Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Why did Turbine/SSG make casters so powerful? (Read 4872 times)
ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Why did Turbine/SSG make casters so powerful?
May 28th, 2022 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
They are hands down the most popular to play, far more than melee/ranged. And why not? You have insane damage, you can delete an entire pack of mobs with 1-2 hotkeys, you have access to good self healing, utility spells and instant kills.

At anything below cap, it's just awkward playing a caster in a mixed party because the melee/ranged in the party barely get to do anything. Just press 1-2 hotkeys and delete a pack of mobs. Even warlock blast takes out mobs faster than any melee/ranged build can hope to do below cap. And at cap, they still don't get to do anything outside of raids or r8-10.

Obviously, casters get way more spellpower, spell crit and damage than melee/ranged get melee/ranged power and threat range, and they don't need to worry about confirming crits or bypassing fort. But why did they decide to give casters so much power and melee/ranged so little power?

It's just silly when you have a level 10 caster running around with hundreds of spellpower and a level 10 melee/ranged has barely any (especially if they are using a pre-sharn tree). Most enhancement trees only start giving you melee/ranged power very late into the tree.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2022 at 10:53pm by ManyCookies »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Re: Why did Turbine/SSG make casters so powerful?
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2022 at 5:15am
Print Post  
It's D and D

That's just what happens

It is a fundamental problem with the ruleset

I'd say it's even deeper

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2022 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Imagine for a moment that the only thing that existed in the game was warlocks; however, you could change your blast shape at will and there were no enhancements to make one shape better than another.

How would you alter the scaling of the blast shape so that it was balanced? Obviously the player would be changing their blast shape to optimize the amount of AOE to the amount of targets.

If there is one mob then using a single target blast shape would generally be better.
If there were two mobs then using a chaining blast shape would generally be better.
If there were three mobs then cone.
If there were four or more then generally speaking you want the aura.

Which one of these scale the best as you get more damage?

Obviously the aura. And that's what we see in game. The more AOE you have the better, since it allows you to kill more mobs per second. This isn't just a problem in DDO, this is a problem in every single MMO. Furthermore, this isn't even addressing the opportunity cost of running up to mobs and hitting them. (Which takes time.)

This is a geometric scaling issue.

« Last Edit: May 29th, 2022 at 5:21am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2022 at 5:29am
Print Post  
Historically, the spear was a more heavily utilized weapon than the sword. And Alexander's long spears allowed them to dominate the Hellenistic world.

Before that Chariots dominated---due to their speed advantage---and the fact that they could bring an overwhelming asymmetry of force bearing on single points in the enemy line.

Mongol horse archers were a reincarnation of the strategic advantage of the chariot, without the disadvantage of a two man team and a heavy cart.

The advancement of gunpowder weapons reduced the efficacy of melee combat. You do still see bayonets (i.e., spears) but that has more to do with trenches and the way ranged interact with fortifications.

++++++++++

So if we draw a historical example the only way to mitigate a geometric advantage of range or AOE is to create sufficient geometric fortifications for the enemy.

You would need to give mobs in DDO real magical shields, trench-style cover, and better range---then create funnel points for player melee to become more useful.

But ask yourself as a player....

Do you really enjoy quests like Thornwright?
Do you really enjoy chokepoints?

Or would you rather feel like an AOE god?

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2022 at 5:31am
Print Post  
I think playing as an artillery piece is more strategically interesting, than playing as a soldier with a bayonet in a trench.

If you want to play a melee then you're going to need to play it like a cavalry piece.

Go monk or barbarian. Put as much movement speed as you can into the build. Play to the strengths of those classes. Get to the mobs before the AOE monkeys can. As a cavalry piece, you are the missle.

Sprint boost is required in the current pug meta. r10 quests are too easy if your group is good and that is the majority of the entertaining combat at cap.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2022 at 5:38am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2022 at 7:55am
Print Post  
If I had to make a guess, I'd say in the early years it was to sell mana pots and after that, the devs are such shitty player that they're not good enough to play anything but casters or ranged so everything else falls under the radar till some jackass on the forum shouts OP and they roll out another batch of melee nerfs.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #6 - May 29th, 2022 at 8:17am
Print Post  
This feels like an Official Forum post not a Vault post. Sorry I mean, "Your mom fucks like an Official Forum post not a Vault post."

IP Logged

Ferd
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2022 at 9:42am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on May 28th, 2022 at 10:48pm:
They are hands down the most popular to play, far more than melee/ranged.

LIES! Go look at ddoaudit.com and you'll see the 5 most popular classes are: Pally, Fighter, Rogue, Ranger and then Warlock. The myth that everyone is playing a caster and spoiling my fun boohoo are pushed on the mother board by shitty players pushing flavour templates.

Quote:
At anything below cap, it's just awkward playing a caster in a mixed party because the melee/ranged in the party barely get to do anything.

At anything below cap first toon to the mob is gonna kill it - has fuck all to do with build.

Quote:
And at cap, they still don't get to do anything outside of raids or r8-10.

Then git gud. Solid melee players can and do lead the kill count at cap.

Quote:
It's just silly when you have a level 10 caster running around with hundreds of spellpower and a level 10 melee/ranged has barely any

Right. So when you kill something all that spell power lets you kill it 11 times over! YAY! Useful!! Not.

IP Logged

Ferd
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2022 at 9:44am
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 8:17am:
This feels like an Official Forum post not a Vault post. Sorry I mean, "Your mom fucks like an Official Forum post not a Vault post."
+1

Expect this shit from Nomoreo who has no clue how to play the game. But I lurked for the longest time because people here know how to play the game. Now... holy fucking hello kitty.

IP Logged

Ferd
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2022 at 9:48am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 5:31am:
I think playing as an artillery piece is more strategically interesting, than playing as a soldier with a bayonet in a trench.

What ... the ... f ... does this have to do with a video game?!?  Huh

Quote:
r10 quests are too easy.

Should have just ended that statement right there. With the exception of raids, R10s are too easy period. One solid player can drag a bunch of pugs through pretty much any R10 if they try and contribute.

P51 fucked things up royally. I can see the argument to make low reaper easier to let folks catch up. R10 should have been made much, much harder.

If a tool like another sock is soloing r8s spamming 6sp fireballs, Houston, we have a problem  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2022 at 10:57am
Print Post  
casters are retarded op and always have been. Nothing, and I mean nothing compares for leveling and quests. The "who gets there first" reply is false. Magical projectiles and short range breath/blasts still beat the shit out of melee and ranged.

maybe a monk can ab step thru quests faster but they can't aoe packs that cannot be skipped to progress. red alert cuts off all criticals and sneak damage from melee builds, but does nothing to stop magic from criting.

Any one trying to tell you otherwise is severely coping in fear of getting casters nerfed.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #11 - May 29th, 2022 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 10:57am:
casters are retarded op and always have been. Nothing, and I mean nothing compares for leveling and quests. The "who gets there first" reply is false. Magical projectiles and short range breath/blasts still beat the shit out of melee and ranged.

maybe a monk can ab step thru quests faster but they can't aoe packs that cannot be skipped to progress. red alert cuts off all criticals and sneak damage from melee builds, but does nothing to stop magic from criting.

Any one trying to tell you otherwise is severely coping in fear of getting casters nerfed.

A thing I'd like to see is serious buffs to cleaves. Or AOEs that function better in general for melee. Like dire charge for all melees as a core in LD rather than tying it to an epic strike.

Give epic defensive fighting 10% movement speed. Then give haste (only the casted spell, not the pot) a stacking 10% movement speed for people in epic defensive fighting. Melee need free compensation to gap close. Fucking casters get wings from EA and that shit needs a 1min cooldown IMO. Only melee should have access to constant gap closing.

Reapers need to be reworked so that if they are being ranged they can turtle up and gain a large bonus to missile deflection and MRR. (Talking like 95%.) The way to remove it being to enter their range. Fear reapers are not accomplishing their target goal of pressuring ranged toons.

Reapers in general could be harder, spawn less, with a lot more types.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2022 at 11:19am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

Ferd
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 29th, 2022 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Ferd wrote on May 13th, 2022 at 8:02pm:
Game's busted for meta casters. You don't need to reduce MRR on anything but bosses. Trash just fucking melts.

casters are retarded op and always have been. Nothing, and I mean nothing compares for leveling and quests.

I largely agree with you (not sure if they were OP back when they were haste/hold bots, but ya - they're broken)

"who gets there first" reply is false. Magical projectiles and short range breath/blasts still beat the shit out of melee and ranged.

Put Dom or Gunga or a solid melee player on a barb or wolf and i think they're gonna give most casters a run for their money. Having said that, an air Sorc with wings and chain/ball lightning is going to be stupid quick - but, it's for levelling.... *shrugs*

one trying to tell you otherwise is severely coping in fear of getting casters nerfed.

I am a caster player through and through and yes, I would be bummed if they nerfed my preferred play style - see my first quote though. They are busted ...  Wink
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2022 at 12:56pm by Ferd »  

IP Logged

Ferd
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - May 29th, 2022 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 11:09am:
A thing I'd like to see is serious buffs to cleaves. Or AOEs that function better in general for melee. Like dire charge for all melees as a core in LD rather than tying it to an epic strike.

Give epic defensive fighting 10% movement speed. Then give haste (only the casted spell, not the pot) a stacking 10% movement speed for people in epic defensive fighting. Melee need free compensation to gap close. Fucking casters get wings from EA and that shit needs a 1min cooldown IMO. Only melee should have access to constant gap closing.

Reapers need to be reworked so that if they are being ranged they can turtle up and gain a large bonus to missile deflection and MRR. (Talking like 95%.) The way to remove it being to enter their range. Fear reapers are not accomplishing their target goal of pressuring ranged toons.

Those are some cool ideas.

As a druid nuker, I don't really worry about reapers (except for a fear stuck in a wall). Doom, despair, vengy - if they're in a pack they're going to get glacial'd, then tsumami'd, then breath and mopped up with ice flowers.

If you tweak reaper properties, that would be cool - give them crazy high MRR, I love your idea of having some require you to be in hand to hand range - they could do so much more with them.

ALL melee should be way faster than casters. They need it to close on a pack before MOBS get nuked for orbit, they need it for survivability - it should be a given, not a build decision (ala spring attack).

More CC would be helpful too

Not that any of this is new. Players have been making reasonable suggestions like these for years - either they fall on deaf ears or they get drowned out by people who don't know the mechanics/balance well enough...

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - May 29th, 2022 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Ferd wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 12:55pm:
I largely agree with you (not sure if they were OP back when they were haste/hold bots, but ya - they're broken)

That era where the magic damage in reaper was scaled so low, and before all the buffs to spells, was the worst for caster players. Only CC + instakills. That isn't fun for anyone if that is ALL what every caster is forced into.

Ferd wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 12:55pm:
I am a caster player through and through and yes, I would be bummed if they nerfed my preferred play style - see my first quote though. They are busted ...

Nerfing casters isn't the right way to address any of the issues otherwise they go right back to cc bots. Which is just ass. The only thing ssg does when attempting to balance is circle around a cycle that has one type ahead of the others only to be reduced back and swapped with one of the other 2 dps styles. We need more reapers, more mechanics like those suggested above by Foppy. Not this endless wheel of top dog then gone every 6 months or so...

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #15 - May 29th, 2022 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 11:09am:

I always wanted Warforged reapers.  Or some hybrid of them, reapers warforge rape babie spawn.  Or at least reapers with armor and helmets.  Helmethead reaper.  Its hard close up, deadly ranged... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #16 - May 29th, 2022 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
WTF is this turned into?

#Suggestions and ideas channel from Mainshithead discord channel?

You know the devs who lurk here like "sailas" a.k.a tinkerbell will turn this shit into "corrupt-a-wish".

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - May 30th, 2022 at 2:28am
Print Post  

Well in tabletop, casters were balanced around limited spells and only being able to cast 1 spell per 6 seconds. Fighters can full attack up to 4 times per round with a 2H weapon, or 5 times if hasted, and they arent subjected to resource limitations.

In DDO SP is rarely an issue and you can spam 1 spell per 1 second which is 6 times faster than in tabletop, while everyone else can't attack 6 times faster so it skews towards casters.

Anyway, my point was more about the design decision to make casters so ridiculously powerful. For example, when they decided to give casters tons of spellpower scaling all the way from level 1-20, why did they not decide to give melee/ranged a decent amount of melee/ranged power as well so that they would scale their damage from 1-20?

Weapons barely gain in power as you go up in level unlike the way spells do. Going from a 10d6 to 15d6 spell is 50% more damage, not even counting extra spellpower from gear. Going from a ML 10 weapon to a ML 15 weapon gives you a +1 enhancement bonus and 2d6 of weapon proc damage, which doesn't even scale with melee/ranged power.

It's just silly when I press two hotkeys to delete a pack of mobs while everyone else has to stand there and fight like a normal person. Melee/ranged barely get to do anything. Sometimes I just run past a stray mob just to give them something to do.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2022 at 3:04am by ManyCookies »  

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - May 30th, 2022 at 8:51am
Print Post  
I'm going to lose a lot of faith in this forum if somebody doesn't call somebody a cum slurping sock by page 3.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #19 - May 30th, 2022 at 11:42am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on May 30th, 2022 at 2:28am:
or 5 times if hasted

didnt haste make your character age faster?  Or am i thinking of some homebrew shit we played?

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Shroud Slacker

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #20 - May 30th, 2022 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on May 30th, 2022 at 11:42am:
didnt haste make your character age faster?  Or am i thinking of some homebrew shit we played?

In 1st Edition (and maybe 2nd Edition too?), the haste spell aged you 1 year, but it DOUBLED the number of attacks you could make during the duration of the spell.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2022 at 11:56am by Standing Stone Games »  

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - May 30th, 2022 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on May 30th, 2022 at 8:51am:
I'm going to lose a lot of faith in this forum if somebody doesn't call somebody a cum slurping sock by page 3.

You can't just fucking generalize people like that here... some of us may be cum guzzling instead of slurping. I am nothing if not efficient

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #22 - May 30th, 2022 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Rubbins is actually the spiritual manifestation of my epeen.
He's not real---only the spirit of the penis made whole.
It's a bit like the trinity.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #23 - May 30th, 2022 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Everything is epeen. And everyone loves  a good weiner battle. Dicks out for Harambe.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #24 - Jun 1st, 2022 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 3:16pm:
I always wanted Warforged reapers.  Or some hybrid of them, reapers warforge rape babie spawn.  Or at least reapers with armor and helmets.  Helmethead reaper.  Its hard close up, deadly ranged... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Hmm...super-charged Helmed Horrors popping in from time to time would be brilliant.  Reaper mode with Horror add ons lol

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint