Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic More hinkyness with RNG (Read 3323 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

More hinkyness with RNG
Mar 27th, 2022 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I've been farming Feywild rares recently, no particular reason other than I worked out a good circuit and it was something to do. I hit about 100 rares across several characters, picked up some sentient food(between ferrocrystal weapons and superfluous minor artifacts, its decent).

Then something odd happened: I found a fey-twisted chest in the wilderness.

Then I found 5 more of them in under an hour.

Now I had heard fey-twisted chests dropped in the wilderness, but didn't really believe it based on sample size. Then I got 6 of them on the same character over the course of about an hour. On a character I hadn't yet set foot in in the feywild before. That's a pretty suspicious bumb. Obviously its statistically possible, but seems unlikely.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

The Real Grand
Korthos Resident

Mmmm! So good!

Re: More hinkyness with RNG
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2022 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
It's like you've always suspected but dare not hope to be true!  You're super special!  The devs are rewarding you for being so awesome and super cool!

Dumbass.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2022 at 9:40am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 27th, 2022 at 1:35pm:
I've been farming Feywild rares recently, no particular reason other than I worked out a good circuit and it was something to do. I hit about 100 rares across several characters, picked up some sentient food(between ferrocrystal weapons and superfluous minor artifacts, its decent).

Then something odd happened: I found a fey-twisted chest in the wilderness.

Then I found 5 more of them in under an hour.

Now I had heard fey-twisted chests dropped in the wilderness, but didn't really believe it based on sample size. Then I got 6 of them on the same character over the course of about an hour. On a character I hadn't yet set foot in in the feywild before. That's a pretty suspicious bumb. Obviously its statistically possible, but seems unlikely.

If I remember right, it’s about 2% chance. We had the rate pretty well nailed down at one time because several were farming and recording data over many trials. I always preferred r10 farming that one quest with the guaranteed chest guarded by water Ellie’s. Can’t remember the name, but it’s the first one one the left from the Wynwood Hall as you enter wilderness. The one with redcaps guarding the gate. But you can bypass those, go left in the water and under. You can spot the cheat as Feytwisted or not before engaging any enemies at all. IF it’s Feytwisted, you can either solo the water Ellie’s OR post a party to come loot it and help kill them.

I did it enough times (hundreds) to be pretty sure R10 had better rates. So, that quest on r10 was the most reliable method I found. I tried to keep one piece of every twisted gear. I managed to get 3/4 of them, I think.

Each attempt was 30-45 seconds. Avg 1 twisted per 20-30 attempts = 1 chest per 10-20 mins.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2022 at 9:43am by Head-Meat »  

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2022 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Did you happen to record any odd clumps? At one point I got 3 feytwisted chests in a row in the wilderness.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2022 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Mar 29th, 2022 at 9:40am:
If I remember right, it’s about 2% chance. We had the rate pretty well nailed down at one time because several were farming and recording data over many trials. I always preferred r10 farming that one quest with the guaranteed chest guarded by water Ellie’s. Can’t remember the name, but it’s the first one one the left from the Wynwood Hall as you enter wilderness. The one with redcaps guarding the gate. But you can bypass those, go left in the water and under. You can spot the cheat as Feytwisted or not before engaging any enemies at all. IF it’s Feytwisted, you can either solo the water Ellie’s OR post a party to come loot it and help kill them.

I did it enough times (hundreds) to be pretty sure R10 had better rates. So, that quest on r10 was the most reliable method I found. I tried to keep one piece of every twisted gear. I managed to get 3/4 of them, I think.

Each attempt was 30-45 seconds. Avg 1 twisted per 20-30 attempts = 1 chest per 10-20 mins.

So I've done about 70 trips into Make Believe on various reaper levels and still not seen that chest manifest as Feytwisted. If I hadn't have heard it from the Head-Meat's mouth I wouldn't believe the chest could feytwist. Going to do another 30-40 this evening when work lets out. This is still a more reliable way to farm feytiwsts than anything else.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 29th, 2022 at 10:34pm:
So I've done about 70 trips into Make Believe on various reaper levels and still not seen that chest manifest as Feytwisted. If I hadn't have heard it from the Head-Meat's mouth I wouldn't believe the chest could feytwist. Going to do another 30-40 this evening when work lets out. This is still a more reliable way to farm feytiwsts than anything else.

We did this early on. It's possible they changed the rates. I DOUBT they singled out that chest. But, it could be.

I highly recommend ONLY Reaper 10. I think it makes a difference. When you're dealing with such low rates, .5% makes a big difference.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Here's another anecdote: I did a round of R10 Feywild maybe a month ago. I think we ended up seeing 1-2 Fey chests during that round. Meaning we did the saga or whatever.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Mar 31st, 2022 at 1:25pm:
We did this early on. It's possible they changed the rates. I DOUBT they singled out that chest. But, it could be.

I agree. I can't imagine why they would single out a specific chest let alone whether or not they even can.

Head-Meat wrote on Mar 31st, 2022 at 1:25pm:
I highly recommend ONLY Reaper 10. I think it makes a difference. When you're dealing with such low rates, .5% makes a big difference.

I standardized on R5 a little while ago. I suppose I could cake-scum my way to victory on R10. Its not *actually* that important to me, this is just something to do when I've only got 10 minutes to play.

I did finally find a single feytwisted chest... after 150 runs. I'm not suggesting the rate is actually 1/150, just that that's how many runs I did before a feytwisted popped up. I suspect the rate actually is 1/50 but because of DDO's broken RNG, you'd have to look at 10,000 chests before you actually got that average.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
a 2% chance does not mean you will get one every 50.  It means that there is a 2% chance each time independent of the time before and the time after. 

devs have posted about their rng long long ago claiming it was good according to their tests.  everything you post about clumping is just so much bollocks you simply aren't seeing consecutive rolls of the rng, other people are getting rng rolls between your rolls. Clumping of results IS normal for an rng

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Mar 31st, 2022 at 4:39pm:
a 2% chance does not mean you will get one every 50.

Fucking DUH.

However 2% DOES mean that after enough instances it should average out to 1 in 50. If after 10,000 instances it didn't average out to 1 in 50, it wouldn't be 2%.

Do you not get numbers, asshole?

devs have posted about their rng long long ago claiming it was good according to their tests.

If you believe them, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Clumping of results IS normal for an rng

I've explained this before but since you're an idiot I'll explain it one more time, and I'll use small words: Yes, clumping results IS normal. No, clumping results every fucking time is NOT normal.

I can reliably produce clumps where there shouldn't be on a regular, repeatable basis. That should not happen if the system is working correctly.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Did you test 10000 times?  or did you have like 100, oh look, you have 100 from the root message.

Did you test 10000 consecutive results or was it a random 100 results over many thousands (i.e. serverwide) over which you have no idea how many. 

Your input sample is so meaningless that you cannot draw any meaningful results from it.

try this
create a spreadsheet. 
Cell A1 = Randbetween(1, 100), drag down to create 100 results.
Cell A100 = =COUNTIF(A1:A100, 1)
drag that range it across for 100 columns
gets you how many time 1 comes up, good quick estimate of 1%

Here's the 100 results I got from the countif row
1      1      2      0      0      1      0      0      0      1      0      1      0      5      1      2      1      3      1      1      0      2      0      2      1      0      1      1      0      5      1      1      4      0      1      1      1      1      0      0      0      0      0      2      2      3      0      0      0      2      1      4      2      2      0      0      2      1      1      1      3      1      3      4      1      1      0      2      1      1      3      1      1      1      1      1      1      1      0      0      3      0      1      0      1      1      1      0      0      0      2      1      1      3      4      2      1      1      1      2

Total number of times 1 happened is 118, it should be 100, and that's over 10000 results.  That's way outside of 1% 
There is a two columns with 5 in.  5 times in 100, with a 1% chance, clumping!
There is a group of 5 adjacent columns with only 0's in.  500 with not a single 1!
There is a group of 7 adjacent columns with only 1 1 in very smooth distribution, suspicious! 

Try it yourself and look at the data you get.

what you are seeing in your data is a human finding patterns in randomness

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
devs have posted about their rng long long ago claiming it was good according to their tests. 

LOL

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
If I remember right, it’s about 2% chance. 

I asked a statustician friend for help and we came up with about 3,000 runs to get a 95% certainty this number is correct(with a 0.005% margin for error). At 45 seconds a run that'll take 37 hours. I don't think I'll proving this rate any time soon. In fact I think I'll go play some dodgeball instead.

Been doing R10s for a bit and not seeing anywhere close to this. But, as we've determined, a very large sample size is required and I'm getting bored.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Shroud Slacker

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2022 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Mar 31st, 2022 at 10:46pm:
statustician

WTF??

Try "statistician," knucklehead.

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2022 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Standing Stone Games wrote on Apr 1st, 2022 at 1:42pm:
WTF??

Try "statistician," knucklehead.

This is the DDO Vault. Not a spelling bee.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2022 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I'm getting bored.

This is where grind masochism separates men from boys! You punish yourself through it! It's the only way to complete misery.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Shroud Slacker

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2022 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 1st, 2022 at 1:57pm:
This is the DDO Vault. Not a spelling bee.

I see. Googling is too hard for you, then.

You should blame your parents.

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2022 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Apr 1st, 2022 at 2:20pm:
This is where grind masochism separates men from boys! You punish yourself through it! It's the only way to complete misery.

Playing DDO is enough self-flagellation on its own. But I do need a new way to punish myself when I've been naughty.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 10:29am
Print Post  
I asked a statustician friend for help and we came up with about 3,000 runs to get a 95% certainty this number is correct(with a 0.005% margin for error). At 45 seconds a run that'll take 37 hours. I don't think I'll proving this rate any time soon. In fact I think I'll go play some dodgeball instead.

Been doing R10s for a bit and not seeing anywhere close to this. But, as we've determined, a very large sample size is required and I'm getting bored.

Just don't block with your head too much.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2022 at 10:29am by SpaceGoat »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint