Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDOs graphics makes me not want to login anymore (Read 11067 times)
Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

DDOs graphics makes me not want to login anymore
Jul 11th, 2022 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Recently upgraded my potato laptop to Blade 14 with 3080 and suddenly the graphics looks horrible. Even with the highest settings the walls, the floor, character etc looks terribad. I thought IoD xpac is crap but now I realised its not the content, but how the dinosaurs and the landscape look so bad.

Will SSG fuckers ever work on a graphics update like how WoW is doing?

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Re: DDOs graphics makes me not want to login anymore
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 5:38am
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Jul 11th, 2022 at 4:45am:
Blade 14 with 3080

14" screen laptops ugh just... YUCK. There are worse ways to ruin your sight i suppose.

Bet that 3080 is 100W base with boost up to 120W. 3080 in name only.

16" screen laptops like Asus Zephyrus M16 and Legion 5 Pro are the best imho.

I'd even vote for latest HP omen 17 with mechanical keyboard but the layout with macro keys just isnt my jam.

Anyway, back to your point with DDO graphics. Try downloading "High Resolution Textures" via official launcher and see if it helps a bit.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2022 at 5:38am by Alex DeLarge »  

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 7:20am
Print Post  
The graphic quality in IoD is rather disappointing. Ravenloft was the peak so far. Everything else falls behind. There are some nice elements in Sharn but not much, And Feywild just looks unfinished.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Meh, I grew up on Genesis, N64, Gamecube, and PS2 games, so DDO looks fine to me. I don't think anyone who really cares a whole lot about graphics is still playing DDO. It's a 2006 game and since Turbine can't be assed to fix basic bugs, I doubt they have the wherewithal to give the game a visual overhaul.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
I actually like DDO for its polygonal modeling and vertex texture-mapping.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
DDO looks bad because they have bad designers.  My present theory is they've got exactly one person who knows their ass from a hole in the ground design wise and that person is working on new races and monsters.

Gnomes looked amazing, a lot of the new monsters they've rolled out have looked great.  "It's a 15 year old game" is a bullshit cop-out.  RL is on the same engine and looks great.  The problem is everything since (outside of maybe the Feywild wilderness) are being designed by some untrained, no talent hack throwing together skins on ms paint.  The insides of the new quests in the Saltmarsh are pure ass and not half as good as some of the earliest quests.

tl;dr - don't blame the age of the game, blame their hiring practices or the fact they fired the most qualified members of their team years ago.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
liljiggy wrote on Jul 11th, 2022 at 3:30pm:
tl;dr - don't blame the age of the game, blame their hiring practices or the fact they fired the most qualified members of their team years ago.

Agreed. There are 20 year old games that still look absolutely beautiful. "Being old" is not shorthand for "looks bad".

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 11th, 2022 at 1:01pm:
I actually like DDO for its polygonal modeling and vertex texture-mapping.

You're an idiot and no one cares what you think.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 11th, 2022 at 3:45pm:
Agreed. There are 20 year old games that still look absolutely beautiful. "Being old" is not shorthand for "looks bad".

See below.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
liljiggy wrote on Jul 11th, 2022 at 3:30pm:

Why not both? I maintain that 1) there's only so much you can do doll up a 2006 game and 2) even if such methods exist, Turbine probably can't be assed to do so. (As I mentioned previously.)

Agreed. There are 20 year old games that still look absolutely beautiful.

Like what? The early-mid 2000s was probably one of the more awkward phases in gaming, if we're just talking graphically. 2D sprite graphics peaked in the mid 90s as exemplified by Genesis/SNES classics like Chrono Trigger, Shining Force 2, the Lufia games, etc. (I guess GBA games sort of count too: Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, and so forth.) That style is almost universally looked upon fondly, to the point that countless indie developers are returning to the "retraux" pixel-art style with games like Wargroove, Into the Breach, Chroma Squad, Shovel Knight, SacriFire, and many others.

But then the first 3D consoles came out in the late 90s and everything looked horrible. I can't take seriously anyone who claims that FF7 still looks great today. It doesn't. It looks godawful. And sure, 3D did look better in the mid-2000s than it did in the late-90s... yet, even so, I'm not seeing any nostalgia from people saying "omg GTA 4 was beautiful, we need more games that look like it!" Hell, even some of the better looking games like Wind Waker, FF10, or Resident Evil 4 look dated by modern standards. People would rather play the "HD" versions of them. There's no urgent demand for ANYONE to create more games with the graphical style of that era.

All that comes to say: no, I don't think DDO looks markedly shittier than other games of its time. Could it benefit from a HD remaster? Probably, but I believe the game has much more pressing issues regardless. And personally, I don't really care, because graphics are one of the least important things to me in any game.

IP Logged

Raybans
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 6:47pm
Print Post  

Snitch

IP Logged

Latetotheparty
Dragon Raider

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Snitchella was accepted as an idiot.

But as a rat not so much.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Like what?

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Eye of the Beholder was a pretty shitty game.

Anyway I should clarify that I meant "some PC games". I agree everything on consoles from that era looks like hot fucking garbage. Then again, to me, everything on consoles ever has looked like hot garbage.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Fuckwad. You try making something look good with a maximum of 256MB at your disposal.

At non retards in the thread:
The textureing and work was never state of the art or even decent. Not ever.

The engine is pathetically bad in terms of features when compared to anything modern. There is no GI, there is no shadow casting, there are no reflections...
Given those parameters, a fucking potato can run something that looks really, really good (baked shadow maps) at 144fps/htz. IF you have half decent artists working.

Texture load (memory req.) Cannot be increased past 3GB when you cater to idiots who run the game on a 386. So the "quality" of the textures is also low.
But don't worry, the quality of their work file is shit to begin with even at 8k res - no amount of fucking magic will ever fix it. Heck, they probably work on a 386 themselves 😆.

To answer HcG, no they won't.
They would need to create a new backwards compatible engine for a game that has been dead at least 6 years - by their own doing.
They have no interest in making things appealing to anyone, they have interest in beating the dead horse into oblivion and milk the idiots who still pay $ to play.

You can probably write to the parent company voicing your concerns, they are far more likely to appriciate feedback and pull their name off this shit show...

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on Jul 11th, 2022 at 7:25pm:
Fuckwad. You try making something look good with a maximum of 256MB at your disposal.

You're so wrong you've almost hit a noamineo level of stupidity.  Early Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Fable, Sims 2, Max Payne, Call of Duty, Mafia, GTA, Saint's Row, Batman fucking Arkham Asylum and the list goes on and on fit into that category.

I repeat, the age of the game of those specs are a BS cop-out.  The graphics are bad because the people doing the graphics suck.  There are some beautiful games out there nearly as old, as old or even older than DDO.

IP Logged

Raybans
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
liljiggy wrote on Jul 11th, 2022 at 7:44pm:
You're so wrong you've almost hit a noamineo level of stupidity. 

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Early Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Fable, Sims 2, Max Payne, Call of Duty, Mafia, GTA, Saint's Row, Batman fucking Arkham Asylum and the list goes on and on fit into that category.

OG fable on a maxed out 2004-era PC looks nearly as good as the HD remaster.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 3:38am
Print Post  
You're so wrong you've almost hit a noamineo level of stupidity.  Early Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Fable, Sims 2, Max Payne, Call of Duty, Mafia, GTA, Saint's Row, Batman fucking Arkham Asylum and the list goes on and on fit into that category.

I repeat, the age of the game of those specs are a BS cop-out.  The graphics are bad because the people doing the graphics suck.  There are some beautiful games out there nearly as old, as old or even older than DDO.

Are you a moron or are you a moron? Those are PS1 / PS2 even ps3 titles. You may want to look up how much memory they use before looking like even more of an idiot than you currently do.

Think N64 / Sega genesis / supernintendo
That is where DDO essentially is.

I doubt you can even consider it PS1 level.
Though I guess I could grab the physical box off the shelf and tell you the exact specs they originally claimed on it. Which is probably 3x more than what it actually used to use in the end.
Does it matter? Not one bit.
It's always looked like shit as I said multiple times.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2022 at 3:46am by Anothersock »  

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 4:18am
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on Jul 12th, 2022 at 3:38am:
Those are PS1 / PS2 even ps3 titles.

Those are all games I've played on the PC.  Do you not research anything before posting?   Huh

Careful bro, you're starting to pull out in front of noamineo in wasting a lot of time typing a bunch of non-grounded BS just to hear yourself talk.

It's always looked like shit as I said multiple times.

Not sure if I can go any slower for someone as simple as you to understand, but I'll try.

It looks like shit because of the (lack of) talent in creating the graphics, not because of the engine nor the age of the engine.

You may want to look up how much memory they use before looking like even more of an idiot than you currently do.

YOU might want to consider googling games you can play with 256MB before using your fat, ill informed, greasy, loser fingers to type another word.  You've been wrong about just about everything you've said in this thread so far and the only thing setting you apart from noamineo at this point is he's at least polite and apologetic about being an idiot whereas you're giving the appearance of reveling in your own stupidity.

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #19 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jul 11th, 2022 at 5:38am:
14" screen laptops ugh just... YUCK. There are worse ways to ruin your sight i suppose.

Bet that 3080 is 100W base with boost up to 120W. 3080 in name only.

16" screen laptops like Asus Zephyrus M16 and Legion 5 Pro are the best imho.

I'd even vote for latest HP omen 17 with mechanical keyboard but the layout with macro keys just isnt my jam.

Anyway, back to your point with DDO graphics. Try downloading "High Resolution Textures" via official launcher and see if it helps a bit.

I did download high resolution textures but still something is amiss in IoD content - I don't know what it is but it looks crap.

DDO has the highest revenue/player in SSG. What those fuckers are doing with all the money they get God only knows.

IP Logged

Raybans
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 5:11am
Print Post  
liljiggy wrote on Jul 12th, 2022 at 4:18am:
the only thing setting you apart from noamineo at this point is he's at least polite and apologetic about being an idiot whereas you're giving the appearance of reveling in your own stupidity.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 5:56am
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Jul 12th, 2022 at 4:48am:
I did download high resolution textures but still something is amiss in IoD content - I don't know what it is but it looks crap.

DDO has the highest revenue/player in SSG. What those fuckers are doing with all the money they get God only knows.

That would require a whole new engine at that point. DDO 2.0 with up-to-date graphics, but that aint gonna happen.

Given how poorly optimized the current public areas/wildernesses/quests/other shit is, you will experience client lag (a.k.a FPS drops) even with the newest GPUs.
Adjusting some video settings down helps a little bit.

Poor optimization is 100% a dev skill issue.

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 8:40am
Print Post  
IOD looks like it is missing a final art pass and just got pushed live. there is normally a final "set dressing" pass to make environments look full and pretty that seems to have just been missed

the colour palette they choose is also weird, its all drab with no highlight colour
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2022 at 8:44am by goldgolem »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #23 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on Jul 11th, 2022 at 7:25pm:
The engine is pathetically bad in terms of features when compared to anything modern. There is no GI, there is no shadow casting, there are no reflections...
Given those parameters, a fucking potato can run something that looks really, really good (baked shadow maps) at 144fps/htz. IF you have half decent artists working.

Texture load (memory req.) Cannot be increased past 3GB when you cater to idiots who run the game on a 386. So the "quality" of the textures is also low.
But don't worry, the quality of their work file is shit to begin with even at 8k res - no amount of fucking magic will ever fix it. Heck, they probably work on a 386 themselves 😆.

To answer HcG, no they won't.
They would need to create a new backwards compatible engine for a game that has been dead at least 6 years - by their own doing.

*shrug* Note I'm not defending SSG... just pointing the facts.

The engine is the Asheron's Call engine with a few tweaks, it's also the one used in LoTRO. ( and manybe we will get in DDO the overahaul promised in LoTRO in that domian in the AG7 investment slides since in the past what one game got in upgrade the other one got it too ).

As for the textures and stuff... the DAT file format is [b]also[/i] the same as the AC one, and it has limitations.
( sequencial seek for a String Table DID, clukny index, issues with size, and the reindexing function has been removed years ago, so there's lots of useless shit here and there in the file after a while ( since changing something in a texture or anything else, means using a new String Table DID... and the old one is still there unused )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I dont think great textures would have changed my opinion of IoD. It would still be very empty and drab

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint