).
2. Basing only on free silver rolls it would take 20+ years to collect xp for a full heroic TR (if you roll every 16 hours). 2 years basing on current free gold rolls as VIP (they will stay).
3. During Double Dice XP weekend for TR you'll need 560 rolls, which is 8400 astrals "only". Someone had to spend about $250+ to buy this amount in the first place (Otto box in comparison is $30).
4. It takes at average 3 minutes to gain same xp as from gold roll just by playing the game (for a semi veteran let's say) even on early levels.

Everyone thinks that XP stones is the main benefit of DD rolls, but in fact is only a TR bait / inv bloater.

Accurate.

My personal theory is SSG thought that 500-1000 XP would be beneficial. Like so many things they were wrong.

kum-gulp wrote on Mar 15th, 2022 at 9:07am:
The way I read that is them being well aware of how many issues stacking things has caused for them in the past wrt dupes.

From Cordo:

Quote:
We don't have plans to change the way these stones work, but if we did, offering further opportunity to hoard them would not likely be something we would pursue.

They are were obviously not going to make them stack for so many reasons. But what's odd is the specific statement that seems to be discouraging hoarding them at all.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2022 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Pretty sure the real reason is that they lack the skills to make it happen without adding a bunch of lag to something seemingly completely unrelated.  Those lazy, half assed shitbags have proven time and again they don’t know what the fuck they’re doing, even when they think they do.

Severlin is the absolute worst of the bunch. 

Not only is he a shit coder, his shit decisions are the single largest reason this game is in such shitty shape.  I mean, I can’t blame the shitbag for SSG’s non existent customer service, but pretty much everything else falls under that flaming pile of shit’s purview.

A game is only going to be as good as the people working on it, so no wonder this game is such a lagged out clusterfuck.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2022 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Mar 15th, 2022 at 12:26pm:
I mean, I can’t blame the shitbag for SSG’s non existent customer service,

No, you can absolutely blame him for that. Supportability is an engineering thing, Sev is the engineer. The reason they shitcanned CS was because it was too expensive. The reason it was too expensive is because Sev failed to develop tools for it.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2022 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 15th, 2022 at 12:36pm:
No, you can absolutely blame him for that. Supportability is an engineering thing, Sev is the engineer. The reason they shitcanned CS was because it was too expensive. The reason it was too expensive is because Sev failed to develop tools for it.

Yeah, I guess he could deserve shit for a lack of CS tools, but I don’t know for a fact that he didn’t do that.  I mean, CS operations are normally outside of a producers purview. 

Regardless, point taken.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2022 at 3:21pm by Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz »  

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2022 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Cordovan doesn't know that XP stones are useless past the first few levels because he doesn't actually play the game and TR like normal people.

I mean, okay, you TR, you use stones to get to level 3 or so...that's fine...but using stones when doing iconic lives makes no sense because you start at level 15 anyway so they just pile up and its a PITA...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2022 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Mar 16th, 2022 at 8:07am:
Cordovan doesn't know that XP stones are useless past the first few levels because he doesn't actually play the game and TR like normal people.

I mean, okay, you TR, you use stones to get to level 3 or so...

Yeah, that's my point - Cordo seems to think that's not what they are for. So what does he think they do?

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2022 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Personally, I'd use all of em at this point before they find a way to nuked them, the comments by Jerry ring like the stuff they normally start floating before gutting something. Full disclosure, I stopped caring about xp stones when boxes became so widely duped and available. While its not quite quicker to zerg a couple quests and slayers to get to the threshold its a lot less mind-numbing than using a big stack of xp stones.

My 2 GP

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

ThatLit
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2022 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Would love it if I could feed them to sentient gems.

IP Logged

dieinafirescumbag
Korthos Resident

Here for the sploits

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2022 at 4:40am
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Mar 15th, 2022 at 12:26pm:
Severlin is the absolute worst of the bunch. 

Severlin destroyed DDO. Power creep became power leap. Look at the achievement forum before and after Severlin.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2022 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
dieinafirescumbag wrote on Mar 25th, 2022 at 4:40am:
Severlin destroyed DDO. Power creep became power leap. Look at the achievement forum before and after Severlin.

What are you talking about, it’s the same people. lol

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2022 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Mar 25th, 2022 at 1:42pm:
What are you talking about, it’s the same people. lol

Yeah hasn't Sev been on the team since it was Asheron's Call?

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Shroud Slacker

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2022 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 25th, 2022 at 4:15pm:
Yeah hasn't Sev been on the team since it was Asheron's Call?

He was on the Asheron's Call team, yes.

I think he moved over to DDO either after AC's plug was pulled or after the Paizes were unceremoniously dumped by Turbine.

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Mar 25th, 2022 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Standing Stone Games wrote on Mar 25th, 2022 at 5:39pm:
He was on the Asheron's Call team, yes.

I think he moved over to DDO either after AC's plug was pulled or after the Paizes were unceremoniously dumped by Turbine.

Even if he wasn't officially on the DDO team he would have been firmly involved in production. DDO shares most of its code with AC.

IP Logged

dieinafirescumbag
Korthos Resident

Here for the sploits

Reply #16 - Mar 25th, 2022 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 25th, 2022 at 5:50pm:
Even if he wasn't officially on the DDO team he would have been firmly involved in production.

He wasn't involved in producing DDO until around 2013-2014. There was a very noticable impact right away.

With Severlin came Epic TR, Epic Destinys, Racial TR, Iconic TR, reaper trees, probably way more I cant think of.

Now days if someone wants to start playing DDO they have a 10 year grind ahead to get a close to maxed toon.

IP Logged

Scarrow
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2022 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
dieinafirescumbag wrote on Mar 25th, 2022 at 10:49pm:
He wasn't involved in producing DDO until around 2013-2014. There was a very noticable impact right away.

With Severlin came Epic TR, Epic Destinys, Racial TR, Iconic TR, reaper trees, probably way more I cant think of.

Now days if someone wants to start playing DDO they have a 10 year grind ahead to get a close to maxed toon.

Sev seemed like a money now and worry about the future later kind of guy. Season pass was under his reign to. Kept the game alive I guess, but at what cost.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2022 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Scarrow wrote on Apr 3rd, 2022 at 1:32pm:
Sev seemed like a money now and worry about the future later kind of guy. Season pass was under his reign to. Kept the game alive I guess, but at what cost.

Which makes it all the more amazing that AC lasted 19 years. It would probably still being strong today if Sev weren't so short-sighted.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint