Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic So, how is the Isle of Dread? (Read 7751 times)
blegh
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

So, how is the Isle of Dread?
Jun 24th, 2022 at 11:39am
Print Post  
For the 3 peeps who care, how bad is it? I'm not expecting anything so won't be disappointed.

On the motherboards I've seen an unusual low number of the usual suck-up posts with compliments. I saw 2 guys basically saying that the explorer zone is fun and beautiful. Negative points are an abundance of invisible walls and lack of fast travel options.

I couldn't find anything on the quests, the XP and the difficulty. How's the monster placement: are we again looking at massive sacks of HP put up in nicely copy-pasted groups of 8 each 25 feet apart?

Let the bashing commence.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Re: So, how is the Isle of Dread?
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I played around half of them last night. Seemed cool to me. <shrug>

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
I've run the quests 3 times on r10 so far. I really like them. None of them are too annoying, they're pretty straightforward. Some of the bosses/champs can smack. Overall it's pretty great. I like it .

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Only run them on heroic so far, some of them felt a bit generic but overall a good variety of quests. I don't think any took much over 10 mins even on a first play through with me looking for optionals.

I liked the pen and paper module feel and having new enemies for a change. Also worth mentioning are optionals - rarely take more than a short time out of your way and the chests aren't pointless as they drop the new named augments, I got two.

No big bags of hp's on heroic, felt a bit too easy if anything. Some of the quests had better premise than execution, the "chase the T-rex through a maze" had no maze, and on a 2nd run through knowing where to go took under two minutes.

Overall glad I bought it, Saltmarsh did nothing for me and this feels more Keep on the Borderlands. It'll be a pleasant run every life.

Big ladder to get up to the quest givers though? Fuck them for that, plain annoying and I can only guess it's to make you wish you'd bought the pack with the teleport clicky thing.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 1:02pm:
I've run the quests 3 times on r10 so far. I really like them. None of them are too annoying, they're pretty straightforward. Some of the bosses/champs can smack. Overall it's pretty great. I like it .

I pugged r10s last night. Was a little messy, but ok.

Curious how you felt r10 was tuned in terms of DCs (if applicable) and/or how hard mobs hit melee.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 3:18pm:
I pugged r10s last night. Was a little messy, but ok.

Curious how you felt r10 was tuned in terms of DCs (if applicable) and/or how hard mobs hit melee.

Honestly, it felt a bit easy, but we were running ranged and casters. Aside from the odd 10k one shit, we breezed through it.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 5:19pm:
Honestly, it felt a bit easy, but we were running ranged and casters. Aside from the odd 10k one shit, we breezed through it.

That's kinda what I thought. Was your toon legendary capped at the time?

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 6:30pm:
That's kinda what I thought. Was your toon legendary capped at the time?

I got one capped running it twice, so no.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
I feel like it's terrible that you're able to pug R10 and go through it easily first time. After the stat shrink update, everything seems too easy. Pugs are easily doing R6+ in epics. SSG needs to streamline the difficulty a bit more.

Unfortunately, I don't have a really good solution as to how to increase the difficulty. One suggestion could be, have a set of buffs from aid to resist energy to + to saves to more hp to deathward, etc. For each skull, have the each mob get a random buff from the buff set. So on R3, one mob could have lightning resist x, +5% damage and true seeing, while another mob could have deathward, 5% dodge and spell resist X.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Not you and meathead specifically, but how SSG set the difficulty. The 2 extra levels will make things even easier there, and in all epics, and also stretch the BB ranges a little bit.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2022 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Run the last quest without removing curses and that's all the extra difficulty you'll need. Or, go full party of casters no healer. Or, go five melees one healer.

There will be cakes.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
I've ran it some, its ok. I pugged a few quests on R10 and did fine for a guy with 24 reaper points. Did some slayers, rares spawn pretty well. I really fuckin hate that SSG ignored the constant stream of player feedback saying "the quest teleporters in RL were the best! Please do that in all expansions going forward!". Makes me angry.

Having to walk to quests aside, I guess the best thing I can say about IoD is that its so ok, its average.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Pugs are easily doing R6+ in epics. SSG needs to streamline the difficulty a bit more.

Thats because most of the pugs these days are veterans with reaper wings running meta caster builds and they are loaded with the perfect raid gear and filis.

I once pugged r6 sharn with a party of 5, two of whom were underleveled (they insisted they could handle it) and everyone was melee or ranged. Every quest took twice as long, the underleveled guys died 6+ times per quest and it was just a massive clusterfuck. I suggested we drop down to r4 at least but one of the guys who kept dying a lot insisted we stay on r6  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Simple solution. Delete reaper trees. Problem solved.

They never should have existed in the first place.

They add nothing interesting mechanically.

No one asked for them.

They exist only to mindfuck people into another hamster wheel.

~~
~~

The game is easier on r10 now, than it was when What Goes Up came out.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2022 at 4:06pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #14 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Dread is ok.

Some of the quests are charming.

"The Trouble with Tarpits" could be deleted from the game for all I care.

Did last quest on r8 with two curses up. IMO the sword/ghost dot is the only issue.

Bullywugs are fun.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2022 at 4:08pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #15 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
The game is stale for me because reapers are in every quest and reapers feel like sawdust. They are worse than champions in breaking immersion.

I love difficulty but we need more reaper variety.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #16 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 4:04pm:
Simple solution. Delete reaper trees. Problem solved.

They never should have existed in the first place.

They add nothing interesting mechanically.

No one asked for them.

They exist only to mindfuck people into another hamster wheel.

~~
~~

The game is easier on r10 now, than it was when What Goes Up came out.

Shut up, retard. Was water works hard back in your day? Get the fuck outta here.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 1:15am
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Jun 24th, 2022 at 11:25pm:
I feel like it's terrible that you're able to pug R10 and go through it easily first time.

There are very few straight newbs running r10 in new content. So, the pugs were typically decent+  <shrug>

Ran most of them r10 today with a group of 5--all guildies on this one. We did well.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jun 26th, 2022 at 1:15am:
There are very few straight newbs running r10 in new content. So, the pugs were typically decent+  <shrug>

Ran most of them r10 today with a group of 5--all guildies on this one. We did well.

That's the issue. Where is there room for growth? As people get stronger, learn the quests better, etc, if R10 is already fairly doable, it will become easier, and for the top players, where is there challenge?

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 11:43am
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Jun 26th, 2022 at 11:05am:
That's the issue. Where is there room for growth? As people get stronger, learn the quests better, etc, if R10 is already fairly doable, it will become easier, and for the top players, where is there challenge?

No.

I think discord has changed things. Before discord, very few people did the math; flavor and feelz were an equal option. With discord, spreadsheets and calculators are more easily and readily shared. What was exclusive info has become communal.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Jun 26th, 2022 at 11:43am:
No.

I think discord has changed things. Before discord, very few people did the math; flavor and feelz were an equal option. With discord, spreadsheets and calculators are more easily and readily shared. What was exclusive info has become communal.

I’m somewhere in between.

I usually run a meta or near-meta build, and I love the discord resources. TBH, when we ran the r10s, I had most of the kills because I’m running 95% optimal gear on a maxed toon on a mob-melting build. (Btw, I only have 66ish reaper points. So not even wings yet) But I’m legit mediocre at best as a player. Like I’m B- level at best. Probably C+. I ran with one your guildies this morning, Gunga, running the same build. He made me look like I just walked out of Korthos. TBF, a lot of that is practice and quest knowledge. The fact that he flew through Isle quests so fast tells me he plays a metric ton. Probably ran it on lama given just how Zerg he was.

Ok I lost my point. My point is that my mediocre butt was leading kills on r10 in a short-manned decent group. That tells me that r10 could be tuned up some. I mean people still die. It’s very easy to get one-shot. But, I could see the argument it’s a touch easy. Alternatively, maybe Ice Druids are just too good atm. Maybe a little of both. It’ll only get a little easier. I wasn’t capped (32) yet, and I think some of the new gear will make the build even a bit better.

That being said, I do have a nearly maxxed toon, and I’ve been playing over a decade. So, maybe it’s not fair to judge r10s on me. It would be extremely difficult for new players. Probably impossible.

Actually, that would be a fun LD challenge. First life toons with low reaper points but solid gear. How would you fair in r10s? I imagine skill and quest knowledge would make you 85% as effective, but it would still be fun to watch. Take away raid gear for next-level challenge.

Anyway, I guess the argument is dumb. R10s are fun, and even good groups get thrashed on certain fights. So, who cares? We’re playing a damn game.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
I think IoD may be the straw that broke the Noamineo's back. Spent a while farming components for the dino bone crafting and determined I don't have enough to make one single piece. As is usual its going to be a massive grind-wall on a level with OG slave lords.

Think I'll wait till the level 34 cap increase to re-gear.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #22 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jun 26th, 2022 at 1:47pm:
I’m somewhere in between.

I usually run a meta or near-meta build, and I love the discord resources. TBH, when we ran the r10s, I had most of the kills because I’m running 95% optimal gear on a maxed toon on a mob-melting build. (Btw, I only have 66ish reaper points. So not even wings yet) But I’m legit mediocre at best as a player. Like I’m B- level at best. Probably C+. I ran with one your guildies this morning, Gunga, running the same build. He made me look like I just walked out of Korthos. TBF, a lot of that is practice and quest knowledge. The fact that he flew through Isle quests so fast tells me he plays a metric ton. Probably ran it on lama given just how Zerg he was.

You're a good player. We ran dailies once and you ate my lunch on either a fury fighter or wolf, but I was on an extremely tweaked push raid build built to survive and for single target. To your point about quest knowledge, you knew the quests, could get to the mob first with way more strike through than I did, killing more when you got there.

Quote:
Ok I lost my point. My point is that my mediocre butt was leading kills on r10 in a short-manned decent group. That tells me that r10 could be tuned up some. I mean people still die. It’s very easy to get one-shot. But, I could see the argument it’s a touch easy. Alternatively, maybe Ice Druids are just too good atm. Maybe a little of both. It’ll only get a little easier. I wasn’t capped (32) yet, and I think some of the new gear will make the build even a bit better.

I don't disagree, I'd like to see it ramped up a touch. The problem with SSI dialing in is that they're terrible at it. THTH R1 can't be touched by 95% of the player base.

Quote:
That being said, I do have a nearly maxxed toon, and I’ve been playing over a decade. So, maybe it’s not fair to judge r10s on me. It would be extremely difficult for new players. Probably impossible.

That's the point of DDO, for me. It continues to reward long-term commitment.

Quote:
Actually, that would be a fun LD challenge. First life toons with low reaper points but solid gear. How would you fair in r10s? I imagine skill and quest knowledge would make you 85% as effective, but it would still be fun to watch. Take away raid gear for next-level challenge.

Noted, though we usually reserve this challenge for hard-core. More of us have become pretty competitive with it in recent seasons. It's a fun change of pace. Epic has a first lifer from hardcore that can heal r10 push raids.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Jun 26th, 2022 at 2:19pm:
You're a good player. We ran dailies once and you ate my lunch on either a fury fighter or wolf, but I was on an extremely tweaked push raid build built to survive and for single target.

I'm not sure that was me. I've never done Fury Fighter (I think). I did a wolf build--but not for a couple of years, I think.

Before ice druid I ran archer. Before that thrower. Before that I think I tried bearbarian, and before that was CHA-based melee pally, and before that was fire sorc, I think. I haven't run a wolf since pre-sharn I think. Unless it was heroics on a racial life or something. I like to experiment when I run those. Oh I did run DC dagger assassin rogue in there somewhere. That was brief. I was bad. 

Then again, I'm getting old and my memory is not good--which, interestingly--is also why I'm mediocre at DDO.    Grin

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2022 at 4:35pm by Head-Meat »  

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jun 26th, 2022 at 4:33pm:
I'm not sure that was me. I've never done Fury Fighter (I think). I did a wolf build--but not for a couple of years, I think.

Before ice druid I ran archer. Before that thrower. Before that I think I tried bearbarian, and before that was CHA-based melee pally, and before that was fire sorc, I think. I haven't run a wolf since pre-sharn I think. Unless it was heroics on a racial life or something. I like to experiment when I run those. Oh I did run DC dagger assassin rogue in there somewhere. That was brief. I was bad. 

Then again, I'm getting old and my memory is not good--which, interestingly--is also why I'm mediocre at DDO.    Grin

You were on Kashil.

It was probably your bear; I remember the strike trough - you were wrecking mobs.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint