Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Why is Feywild so fucking horrible? (Read 8287 times)
eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ͩͩͩͩͩͩ

Re: Why is Feywild so fucking horrible?
Reply #25 - Jul 2nd, 2022 at 10:02am
Print Post  
i remember some quests other people hated that were exceptionally easy, like coal chamber, sleeping dust and the rat maze crypt, and i ended up coming to enjoy them because of the comfort i built from constantly having to take the lead in these places with shitty pugs or players that couldnt. i was never a big fan of "leading" groups i just liked being as valuable as possible to a group if i happened to be in one, but certain quests where i knew inferior players required a leader, i was happy to show these people how things worked, make sure laggers got their quest items and end chests, a nice change of pace from just running ahead of everyone else or soloing part of a quest while others went a different direction. there is also a small reward from the few people who express gratitude in these instances.

when i try to remember things i thought were horrible, its a bit tougher to think of examples. but i have a strong memory of an overhanging hate for 2 quests, specifically mechanics within them that made them annoying to me. the first is fleshmakers, due to the 5 rune shit at the end. i remember so many solo runs of this, frustratingly trying to time hirelings to hit the runes and me trying to hit like 2 or 3 myself while trying to also time CC on wind elementals or manage their aggro. just a fucking annoying gate, an attempt to force people to use the LFG. i think i used to flesh to stone them or something but i dont remember its been years

i legit cannot remember the 2nd quest now after typing all the horseshit above. i just remember an anticipatory anger generated from some arbitrary fail condition causing multiple reruns of something across multiple lives and toons. likely a npc like the guy from threnal or the guy at the end of rit sac. or maybe along the lines of stealthy repossession. i only remember the emotional response of having to do something multiple times due to game mechanics beyond player direct control, not from a mistake or lack of skill but a consequence of RNG, where doing the same thing over and over generates different results.

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jul 2nd, 2022 at 11:11am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jul 2nd, 2022 at 10:02am:
but i have a strong memory of an overhanging hate for 2 quests, specifically mechanics within them that made them annoying to me. the first is fleshmakers, due to the 5 rune shit at the end. i remember so many solo runs of this, frustratingly trying to time hirelings to hit the runes and me trying to hit like 2 or 3 myself while trying to also time CC on wind elementals or manage their aggro. just a fucking annoying gate, an attempt to force people to use the LFG. i think i used to flesh to stone them or something but i dont remember its been years

That's another good point. Other quests like Tomb of the Burning Heart and Xorian Cipher sometimes irk me for that reason. DDO has effectively become a solo game, yet Turbine has done nothing about these outdated mechanics which FORCE you into groups

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #27 - Jul 2nd, 2022 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jul 2nd, 2022 at 7:14am:
Make Believe : Boss does insane force damage in epics and pretty much forces you to spam globe of invul every 30s or use a spell absorb item. Its also way too hard to identify the real boss depending on your monitor, and impossible for color blind players.

im kinda dumb and kinda more slow, but I could never tell.  Same with symbolo whats his name in saltmarsh first quest.  I always ask "how you people know which is which?"

Reply: Hey slowdumb we're on the next quest already lets go!!!"

sigh

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Jul 3rd, 2022 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Quote:
That's another good point. Other quests like Tomb of the Burning Heart and Xorian Cipher sometimes irk me for that reason. DDO has effectively become a solo game, yet Turbine has done nothing about these outdated mechanics which FORCE you into groups

Those are both easy now with hirelings and pets especially the permanent hirelings they give you.
Burning heart requires a pay for gold cleric, and two of the low level permanent hirelings or a 5 DDO point hireling from the store.
Xorian Cipher is soloable with same with way. You go to the side that goes up ot puzzle and two hirelings at the bottm and you can direct them to pull the switch from up above.

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Jul 3rd, 2022 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Jul 1st, 2022 at 2:25pm:
The Faithful Departed gets my vote

Mob death thing was removed

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jul 3rd, 2022 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
goldgolem wrote on Jul 3rd, 2022 at 3:35pm:
Mob death thing was removed

No it wasnt I ran it about a week ago. The problem is it is very RNG dependant especially on higher difficulties. First time I ran it I got unlucky with spawns and lost 3/3. Second time I ran it it was super easy and didnt lose any.

Other than an R10 Haunted Halls (the end fight was a lot harder than I remembered) it was the only quest I didnt complete first time.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2022 at 7:57pm by Justanotherlurker »  

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 10:20am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jul 2nd, 2022 at 9:16am:
and yet they added them back in Isle of Dread.
and put two of them very close to the "Tough Rares" that drop the Pearls.  let's you ransack those 2 rares in about 15 minutes.

That's strange, I talked to a couple of guys ingame about Isle of Dread and they told me there were no quick travel NPCs at all.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Jul 3rd, 2022 at 7:44pm:
No it wasnt I ran it about a week ago. The problem is it is very RNG dependant especially on higher difficulties. First time I ran it I got unlucky with spawns and lost 3/3. Second time I ran it it was super easy and didnt lose any.

Other than an R10 Haunted Halls (the end fight was a lot harder than I remembered) it was the only quest I didnt complete first time.

they can die but they reduced the "failure" to where you can have 2 die on you... so just save the first 2 and then you can let the rest die, especially the last one that sometimes youcan't even get to across the big room before it dies

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #33 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 11:39am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jul 4th, 2022 at 10:20am:
That's strange, I talked to a couple of guys ingame about Isle of Dread and they told me there were no quick travel NPCs at all.

Its because they aren't remotely obvious or really all that useful. They're tucked away in the poorly laid-out village and because they just take you to random points in the wilderness its about as fast to just ride there.

The one small advantage to IoD: the mobs break aggro very fast.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jul 4th, 2022 at 11:09am:
they can die but they reduced the "failure" to where you can have 2 die on you... so just save the first 2 and then you can let the rest die, especially the last one that sometimes youcan't even get to across the big room before it dies

Its been 3/4 for over 10 years

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jul 3rd, 2022 at 10:49am:
Those are both easy now with hirelings and pets especially the permanent hirelings they give you.

DDO doesn't "give" you any hirelings. Last time I checked, all of the permanent hirelings are paid accessories that come with expansions.

And no, I'm not spending 5 TP every life just to finish one or two quests with outdated mechanics which should be soloable. Even if it's only 5 TP, I'd refuse out of principle. It's arbitrary and it's stupid.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Flesh maker 5 runes are perfectly soloable with a single hire or a pet. Get the aggro, stay alive. Have the hire trigger em. Possibly help him a long a bit too.

That said, it's a dead mechanic since there's no point in trying to party up.

Absolute worse mechanic is ghost of a chance because of the 2 fucking brothers spawning in separate rooms and needing to be killed at the same time.
They don't even do that shit for raids in separate rooms, but for some reason a stupid mid level quest in orchard has to require a pug to complete.

Any other quest like that is an immidiate fuck you.

Like the one with the 3 sacrifice trglodites and a copy of the demon queen kopeshing you all over the place...

Then you have retarded gampleplay mechanics like scourge with different damage types/heal based on what you hit with in dreaming dark.
That's a whole different kind of stupid.
Say you use ruin. Damage untyped for 2k. Proc from shiradi as the element that heals for 3k.
Seems legit. Especially on spell with 30s plus cool down. Another instant fuck you quest.
Not that it can't be soloed just fine with patience.

Then you have "what in the goddamn fuck were you people thinking" quests like cove's bullshit with the ladder climb and traps.

Then you have just plain bad quests like proof is in the poison. Bad layout. Inexplicable acid damage amounts. Shit caster enemies with quadruple regular HP.

And after that you have "why the fuck is this so bad" quests which pretty much includes all post motu additions. Realistically if they took a shit on your screen youd enjoy the artwork a lot more.
Ok. Well, I can't talk to sharn, but a lot of the rest like white plume or pretty much all minor packs that came out are just pure fucking trash art and function wise.
That's what happens when you fire off the few competent artists you have and let fatsovan do stuff like voice overs I guess.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #37 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on Jul 4th, 2022 at 10:34pm:
let fatsovan do stuff like voice overs I guess.

I wonder if he lost his voice actors union card when he crossed the picketline for sharn or ravenloft or something

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #38 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Jul 4th, 2022 at 11:35pm:
I wonder if he lost his voice actors union card when he crossed the picketline for sharn or ravenloft or something

You think he can voice act well enough to be in a union?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #39 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Jul 2nd, 2022 at 7:04pm:
im kinda dumb and kinda more slow, but I could never tell.  Same with symbolo whats his name in saltmarsh first quest.  I always ask "how you people know which is which?"

Reply: Hey slowdumb we're on the next quest already lets go!!!"

sigh

This describesmuch of my DDO experience in general.  Cheesy Grin

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 11:40am
Print Post  
It's fairly interesting to see what other people hate in quests.

Absolute worse mechanic is ghost of a chance because of the 2 fucking brothers spawning in separate rooms and needing to be killed at the same time.

Ghosts of Perdition you mean? Ghosts of a chance is that one in TBC. I also don't like Necro 4, aside from Desecrated Temple. Fleshmaker runes are annoying especially with Air Elementals; GOP is annoying for the reason you described; and Inferno is just a confusing labyrinth with none of the satisfaction.

Then you have "what in the goddamn fuck were you people thinking" quests like cove's bullshit with the ladder climb and traps.

I like Prove Your Worth. It's one of the few instances in the game where the platforming actually feels smooth; compare this to something like Newcomers with those laggy moving platforms. If you put on Featherfalling before climbing the ladders, it's really easy. I think in my 10 years of running that quest, I can count on one hand the number of times I've fallen or slipped, and most of those were due to lag.

The puzzle AFTER you drop ("Rackham's Conumdrum") is kinda stupid though; I tried to figure it out once, but then decided to just follow wiki. That's one of the strangest puzzles in the game.

Then you have just plain bad quests like proof is in the poison. Bad layout. Inexplicable acid damage amounts. Shit caster enemies with quadruple regular HP.

And after that you have "why the fuck is this so bad" quests which pretty much includes all post motu additions. Realistically if they took a shit on your screen youd enjoy the artwork a lot more.

Schizophrenic difficulty is something I've always hated. It strikes me as incredibly lazy that Turbine can't be assed to take a cursory glance at existing quests and the balance new content around that. ToEE was the single most egregious example of this when it came out, as it was a ML 7 quest which was harder than anything in GIANTHOLD ffs. But they still haven't learned their lesson, and later expansions such as Saltmarsh and Feywild are vastly more difficult than any other quests their level - and none the more rewarding.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Regarding flesh maker runes, in my experience, the hire AI bugs out badly. If you park one at a rune and tell them to use it, they will...but instead of staying parked, they will run away from the rune and try to reach you, then stop halfway. I have seen this happen countless times.

Ghosts of perdition can be soloed these days. Kill the first brother, then just keep running for the second brother. Theres enough time to kill both if you dont stop, but if you dont have AOE, the mobs will probably get in your way.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jul 5th, 2022 at 12:59pm:
Regarding flesh maker runes, in my experience, the hire AI bugs out badly. If you park one at a rune and tell them to use it, they will...but instead of staying parked, they will run away from the rune and try to reach you, then stop halfway. I have seen this happen countless times.

Ghosts of perdition can be soloed these days. Kill the first brother, then just keep running for the second brother. Theres enough time to kill both if you dont stop, but if you dont have AOE, the mobs will probably get in your way.

Hires and pets like arti dog and skelly do that fairly consistently. A good example is is you use one to hit the lever in POP, they will get the lever and then decide to commit ritual suicide in the lightning wall.
The other one where I see this allt he time is the the demonweb one when you have to interact with the rift to seal it, they will use then run to you, so you basically have to repark it every time it hits the rift.

I don't know why it is so difficult to just gete a hire to obey a STAY HERE for the dev team.

Wait.....yes I DO know why.

#rockstarz
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2022 at 2:20pm by somenewnoob »  

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #43 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
My God, talk about a room of retards. Though one person can easily do the runes in flesh maker, 7 of you in one party would not.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #44 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Honestly, all those quests people "hate" give flavor to the game. I was reflecting on that considering none of the new Dread quests have any particularly original mechanics. They're pretty basic overall and, may I say, kinda boring. Temple is the one exception I suppose with the curses.

No "annoying" mechanics often leads to "boring".

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Fleshmaker's heroic is VERY difficult to to do it with hirelings.  You have very little time and then you have to hope you don't get unlucky with an air elemental.

I don't think anyone can say it is "easy with hirelings"

now Fleshmaker's Epic gives you plenty time to hit all 5 with no hirelings.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Jul 6th, 2022 at 6:20am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 5th, 2022 at 12:13am:
You think he can voice act well enough to be in a union?

Unions are funny things.  All you have to do is pay the dues and you get a card.  I was in a machinist's union for over a decade.  I'm not a machinist, I train people on computers.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #47 - Jul 6th, 2022 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Notanarc wrote on Jul 6th, 2022 at 6:20am:
Unions are funny things.  All you have to do is pay the dues and you get a card.  I was in a machinist's union for over a decade.  I'm not a machinist, I train people on computers.

Lol, that's cool. Did being in the union actual provide any tangible benefits?

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #48 - Jul 6th, 2022 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 6th, 2022 at 11:55am:
Lol, that's cool. Did being in the union actual provide any tangible benefits?

INCOMING STUPID ALERT

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Shroud Slacker

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #49 - Jul 6th, 2022 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Jul 6th, 2022 at 2:20pm:
INCOMING STUPID ALERT

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint