Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Are War Hammers actually great, or am I tripping? (Read 8436 times)
iGouger
Ex Member

Are War Hammers actually great, or am I tripping?
Jun 14th, 2022 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Been kind of interested in knocking out another racial life or two (kinda got that DDO itch right now) and was looking through possible melee weapons because I only really play Melee. Came across War Hammers after stumbling across the Knight's Training Feat. I've never used it, but per the description, it seems really powerful with War Hammers in particular

In theory, here's what grabbed my attention:

• 18-20 x3 with Knight's Training. That +2 morale bonus to threat is eye-catching. Morale stacks with everything else. War Hammers benefit the most from Knight's Training; other weapons are only brought to 19-20 x3, or 18-20 x2.
  • 17-20 x3 with Improved Critical (did I do this right? I thought Improved Crit just adds +1 b/c of the base threat range, but idk how it interacts with Knight's Training. Is it more? If so, even better)
  • 16-20 x4 with Occult Slayer's competence T5 enhancement
  • 16-18 x4, 19-20 x5 with Occult Slayer's +1 multiplier

Seems to me that Knight's Training makes War Hammers an incredibly powerful option. I'm thinking you could probably do Kensei or Tempest (16-20 x4, just like Khopesh), or FB (17-20 x5) instead of Occult Slayer, for different tradeoffs. Warpriest can work too I guess b/c of favored weapon, but you miss out on the crit stuff; Occult is probably better at doing the self-healing DPS thing anyway.

Another minor thing is Dwarf gets enhancements for +damage/hit with War Hammers.

Looking at specific weapons, I noticed Nightforge Hammer (ML 8) has a +1 to multiplier

Echo of Whelm is a similar story, ML 9 w/+1 to multiplier on 19-20 and 1 more augment slot + some other DPS enhancements compared to Nightforge. Strictly worse crit multiplier on 16-18, but the other goodies probably make up for it

Personally I would only take this to level 20 and racial reincarnate because I prefer the heroic grind to the epic one. But epics also have the level 28 Whelm, plus that level 23 CITW war hammer that has an 18-20 x3 base range (should be 14-18 x4, 19-20 x6). They don't seem too shabby. But I'm not very familiar with the epic game these days, so what do I know?

I was also looking up critical ranges/multipliers for other weapons that nobody talks about, like Sickles/Kamas/Quarterstaves (Swords to Plowshares), but the result was... not pretty. Nowhere near as good as Warhammers. Or Handaxes/Light Picks for that matter, but those two are only really good with a specific build of Swashbuckling Frenzied Berserker, and I see people talk about them all the time

Warhammers, to me, seem rather powerful, so I was wondering why more people don't talk about them. Is it just because they're melee, and melee in general kinda sucks? What are generally considered the best melee weapons right now, anyway?
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2022 at 1:49pm by »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Re: Are War Hammers actually great, or am I tripping?
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2022 at 10:26am
Print Post  
AOE > Crit Multi and sustained damage, in heroics.

For that reason THF is just going to be faster, and a barbarian is the fastest thing to level. Monk takes longer to pick up speed, whereas Barb gets 150 temp hp and supreme cleave right out the gate.

But for real, do whatever you want in heroics.

The fastest thing in heroics is a barbarian with elemental bloom up to about level 8, and then from level 8 a fire sorc.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2022 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Quote:
Personally I would only take this to level 20 and racial reincarnate because I prefer the heroic grind to the epic one. But epics also have the level 28 Whelm, plus that level 23 CITW war hammer that has an 18-20 x3 base range (should be 14-18 x4, 19-20 x6). They don't seem too shabby. But I'm not very familiar with the epic game these days, so what do I know?

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

MFW when motherfuckers talk about levelling Heroics like they're designing R10 cap builds.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2022 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jun 15th, 2022 at 10:57am:
MFW when motherfuckers talk about levelling Heroics like they're designing R10 cap builds.

Well excuuuse me for not obsessively playing the game 24/7 365 days a year, I'm just spouting off ideas as they seem good, and fully admit that I know almost nothing about epics these days lol

WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jun 15th, 2022 at 10:26am:
AOE > Crit Multi and sustained damage, in heroics.

For that reason THF is just going to be faster, and a barbarian is the fastest thing to level. Monk takes longer to pick up speed, whereas Barb gets 150 temp hp and supreme cleave right out the gate.

Yeah that makes sense. I've always thought Carnifex was a really powerful option; SoS too for obvious reasons. Was unaware of Elemental Bloom... that DOES look really good. Swords to Plowshares + Improved Crit + Thief Acrobat/Henshin/Kensei/Occult = 15-20 x4 if I'm not mistaken.

But then again, SoS w/Improved Crit + Occult = 14-20 x4. Wouldn't SoS be better?

Personally I prefer SWF/TWF, which is why I was looking at one-handed weapons. SWF is my favorite: I like attack speed. It might be suboptimal when compared to THF, but I don't usually blaze through heroics as quickly as possible, I just play the game to have fun and try different build options.

Longswords also look pretty damn good. Nightforge Avenger in particular can get to 14-20 x4, essentially having the same crit profile as SoS, but without the necessary raid grind. I'm leaning towards using that because of how easy it is to get. And just like SoS, it's rather fungible: can be used with Elves, favored weapons (sovereign host), Paladins, Fighters, Barbs, Rangers, etc.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2022 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
The paralyze on Bloom really helps with reapers. Famines (with their fucking flamestrikes) are the most dangerous thing in heroics. Also has an aug for ghost touch.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2022 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Ah, I see how that could be helpful. I assumed Paralyze has a shitty DC so it wouldn't be too much of a help.

Thinking about it, I'm also guessing that Quarterstaves can be helpful in that you can either Abundant Step with monks or Vault with Thief Acrobat. I could see how that is a preferable mode of transportation when rushing through heroics.

For Ghost Touch, I usually have something equipped: there's that level 3 trinket from the Gatekeepers' adventure pack, and then at level 9, there's the Cloak of Invisibility from Tempest Spine that I like to wear from 9-20. Gives 10% incorp too, which is always helpful.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2022 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
I like the animations on TWF better than THF. If you like melees a dual warhammer build is a lot of fun. Get a pair of cosmetic Earthshatter Warhammers and enjoy the show.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2022 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Yeah I'm in the same boat. For me, SWF > TWF > THF. I like attack speed and hate lugging a huge-ass sword around; I'm not Guts from Berserk or someone like that.

TWF warhammer sounds pretty good. But I'm also thinking I can make SWF work, too.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2022 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2022 at 7:48pm by Snu Snu »  

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2022 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jun 15th, 2022 at 10:26am:
elemental bloom up to about level 8, a

Huh. That is a nice option. I've never really paid attention to that. I might want to grab one.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2022 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah I'm in the same boat. For me, SWF > TWF > THF. I like attack speed and hate lugging a huge-ass sword around; I'm not Guts from Berserk or someone like that.

TWF warhammer sounds pretty good. But I'm also thinking I can make SWF work, too.

I've not tried SWF on a warhammer build but I do have a guy who does warhamer & tower shield. He does ok, thats the "Toxic Fartcloud" build which I really need to revisit. Might actually work better as KT/SWF. I don't think you can swashbuckle with a warhammer but there are possibly fun options.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2022 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Quote:
Training; other weapons are only brought to 19-20 x3, or 18-20 x2.
  • 17-20 x3 with Improved Critical (did I do this right? I thought Improved Crit just adds +1 b/c of the base threat range, but idk how it interacts with Knight's Training. Is it more? If so, even better)
  • 16-20 x4 with Occult Slayer's competence T5 enhancement
  • 16-18 x4, 19-20 x5 with Occult Slayer's +1 multiplier

• Check out bard/barb split with handaxes for crits Smiley

IP Logged

iGouger
    Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 11:25am
    Print Post  
    Yeah, I acknowledged Handaxes in my original post. I hear that option talked about more often. The problem is that for heroics, I'd need a specific weapon which is a bitch to farm: Forgotten Axe from Black and Blue. I HATE farming end chests, especially for long-ish quests like that one. These days, I just wanna slap together a build and play it.

For crit profile, wouldn't a vanilla handaxe be 17-20 x5 with Swashbuckler + Frenzied Berserker?

20 x3 base
    18-20 x3 swashbuckler
    17-20 x3 improved crit (it only affects the base critical profile of the weapon, last time I checked)
    17-20 x5 frenzied berserker

I'm not sure if that would end up being better than Warhammers. Especially Nightforge. I realized a Ravager/Kensei split can end up getting it to 15-20 x4, which I think should be higher damage than 17-20 x5. The way I figure: 15-20 is 30% of the time and you're doing 400% damage each crit, so on average that's (4.0 * 0.3) = an average of 120% extra damage per strike; compared to 17-20 x5 (5.0 x 0.2) = an average of 100% extra damage per strike. I think that math should work, unless I'm being dense and missing something here.

For that matter, the Nightforge Longsword looks pretty good too... 17-20 x2 at base, 17-20 x3 Knight's Training, 15-20 x3 Improved Critical... from there, you can get 15-20 x5 with Frenzied Berserker, or do a Kensei/Ravager split for 13-20 x4. Both profiles look really good. I might have to a longsword build someday.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
    Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 12:13pm
    Print Post  
    Quote:
    For crit profile, wouldn't a vanilla handaxe be 17-20 x5 with Swashbuckler + Frenzied Berserker?

No Improved Crit doubles the effectiveness of Swash so ends up being
    15-20x5 vanilla
    15-20x6 Litany
    14-20x5 Forgotten

Theres also Foresters Brush Hook
    18-20x3 Base
    16-20x4 Swash
    15-20x4 Imp Crit
    13-20x4 Imp Crit (Swash delta)
    13-20x5 FB (Delta)
    12-20x5 StP

IP Logged

iGouger
    Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 6:08pm
    Print Post  
    Ohh, that's nuts! ...Dare I ask if that's working as intended? My impression is Improved Critical was supposed to double the base threat range of a weapon. And because Swashbuckling counts as a Competence bonus, it wouldn't double the base range, and would merely be appended to the final range. I know that Kensei, which is ALSO Competence, does NOT get doubled... goddamn Turbine and all these weirdly stacking mechanics. How the fuck am I supposed to keep track of what stacks with what? But okay, this changes everything since Swashbuckling is treated as base threat

I feel daggers would also be pretty powerful if Swashbuckling applies to them like Handaxes. There are some good options, which could be boosted further if you have spare points for Vistani:

Assassin's Kiss (I have this) or Sky Pirate's Dagger 19-20 x3 base
    18-20 x4 swashbuckler
    15-20 x4 improved crit
    15-20 x5 frenzied berserker

Nightforge Stiletto 17-20 x2 base
    16-20 x3 swashbuckler
    13-20 x3 improved crit
    13-20 x4 frenzied berserker

ML 6 Sickle of Sypheros could be fun too... I do run Sorrowdusk often: 18-20 x2 base
    16-20 x3 swashbuckler
    13-20 x3 improved crit
    13-20 x4 frenzied berserker
    12-20 x4 swords to plowshares

Obviously none of these are as good as Brush Hook or Forgotten Axe, but I'm not keen on Brush Hook b/c of the ML 15 (can't use it for 3/4 of heroics) and Forgotten Axe being a bitch to farm

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
    Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2022 at 4:21am
    Print Post  
    it is working as intended the whole point of Swash is to standardise all profiles to 15-20x3 (with improved crit) what makes HA so good is only range is added so fully stacks with FB. Rapier and Kukri are also pretty good with Enhancements that add range

Quote:
    Emphasis False. Having built Swashbuckling, we knew how it worked before players even saw it. The intent you're quoting came from us in the first place.

Swashbuckling is intended to bring the base profiles of Swashbuckle-able weapons even, so there's equalized incentive to use those weapons. Named weapons with improved profiles are obviously going to be exceptions to that. Swashbucklers are highly crit-based in general, so it makes sense that they would want to favor weapons with better crit chance or multiplier. That said, there are a lot of builds that use different sorts of weapons. "the one with the best crit profile" isn't going to be the right fit for every single Swashbuckler. This was true before the changes, and it's still true now.

Quote:
    1- "Improved Critical now adds 1, 2, or 3 to critical threat ranged based on the weapon type's unmodified threat range."

2- "Keen now adds 1, 2, or 3 to critical threat range based on the weapon type's unmodified threat range."

3- "Several named items that have larger than normal critical threat ranges have had their ranges expanded, similar to the range they had when the Improved Critical feat erroneously doubled their threat range modifier."

4- "Swashbuckling now grants double the range bonus if you have the relevant Improved Critical feat."

For best weapons crit profile is only part of the equation you also need to consider +W and damage dice what makes Sky Pirates an exceptional weapon is its 1d6 compared to 1d4 of most daggers which makes it relevant for the whole of heroics.
    « Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2022 at 4:39am by Justanotherlurker »  

IP Logged

iGouger
    Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 21st, 2022 at 11:18am
    Print Post  
    I do actually agree with the intent of it, and making more weapons viable.

The problem is, last time I checked, Swashbuckling crit bonuses were typed as Competence, which is extremely misleading.

IP Logged

Toke
    Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
    smoking something.

Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2022 at 1:17pm
    Print Post  
    If only they would make a battlerager dwarf iconic. Dual wielding warhammers with some racial tree support would be delish.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
    Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2022 at 2:45pm
    Print Post  
    Toke wrote on Jun 21st, 2022 at 1:17pm:
    If only they would make a battlerager dwarf iconic. Dual wielding warhammers with some racial tree support would be delish.

Indeed.

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
    IP Logged

kum-gulp
    VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #19 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 9:28am
    Print Post  
    I built around Forester's Brush Hook once for the fun crits. Found it pretty boring. Depends how you like to play but I found wielding the one weapon most of the time really monotonous. It's fun to watch a while but soon wears thin. I do stuff like that on Lam these days.

IP Logged

blegh
    Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 10:44am
    Print Post  
    When MOTU just hit I played a TWF Warhammer cleric, later upgraded to a dwarf pala and finally to a horc barb/kensai. Initially dual wielding Morhns, in the end Morhn + Thunderforged hammer.

Incredibly fun. There is just something about smashing stuff with a hammer that never gets old. You just look bad-ass with 2 hammers, not like some whimpy JRPG-throwaway with an oversized sword. Plus, at that time Morhn and TF were considered awesome in damage profile.

But, yeah, since then the developers have showed a clear love in throwing hordes of enemies in your face. Clearing times are going to be lower than THF just because you have to fight one-on-one, excluding the occasional Cleave. For boss fights, you are however going to blow THF out of the water.

Note that I recently also played a TWF longsword elf. Don't, just don't. Without Swashbuckling goodies, crits can only take you so far, in the end a crit still only multiplies base damage and when that base damage is low ...

IP Logged

iGouger
    Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 12:03pm
    Print Post  
    blegh wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 10:44am:
    But, yeah, since then the developers have showed a clear love in throwing hordes of enemies in your face. Clearing times are going to be lower than THF just because you have to fight one-on-one, excluding the occasional Cleave. For boss fights, you are however going to blow THF out of the water.

Yep, I really am not a fan of the way melee is balanced in DDO. Especially in newer packs, where you're just thrown huge waves of enemies. Still love SWF though. And I don't care if it's suboptimal, at least it's viable in heroics, which is all I play.

In Heroics, SWF does still have good options for AoE damage. Fighters can use their extra feats for Cleave + Great Cleave. Paladins have free cleaves from KoTC. Barbarians get Supreme Cleave on a fantastic 3 sec cooldown. EK has up to 2 cleaves. Swashbuckler En Point has strikethrough. Not sure how well they hold up in epics, but the funny thing is for heroics, even if I'm using SWF, I can usually clear out mobs faster than my THF party members. And if I'm wielding a ToEE item, it's even faster.

I'm pretty sure Swashbuckler doesn't apply to Longsword. But the profile could still be quite hefty w/Knight's Training

19-20 x2 base
    19-20 x3 knight's training
    17-20 x3 improved critical
    15-20 x3 nightforge avenger
    15-20 x5 frenzied berserker or
    13-20 x4 ravager + kensei mix

It's weird because I crafted my GS scimitars back when they were objectively better than Longswords (18-20 x2), but with the advent of Knight's Training, I may have to work on crafting more Longswords.

I enjoy having these different weapons to try out for different racial lives. And for all my distrust of Turbine's decisions, the core game is still just as good as it was when I started playing this game, 12 years ago.
    « Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2022 at 12:07pm by »  

IP Logged

noamineo
    Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
    time fears the pyramids

Reply #22 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 3:44pm
    Print Post  
    Quote:
    19-20 x2 base
    19-20 x3 knight's training
    17-20 x3 improved critical
    15-20 x3 nightforge avenger
    15-20 x5 frenzied berserker or
    13-20 x4 ravager + kensei mix

What would the level split for this be? Looks like bard/barb/fighter but in what order?

IP Logged

iGouger
    Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jul 6th, 2022 at 11:38am
    Print Post  
    Since I know almost nothing about the current epic game, I would mainly engineer that build for heroics, taking advantage of relatively powerful weaponry at level, and crafting a level split to give you powerful enhancements as early as possible

Longsword can't be swashbuckled, so I would eschew any Barb levels. Instead, I would go 2 rogue because Evasion is incredibly useful at all levels in heroics: with enough dex (+3 rogue PLs) you can effectively avoid 95% of spell damage, rush through traps, and/or disable them if you desire for +30% extra exp. Plus you gain access to UMD, which in turn gives you access to Tenser's, Fire Shield, Res, Heal, and other nifty goodies. Rogue levels also make you very desirable in groups, since everyone loves a good trap monkey.

Split would be something like:

1 rogue: take SWF. I always take 1 rogue for early access to thieving skills
    2 barbarian. Fast movement + martial proficiencies help out for Korthos/Borderlands/Harbor etc
    3 barbarian: take Power Attack. This is an important benchmark because now we have access to Blood Tribute, which makes you viable for reaper mode
    4 fighter: take Cleave. SWF is garbage at AoE, so this helps cover that weakness
    5 rogue for evasion
    6 barbarian: take Great Cleave
    7 fighter: take ISWF. This is the earliest we can possibly get it, given that we have 2 rogue levels
    8 fighter
    9 fighter: take Improved Critical and Knight's Training. At this point, your Nightforge Avenger Blade will be 15-20 x3
    10 barbarian (uncanny dodge, yay)
    11 fighter
    12 barbarian: take GSWF. We now have 5 barb levels, which unlocks T5 ravager enhancements. Nightforge Avenger is now 13-20 x3
    13 fighter: take Offhand Versatility for +.25 stat scaling. We now have 6 fighter levels, which unlocks Kensei Core 3, so Nightforge Avenger is now 13-20 x4. At this point, we should ALMOST have enough AP for everything: 8 AP in Frenzied Berserker for Blood Tribute, 34 AP in Ravager for self-heal and +2 crit range, 11 AP in Kensei for +1 crit multiplier
    14-20 is a tossup. Take extra Barb levels if you want Improved Uncanny Dodge at level 17; take extra fighter levels if you want access to those Weapon Focus feats

By the time you are level 13, you'd basically have everything you need. From there, some other feats to consider are Stunning Blow, Completionist, and Toughness. I am personally not a huge fan of Stunning blow on SWF because of no strikethrough, and because SWF tends to kill shit so quickly anyway. But it can certainly help with orange mobs/monster champions.

IP Logged

noamineo
    Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
    time fears the pyramids

Reply #24 - Jul 6th, 2022 at 11:54am
    Print Post  
    Ok, this certainly looks interesting. I've been wanting a new deep-splash melee alt to fuck around with and I may give this a whirl. He'll have +8 tomes and maybe 6-9 PLs. Currently thinking this is what my ice bard will become since he's kind of useless as an ice bard. Gonna TR into that in a few days(will be 36pt w/ +8 tomes) and see how it feels.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
    Send TopicPrint