Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Update 55 Release Notes (Read 9093 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Update 55 Release Notes
Reply #25 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Jun 23rd, 2022 at 1:55pm:
They live to take away our fun.

Apparently after you hit 7500 kills, this happened:

https://i.imgur.com/gWgaaXE.png

Hot damn. Seems like that should have been caught with the most rudimentary of QA.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #26 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 23rd, 2022 at 2:14pm:
Hot damn. Seems like that should have been caught with the most rudimentary of QA.

You mean the lead sound guy who doubles as the head of quality assurance?  What could possibly go wrong!

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #27 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Jun 23rd, 2022 at 2:28pm:
You mean the lead sound guy who doubles as the head of quality assurance?  What could possibly go wrong!

Lol this is true.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #28 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Turbine has a knack for releasing rushed content that isn't tested

I guess it was thoroughly tested... but not in the way they intended.
And then the test results were used in some kind or another.

honestly, that's something I saw in Telecom... we used to test new software releases for at least 6 months, with each and every path in the code being tested ( been there writing test instruction, done that using test instructions written by others to test a very specific function in a public exchange software )
Nowadays the software is just rolled out after a few days of basic testing ( make sure phone calls works )... If there's a network breaking issue, there's the rollback procedure ( that's the only thing that's still thoroughly tested... because it's used on a semi regular basis when shit hit the fan. ).

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Jun 23rd, 2022 at 1:55pm:
They live to take away our fun.

Apparently after you hit 7500 kills, this happened:

If that's the reason they closed it, then I'll echo what others said: yeah, that really should've been fixed with some rudimentary testing

What also gets me is how Turbine's default response to criticism and complaints is to just lock threads (as we saw). Is it too hard to outsource a few guys from India to occasionally post on the forums "we understand your frustration and are doing the needful to get fixed?" I guess basic customer service is too difficult for Turbine. I've seen 15-year old kids working at Wendys who have a better grasp of customer service than Cordo and friends do.

The problem is that a lot of players continue to brownnose and support Turbine's assfuckery. I don't understand why anyone would buy the expansion if they are familiar with Turbine's track record.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #30 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I've seen 15-year old kids working at Wendys who have a better grasp of customer service than Cordo and friends do.

Those 15 year old kids get paid better than cordo, too.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #31 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Did someone get 7500 explorer kills on day one? That's impressive. Or did they see this on llama.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jun 23rd, 2022 at 6:58pm:
Did someone get 7500 explorer kills on day one? That's impressive. Or did they see this on llama.

if you had a group of 6 people out there an 200% slayer pot, i imagine you could to 7500 in about an hour like in the orchard.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
They have so many things to test (and I'm not defending them), but if I were doing QA for this game being understaffed, then testing "What happens if I have maxed my slayers in the new area then kill something else?" would not be high on the things to test.
They have had this mechanic for years.  An understaffed QA team is not going to think to test that.  Maybe it is in a test plan somewhere, but I doubt there would be time to get that far in the plan.

Quit bitching about "a good QA team would have caught this".  They don't have the staffing to do every iteration of every thing in this damned 16 year old game.

Speaking as a QA guy, not has an apologist for SSG.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I'm also in QA and I will say that our job is to ensure that things like this don't happen. The job is to aim for the highest "quality" and to approach EVERYTHING from the angle that "this could be broken; let's see how I can break it." That is what I am being paid to do. I bet I would have a field day if I worked for Turbine (which I have no desire to do, obviously).

It doesn't matter if a module or a mechanic has existed for years. When a function is configurable and being implemented onto a new module, it's proper to do some new testing to ensure it works as intended. Little things get broken all the time - even if we've implemented them hundreds of times in the past.

For example, email alerts. It doesn't matter if we've had 200 clients in the past who used email alerts with our software; email alerts are in our test case, so we spend time testing email alerts for every function just incase something got broken in development. And often they do. That's why my department exists.

Wilderness explorers are a similar thing. It shouldn't take very long to test, especially if you give yourself slayer boosts in the dev environment + have other people to test with.

Of course, if Turbine is understaffed, then it makes sense that shit like this is happening and breaking. It probably speaks to how poorly-run the company is if they routinely end up with game-breaking issues like this

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #35 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm also in QA and I will say that our job is to ensure that things like this don't happen.

A QA engineer walks into a bar.

He orders a beer.
He orders 1 beer.
He orders one beer.
He orders 9 beers.
He orders 9,000 beers.
He orders 9,001 beers.
He orders H beers.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Some other things to consider:

1) It's not like "get 7500 kills" is a standalone task. You test it, and on the way to that goal, you are also testing many intermediary functions. While getting those kills, you are also exploring the isle to ensure everything else is moving smoothly. Rares, explorers, etc. You do basic testing of functionality, and the 7500 kills will be an afterthought.

2) If you have several people in your party running around doing S/R/E with you, then you have multiple QA testers all testing the same stuff. Multiple rounds of testing to ensure good quality. Doing a comprehensive 7500 kill w/slayer pots with rares/explorers shouldn't even take too long anyway.

3) Really - if you have a Slayer pot running (which should be the case if you're testing in the dev environment), then I find it HIGHLY unlikely that you DON'T get to 7501 kills on accident. More likely it was just not tested at all.

4) It's not like Turbine was hard-pressed to get the deliverables to the clients by a certain date. I would hazard to guess that the majority of DDO players would've gladly waited longer for the expansion, if it meant that the expansion was working fine.

With many other industries/companies, the companies are beholden to the clients because the clients need something urgently. But that's not really the case with MMOs. Instead, turbine sets the release date and then flails around, trying in vain to get the deliverables to the client by that release date.

In other words: if they are so understaffed and can't get shit done (as they have a proven track record of in the past), then they should not be setting their deadlines so stringent. Yet, it's a repeated pattern of behavior for them at this point. I don't really blame the QA department so much as I blame the company as a whole. I doubt there's much that a 10/10 QA department could really do for a company like Turbine.

You also see other hilarious basic failures, like their domain running out the other day, lol. It's just a horribly-run company, but as is the case here, I'm preaching to the choir

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:32pm by »  

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #37 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
erver Downtime: 7:30 PM Eastern - 9:30 PM Eastern

The DDO game worlds are being brought down for a hotfix to re-open the Isle of Dread landscape. Thank you for your patience.

that was fast

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #38 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Frankly just leaving Lamania up for a couple of weeks instead of mere days would have caught this. That's kind of the problem: SSG seems to think having Lama up for any longer than absolutely necessary is BAD because players are playing for free or whatever. Using your playerbase as QA is normal for MMOs. SSG is just doing it wrong.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #39 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:43pm:
erver Downtime: 7:30 PM Eastern - 9:30 PM Eastern

The DDO game worlds are being brought down for a hotfix to re-open the Isle of Dread landscape. Thank you for your patience.

that was fast

Almost as fast as when they nerfed horses.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Some other things to consider:

1) It's not like "get 7500 kills" is a standalone task. You test it, and on the way to that goal, you are also testing many intermediary functions. While getting those kills, you are also exploring the isle to ensure everything else is moving smoothly. Rares, explorers, etc. You do basic testing of functionality, and the 7500 kills will be an afterthought.

2) If you have several people in your party running around doing S/R/E with you, then you have multiple QA testers all testing the same stuff. Multiple rounds of testing to ensure good quality. Doing a comprehensive 7500 kill w/slayer pots with rares/explorers shouldn't even take too long anyway.

3) Really - if you have a Slayer pot running (which should be the case if you're testing in the dev environment), then I find it HIGHLY unlikely that you DON'T get to 7501 kills on accident. More likely it was just not tested at all.

4) It's not like Turbine was hard-pressed to get the deliverables to the clients by a certain date. I would hazard to guess that the majority of DDO players would've gladly waited longer for the expansion, if it meant that the expansion was working fine.

With many other industries/companies, the companies are beholden to the clients because the clients need something urgently. But that's not really the case with MMOs. Instead, turbine sets the release date and then flails around, trying in vain to get the deliverables to the client by that release date.

In other words: if they are so understaffed and can't get shit done (as they have a proven track record of in the past), then they should not be setting their deadlines so stringent. Yet, it's a repeated pattern of behavior for them at this point. I don't really blame the QA department so much as I blame the company as a whole. I doubt there's much that a 10/10 QA department could really do for a company like Turbine.

You also see other hilarious basic failures, like their domain running out the other day, lol. It's just a horribly-run company, but as is the case here, I'm preaching to the choir

that's all good in hindsight, once you have seen this bug, you can easily reverse engineer an easy test and say "well why didn't they do this".

But they don't have enough time and resources, to do all that.
Yeah, as a QA guy, I wouldn't be satisfied without testing everything.
But as a company that makes financial decisions, if you let QA guys like me and you have the deciding factor on when to "ship something" it would never ship.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Quote:
But they don't have enough time and resources, to do all that.

Then they shouldn't be rushing out expansions in ~9 months because they are fixated on the money. Spend at least a year, or 1.5 years like the amount of time they spent on Ravenloft and Sharn. Deliver a high quality product to your playerbase.

Put up the test server for longer, players will test your game for FREE.

Its really not rocket science.

IIRC DDO does make a substantial amount of profit each year so maybe they should use some of that to hire more staff if they are so short handed? Operating expenses does not even come close to accounting for most of that money unless they are giving themselves massive bonuses or something.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 10:36am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:49pm:
that's all good in hindsight, once you have seen this bug, you can easily reverse engineer an easy test and say "well why didn't they do this".

Incorrect. QA would have caught this bug. Unfortunately SSG do not have QA testers. Devs do their own testing and its never adequate.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2022 at 10:38am by Justanotherlurker »  

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 11:50am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 10:33am:
Then they shouldn't be rushing out expansions in ~9 months because they are fixated on the money. Spend at least a year, or 1.5 years like the amount of time they spent on Ravenloft and Sharn. Deliver a high quality product to your playerbase.

Yeah that's how I feel, too. Like I mentioned earlier, it's not like Turbine has clients who are lined up and demand their deliverables by a certain deadline. I can't imagine there's a single DDO player who says "I WANT MY EXPANSION NAO!!!" My feeling was always that players would rather wait a few weeks for an announced expansion to drop, as long as it's a quality product.

bob the builder wrote on Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:49pm:

The thing is, I don't really feel this bug would've been that hard to pick up. Let's assume you have a few guys running around in Isle of Dread testing stuff. Let's say we're understaffed and we have a party of 4.

1. Everyone joins a party then pops a slayer pot.

2. Everyone runs around getting slayers, tests a segment of the map for rares/explorers etc. Everyone will note any issues with rares or explorers; these things should definitely be tested as they are the finalized deliverables. Recall once everyone's finished their section.

3. Now, rotate stations. Tester B goes to the section that Tester A did originally, etc. This way, you get more Slayers, plus you get additional rounds of testing for each segment of the map. Maybe Tester B will find an issue with a rare encounter which Tester A did not. Maybe Tester C finds an environmental clipping issue which Tester B did not. This is why multiple rounds of testing is always helpful.

I would imagine this process would not take too long. Probably an hour, two hours at most to test out the entire wilderness area. And during this testing, you're getting a LOT of slayer kills, provided you have a slayer pot (which you should have in the dev environment). Also, for testing purposes, I would imagine the software engineers should create an "uber slayer count potion" that makes slayers that much easier. I don't think 7500 slayers with a party of 4 would take longer than 2 hours. 2 hours x 4 QA testers = 8 billable hours total, which is nothing.

With a slayer pot and multiple testers in the dev environment, I would be very surprised if testing stopped at 7500. It's almost guaranteed that you'll exceed 7500. At which point the bug would've become obvious.

And yes, like ManyCookies mentioned: players probably would've tested the functionality for free, too. My only guess is that the wilderness area really wasn't tested at all, or the testers were too rushed for time. I wouldn't necessarily blame the QA department because they don't call the shots; it just reeks of poor judgment on whoever is managing the development/testing and/or the dev -> live pipeline.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2022 at 11:53am by »  

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 10:33am:

Put up the test server for longer, players will test your game for FREE.

Its really not rocket science.

IIRC DDO does make a substantial amount of profit each year so maybe they should use some of that to hire more staff if they are so short handed? Operating expenses does not even come close to accounting for most of that money unless they are giving themselves massive bonuses or something.

They aren't Blizzard or Steam... they have to make payroll... so yes they have to deliver on time.

Look, I'm not defending them... I just see the reality of what they are faced with.  They can't take another 9 months to release this.

Try to have some perspective outside of just trying to be an angry customer.

Either accept what they are make your decisions based on that.

They are what they are... continuing to bitch constantly because they didn't reach some level of perfection of zero bugs with a 16 year old game engine is just silly.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 10:36am:
Incorrect. QA would have caught this bug. Unfortunately SSG do not have QA testers. Devs do their own testing and its never adequate.

Did you not read what I said?
fuck, i think most of you are very high on the spectrum.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 10:14am
Print Post  
I'm not a QA guy, but develop software for a living.

And just from a "make sure the shit I wrote works" perspective, you do some testing, especially testing the edges.

The fact the "woops, level 30 quests dont give legendary xp" bug got in there ........if I had ANY faith in these clowns ability, it would have been lost. Such a fundamental edge case test, which leads me to think they do ZERO testing at all.

It compiles.......SHIP IT!

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 11:21am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 1:59pm:

Well, of course all of us are. Why else do you think we post on the vault play DDO? Cheesy

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 1:59pm:
Did you not read what I said?

Of course I read it. Your post showed a real lack of understanding how real QA testing works and how thankful we are that we don’t have to do it ourselves (it’s the most boring thankless task you can imagine).

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Bob just shut the fuck up. Really.
There is no excuse for the shit show that ddo has CONSISTENTLY been for the past 12 years.
They lack even the most basic of testing. More importantly.
They work on shit no one - and I mean literally not a fucking single person in the whole goddamn world - told them to work on, and then proceed to get pissed when people tell them how fucking moronic steelstar & Co are.

From any standpoint you take, even that of a single dev doing the work of 200 employees, this shit wouldn't fly.
There's literally one company world wide where this behaviour is exhibited, and that's Turdbine.
Even the fucktards that make Elite Dangerous have more fucking respect for their own work and test things before release (Though they do rival turdbine in sheer stupidity).

Re lamma going down.
They don't keep it up longer because they risk having people find *all* the bugs / exploits.
You can chain test builds, get any piece of gear (with a Lil digging) and find what is truly overpowered to build into.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint