Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Are you planning to get Isle of Dread, and if so, how? (Read 11533 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Are you planning to get Isle of Dread, and if so, how?
Reply #25 - May 21st, 2022 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on May 21st, 2022 at 6:34am:
What kills me is that you probably have no fucking idea what a normal map even is, and yet you preach authoritatively that the work they do compares to an AAA release.

First of all, the closest thing to AAA the game has is the fucking battery the server runs out of every now and again.

Second of, my bad, you weren't noamineo but holy shit you must be his sock to write such comments XD

In today's day and age someone like me, managing a team of 5 decent people who somewhat know their shit, would be able to complete a whole new expansion with voice acting, character acting (mocap) scenes, and 30 new levels that the game calls "very long" in about a month and a half. If you want to throw in a new class where you want the motion not to look completely retarded add 2 weeks to make it an even 2 months.

That's 6 people for 2 months in terms of how much it costs them to get it done.

Now compare what they ask for, $129
To what an AAA game that's actually well made and took a team of 20 to make over one or more years at release. Which is almost never more than $60.

And tell us again how their pricing isn't just ripping fucking people, investors, players, *and developers* off...

I wasn't comparing the dev effort or production time on a new AAA IP release and an expansion.  I don't pay for something based on how much money it cost to make.  By your argument, why does a horror movie or rom-com (which cost 5-30 million to make) have the same ticket price at the theater or on-demand streaming price as a Marvel or Star Wars movie (which costs 200-300 million to make)?

I'm not sure you understand how game pricing works, honestly, if you think how big the dev team is and how many hours it took should be factored into how much a consumer is willing to pay.  Consumers base value on how much benefit they get for their dollars.   

You could, of course, make the argument that AAA games should not still cost $60-70 each, like they have since the 90's  With inflation, the games we were buying back then for $59.99 should cost $117 today.  But game prices have remained relatively flat.  Despite huge increases in production costs.   Honestly, for a good AAA game, I'd pay double what they are asking just for the standard edition.  I would not pay that for the standard edition of Isle of Dread.  I think $40 is fine value for standard.  It's about 60% the price of a AAA. 

And, Lol.  Yes.  I am a Noamineo sock.  You figured it out.  Great job by you.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #26 - May 21st, 2022 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on May 21st, 2022 at 7:14am:
No you are clearly blinkered if you think 12 quests and a raid is the equivalent to a AAA release. So you are going to spend about 20 hours in each quest? thats a lot of repetition - you could play a single rpg multiple times too if you want we tend not to as there are better gameplay experiences than endless repetition.

Its cool that the expansion is worth it to you but dont lose sight of the fact it really is objectively a poor value proposition. SSG get some slack for being a small team but the money they make from these expansions is massive.

There are a lot of ways to derive value from video games.  Some people like new content experiences and the feeling of the unknown and exploration.   Some prefer to retry the same content multiple times with different builds or different strategies to to affect different outcomes.  It's part of why arcade games are so popular with some.  Pac Man, for example, has the same maps.  Always.  With the same variables in speed of ghosts.  The only real challenge is you learning the patterns and honing your strategy.  MMO's, in my opinion, are more akin to chess, pac-man, and other games like that.  Where the content repetition isolates one variable so that you can focus on others.  That's why DDO is a builder's game.  It's about the builds and the character progressions.  Not the content novelty.  If you like content novelty then other genres are probably more your style.  The value of an X-pac here is lmited to your first play thru or two.  That's not going to be much value. 

It's not right or wrong.  Just different.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - May 21st, 2022 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 21st, 2022 at 8:02am:
There are a lot of ways to derive value from video games.  Some people like new content experiences and the feeling of the unknown and exploration.   Some prefer to retry the same content multiple times with different builds or different strategies to to affect different outcomes.  It's part of why arcade games are so popular with some.  Pac Man, for example, has the same maps.  Always.  With the same variables in speed of ghosts.  The only real challenge is you learning the patterns and honing your strategy.  MMO's, in my opinion, are more akin to chess, pac-man, and other games like that.  Where the content repetition isolates one variable so that you can focus on others.  That's why DDO is a builder's game.  It's about the builds and the character progressions.  Not the content novelty.  If you like content novelty then other genres are probably more your style.  The value of an X-pac here is lmited to your first play thru or two.  That's not going to be much value. 

It's not right or wrong.  Just different.

Were really arguing different things im looking at the value of the expansion and no matter how you slice it $140 for 12 quests and raid is poor value.

The value in DDO is not in the expansion its in the 15+ years of content and systems it already has. I look at the size and scope of an expansion like Endwalker vs Isle of Dread and its mind boggling how little content SSG can give us while charging $140.

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #28 - May 21st, 2022 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on May 17th, 2022 at 4:24pm:
Are you going to shell out $40 for it in the market? Wait for a sale 1 year later and buy it it in the market for $20-30? Buy it for 4k DDO points when it becomes available in the store?

Depends on how the end-game is with the expansion. If it is going to be Legendary TR then I am not returning back. Pretty content with Lost Ark for now and Diablo Immortal is releasing on June 2nd.

Morons also said they will introduce new ways for alts to catch up with your main toon on power level many moons ago and I haven't seen anything so far.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - May 21st, 2022 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on May 21st, 2022 at 1:06pm:
Depends on how the end-game is with the expansion. If it is going to be Legendary TR then I am not returning back. Pretty content with Lost Ark for now and Diablo Immortal is releasing on June 2nd.

Morons also said they will introduce new ways for alts to catch up with your main toon on power level many moons ago and I haven't seen anything so far.

Theres no legendary TR with the xpac 30-32 is once and done (Legendary xp is banked) make no mistake there will be legendary TR down the line just not at lvl 32

IP Logged

FTL
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #30 - May 21st, 2022 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Pre-ordered it the day it came out.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - May 22nd, 2022 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Nah. Won't be getting it.

They're getting greedy, which means the rut they've used for the last 4 years is getting shaky. DDO can't survive another exodus, so it's time to move on.

There's still a few expansions left in the beast, of course. If you're not put off, enjoy, by all means.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - May 22nd, 2022 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
The argument on the pricing and what you are willing to pay is even more retarded then the overall concept.

The point I was making is that pricing something the way the current packs are priced is a total rip off. Period.
No matter what you think. If you were to look at the books you'd see that it's around 90% profit or more.
Probably more, especially if they pay the developers what they are worth... which is nothing.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - May 22nd, 2022 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you won't be able to level past 30 unless you buy the expansion.
They have to justify that DOUBLE THE COST price tag somehow.

But I'm sure the gear will be good. We always knew they would be happy to sell the power back to us that they took.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #34 - May 22nd, 2022 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 8:40pm:
DOUBLE THE COST price tag

Double the cost? DDO Market has the same $$ amount as Feywild and Sharn.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - May 22nd, 2022 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you won't be able to level past 30 unless you buy the expansion.
They have to justify that DOUBLE THE COST price tag somehow.

But I'm sure the gear will be good. We always knew they would be happy to sell the power back to us that they took.

Nah. They said that they'll be upleveling a pack to 32, though if that's at the same time as Dread's release, I'd be surprised.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #36 - May 22nd, 2022 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Bobbicus wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 9:51pm:
Nah. They said that they'll be upleveling a pack to 32, though if that's at the same time as Dread's release, I'd be surprised.

Also it'll be absolutely silly if the create a third leveling-range a-la heroic/epic. Expect all current epic content to still give XP into legendary. It'll suck donkey-balls if only specific "legendary" content gives legendary XP.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - May 22nd, 2022 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 10:14pm:
Also it'll be absolutely silly if the create a third leveling-range a-la heroic/epic. Expect all current epic content to still give XP into legendary. It'll suck donkey-balls if only specific "legendary" content gives legendary XP.

You really do like to say pointless shit that cements you as a fuckwit, don't you?

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - May 23rd, 2022 at 8:15am
Print Post  

No anyone can level to 32. You can get legendary xp for all level 30+ quests

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #39 - May 23rd, 2022 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on May 23rd, 2022 at 8:15am:
No anyone can level to 32. You can get legendary xp for all level 30+ quests

Yep it's already confirmed in FAQ.

I'm gonna wait to see the raid - this will be my hot or not decision maker. I'd buy it right away if there would be 2 raids (history shows that in some cases they added a raid to an expansion when community pushed for it).

Here's a drama, There's a drama, and another little drama
Fuzzy drama, Funny drama, drama drama duck

drama drama, cheesecake drama, tablet, brick, potato, drama
drama drama mushroom drama, drama drama duck

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - May 24th, 2022 at 2:14am
Print Post  
I'd honestly consider buying a $120 expansion if the purchase also brought you up to date on all the other content packs - maybe.

Since they don't, and the value you once had for buying the first real expansion (motu) went out the door, the price has triplicated, the content and original models/art is next to 0...
There really is no point in buying new shit that's just old shit that won't work like everything else in the game.
PLUS, they also broke most of the motu stuff. Even stuff before that, because they are a bunch of incompetent assholes...

Re the leveling, they can't or won't tie it off to purchasing a pack unless getting to 32 provides you 0 benefits at all (Unlikely since faith points and feats are a thing).

In which case, what would be the point of raising the level cap?
All gear is BTA anyway, because that way you can't "buy" it for cash. Making gear that's BTA but level 32 and tying the level gain solely to the expansion is the same shit in practicality really.

Chances are epic levels are getting expanded all the way to 40. Like the original level cap was raised up slowly, badly, awkwardly, stupidly and well... the SSG way...

IP Logged

S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - May 24th, 2022 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
I paid the max for Ravenloft, and I was happy that I did.  The artwork and voice acting were amazing.  I won't mention the great story, because the dev team had it pre-written for them.
The items were +1 must haves and the set bonuses added a lot to the game.  It was also when I played more and game morale was high.
Player base is lower.  They nerfed those items and my toons to shit and are trying to sell it back to me.
They use their own staff for voice acting or a "special guest" from a pod cast.  bleh.  I have no hopes for this pack, but my friends will run it each life, so the cheap pack is just the cost of doing business.  I will also add that $40 (or whatever) is not a bad deal for a year of playing the same game.
SSG also tried to make the extras a bit more sexy than the Ravenloft EXTRA items.  You get a couple otto boxes.  What was Rloft?  (it's not worth looking up but hopefully I made my point)
For those that still have a high morale and high hopes for the game, it's probably a better value than what I bought years ago.
But, Fuck SSG.  Buttfuck SSG?  I go bare minimum, just like they do.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - May 25th, 2022 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Actually I think ravenloft has the dimensional augment bag.
Which the fuckers obviously added 2 years before, knowing full well sentient filegrees would fill the shit out of your inv...
Or maybe I'm giving them way too much credit and it's the other way around.

They added and gave out the bag, then realized they wouldn't sell anymore so they created a bunch of -literally - shit to go in it ...
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2022 at 5:41pm by Anothersock »  

IP Logged

Everling
Waterworks Kobold

Living but dead.

Reply #43 - May 26th, 2022 at 6:36pm
Print Post  

Dimensional augment bag was Sharn I believe. Not 100 percent sure as I bought the low end Sharn pack.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - May 26th, 2022 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
I remember clearly that dimensional augment was sharn and colossal was the max before sharn. I bought a colossal before sharn came out but sharn filis capped out the bag so i was forced to buy a second bag.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #45 - May 27th, 2022 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I'm late to the party, but no, I won't be getting it. At least not for a long time; over 11/12 months of the year, I'm usually not playing DDO anyway, so I typically pick up packs that are on sale (for Turbine Points) way after release. Haven't spent any money on DDO for many years because I've been very unsatisfied with the way Turbine/SSG has handled everything. Over the past 10 years, there's only been 1 update that I liked. MOTU is when it all started going downhill IMO.

Regarding the pricing, I'm pretty sure the $40 pack would be the only thing really worth getting. That contains the "meat" of the pack, namely the quests and Tabaxi. Everything else seems kinda superfluous. Not sure why anyone would spend $120 on that, especially anyone from DDOVault; my impression is we're all quite jaded here.

Even for $40 however, I doubt it'd be worth buying, for me at least. I play a lot of indie games and generally, my rule is $1 = 1 hour of entertainment. Most of the great games surpass that. DDO used to surpass that with old adventure packs that I still enjoy. But I doubt I'd get 40 hours of entertainment out of the new quests. Racial Reincarnating Tabaxi maybe; that's technically "additional content," but I've barely played enough to get any RRs anyway, so I still have plenty of other races to go through if I ever do want to play more DDO.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - May 27th, 2022 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Matter of fact, based on everyone's general sentiment on here I do wonder how the fuck turdbine remains in business...

Sure, for everyone of of "us" there's probably another 2 dickheads care-bear off the mobos who spent $120.

Sooner than later they'll have to charge $200 for the base pack too as the dickheads die off...

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - May 27th, 2022 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 6:38pm:
Matter of fact, based on everyone's general sentiment on here I do wonder how the fuck turdbine remains in business...

Sure, for everyone of of "us" there's probably another 2 dickheads care-bear off the mobos who spent $120.

Sooner than later they'll have to charge $200 for the base pack too as the dickheads die off...

Its easy to see who is pre-ordering the pack because they have access to tabaxi. Just check out the ddoaudit site and look at the races. Most veterans on my server have pre-ordered and started grinding tabaxi racials.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #48 - May 28th, 2022 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 6:38pm:

You think vault posting is representative of the game population?  That'd be erroneous.  Same thing with the mobos.  Looking at online posting is a very small, very skewed sample.  I get that it's all you have since they don't publish any sales numbers.  The only thing we ever really got a gauge for sales/actual interest on was the seasons pass.  They only offered 1000 of those at a $300 price point and they sold out in days (at least per the data provided).  Despite largely be panned on both the mobo and vault as a poor value proposition.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #49 - May 28th, 2022 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on May 27th, 2022 at 8:12pm:
Its easy to see who is pre-ordering the pack because they have access to tabaxi.

Doesn't vip get access even without buying it?  Or do they have to purchase the iconic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint