Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Why did Turbine/SSG make casters so powerful? (Read 4852 times)
iGouger
Ex Member

Re: Why did Turbine/SSG make casters so powerful?
Reply #25 - Jun 1st, 2022 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 1:55pm:
That era where the magic damage in reaper was scaled so low, and before all the buffs to spells, was the worst for caster players. Only CC + instakills. That isn't fun for anyone if that is ALL what every caster is forced into.

Maybe it's dumb nostalgia, but I kinda miss the days when 20 was the cap and casters were expected to have a strong discoball/mass hold DC. Back when healers had to heal. Things were never perfectly balanced, but at least back then, every class had a niche. Every class felt like its own thing. Nowadays, builds are much more streamlined to the point that most classes resemble each other.

Plus, it's not like casters didn't have nukes; it's just they had to use nukes sparingly because this was before SP pots had been duped to kingdom come.

I never liked playing casters and still don't. But back then, I still knew lots of people who loved playing casters. I used to group often with this one guy who loved the playstyle of CC + charming monsters + summoning them.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #26 - Jun 1st, 2022 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Maybe it's dumb nostalgia, but I kinda miss the days when 20 was the cap and casters were expected to have a strong discoball/mass hold DC. Back when healers had to heal. Things were never perfectly balanced, but at least back then, every class had a niche. Every class felt like its own thing. Nowadays, builds are much more streamlined to the point that most classes resemble each other.

Plus, it's not like casters didn't have nukes; it's just they had to use nukes sparingly because this was before SP pots had been duped to kingdom come.

I never liked playing casters and still don't. But back then, I still knew lots of people who loved playing casters. I used to group often with this one guy who loved the playstyle of CC + charming monsters + summoning them.

There was also the option of playing a DC caster.

Back then was also really nice because you could play a first life/no tomes character and be effective on the highest difficulty. It was more about gear than past lives. I miss it as well.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

johnnyonthespot
Korthos Resident

I Do Cocaine

Reply #27 - Jun 1st, 2022 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 1st, 2022 at 1:52pm:
Back then was also really nice because you could play a first life/no tomes character and be effective on the highest difficulty. It was more about gear than past lives. I miss it as well.

^^ Agreed

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #28 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
The game has been periodically "balanced" at times when melees do the highest sustained single target DPS and casters are best at AoE DPS and instakills on trash.   With ranged physical splitting the baby.

Then you get casters clearing the trash and melees/ranged DPS chopping down the reds/purples. 

The only people who bitch about that setup, generally, are the casters who whine "we feel useless in raids".

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #29 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 2nd, 2022 at 6:52pm:
The only people who bitch about that setup, generally, are the casters who whine "we feel useless in raids".

Which casters are those? I play a nuker and do fine DPS on raid bosses. I guess CC asters during pure boss fights? Does anyone still play DC casters?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Spandex
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jun 3rd, 2022 at 5:35am
Print Post  
Ferd wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 9:42am:
LIES! Go look at ddoaudit.com and you'll see the 5 most popular classes are: Pally, Fighter, Rogue, Ranger and then Warlock. The myth that everyone is playing a caster and spoiling my fun boohoo are pushed on the mother board by shitty players pushing flavour templates.

At anything below cap first toon to the mob is gonna kill it - has fuck all to do with build.

Then git gud. Solid melee players can and do lead the kill count at cap.

Right. So when you kill something all that spell power lets you kill it 11 times over! YAY! Useful!! Not.

You are a dumb ass, please stfu ty.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Jun 3rd, 2022 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 2nd, 2022 at 6:52pm:
The game has been periodically "balanced" at times when melees do the highest sustained single target DPS and casters are best at AoE DPS and instakills on trash.   With ranged physical splitting the baby.

Then you get casters clearing the trash and melees/ranged DPS chopping down the reds/purples. 

After the ED rework, casters got pretty good at ST damage as well. Unless you are playing a DC build that cant nuke at all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint