Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDOs graphics makes me not want to login anymore (Read 11082 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: DDOs graphics makes me not want to login anymore
Reply #25 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
goldgolem wrote on Jul 12th, 2022 at 5:11pm:
I dont think great textures would have changed my opinion of IoD. It would still be very empty and drab

Yeah its pretty disappointing over all.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jul 13th, 2022 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Leave it to the vault to conjure up 2 goddman morons for the price of one.

Liljiggy or whatever the fuck, go gobble some cock like you obviously love to. It's probably all you are good for, If even.
Not even going to address the retardedness shining mighty throughout your post. It speaks for itself really.

Flav, I doubt the devs for lotr are any more competent being it's the exact same bunch of idiots.

You actually need talented talent to make something half decent. The intelligence of most Turdbine employees is obviously only rivaled by the retards of the vault - possibly that of the Frontier dev team. But even they are less moronic, which is saying a lot actually.

Re the optimization.
That's not really an artist's job. Since they don't really have developers, it seems kind of normal that no one there knows what the fuck to do to get a decent amount of FPS out of the engine.
I mean, they are wasting time rolling nerfs to dodge back and forth when they could actually do the optimization pass, what the fuck does anyone expect?

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #27 - Jul 13th, 2022 at 9:06am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 12th, 2022 at 5:14pm:
Yeah its pretty disappointing over all.

That's what your mom said about you last night.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ͩͩͩͩͩͩ

Reply #28 - Jul 13th, 2022 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Jul 11th, 2022 at 4:45am:
Recently upgraded my potato laptop to Blade 14 with 3080 and suddenly the graphics looks horrible. Even with the highest settings the walls, the floor, character etc looks terribad. I thought IoD xpac is crap but now I realised its not the content, but how the dinosaurs and the landscape look so bad.

i am going to take a different approach than the other posters. instead of simply agreeing with your point that game looks like ass, i want to verify your state of ass. do you happen to have any recent screenshots of gameplay BEFORE upgrading, such that you might be able to take a 2nd similar screenshot under current conditions giving you a chance to compare your previous experience with your current one? it is possible theres some setting or otherwise causing things to look different than u recall. it plausible there is something else causing this new feeling than just having a new laptop. maybe u are noticing a difference that you are unable to specifically identify and u are assuming u are noticing its badness when it in fact actually looks worse. or it could be a problem specific to IoD, that existed in both laptop specs, but not other content. it could even be some setting specific to the new laptop or an unfamiliar software on it, such as some kind of power saving green energy meme configured to nerf ur GPU power consumption for the sake of preserving laptop battery.

this all assumes u didnt just roll over today and realize u were sick of 2006, which could very well be the case all the same

Quote:
SNES classics like Chrono Trigger, Shining Force 2, the Lufia games, 
if u can name these you might enjoy a game called 'terranigma' check it out if u find your self wanting a new SNES game some day

also posting this in the defense of some retards, this game is from 2011

this is the same game in 2022

check video in fullscreen to really get your colon swollen is only 5 mins
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2022 at 10:22am by eighnuss »  

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #29 - Jul 13th, 2022 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on Jul 13th, 2022 at 3:37am:
Flav, I doubt the devs for lotr are any more competent being it's the exact same bunch of idiots.

You actually need talented talent to make something half decent. The intelligence of most Turdbine employees is obviously only rivaled by the retards of the vault - possibly that of the Frontier dev team. But even they are less moronic, which is saying a lot actually.

Re the optimization.
That's not really an artist's job. Since they don't really have developers, it seems kind of normal that no one there knows what the fuck to do to get a decent amount of FPS out of the engine.
I mean, they are wasting time rolling nerfs to dodge back and forth when they could actually do the optimization pass, what the fuck does anyone expect?

I never mentioned that the people working on LoTRO were in any way more competent ( especially since they are the same gag of gentel moron ) just that a slide presented to EG7 investors mentionned a graphic overhaul of LoTRO and that since both games are basicaliy brothers it can be also used in DDO.

I agree that the optimization is not an artists job... it's a system job... except that they don't have anybody that has a clue about the whole system. So they try to fix the system issues by nerfing the things they think are the cause of the issues. ( they are not, the issues are most probably at lower layers, and some of them are most probably database and Infrastructure related... but they have nobody left to look deeply into those bits )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Nha.
Should be fairly easy for the development build to know if it is thread locked by CPU or GPU. Even on a 20 year old engine.

Also, they probably test things with a direct link to the server that sports 0 lag or similar issues.

In other words, a diper wearing 2 year old could test the game and determine that 60fps output at 1080p on a 3090ti means someone fucked the dog, the horse, the cat, the mouse... and the rest of the entire farm - instead of doing their job right.

The most common reason for low FPS is too much transparency overlaps increasing pixel complexity. In other words, badly made grass / trees.

And by badly made, on a 10 year old engine, this means simply using speedtree to pop out a couple of models.
The newest tools do not give a shit about old engines, so you'd have to know what you are doing even as an artist to take the output of a modern program and make it work in an old environment.

The second biggest performance killer is shit being pre-loaded for no reason at all at a greater than needed LOD (level of definition).
This can be due to bad occlusion culling, but knowing the retards at SSG, they likely just didn't create the LODs right, or forgot to pay the sympligon or whatever other license thing that does it for them.
Or they simply chose not to give a shit *far more likely*.

I have been telling you guys.
The only way ddo ever gets fixed is if either WotC pulls the license and the game dies out,

Or if it gets sold to a single individual who actually cares about publishing *decent* stuff and not treating paying customer like shit (which involves hanging fatsovan with his own intestines).

I lean towards hoping wotc crashes their money cow by pulling the licensing.
The selling thing has happened before, and it's always the same assholes who hold the license/change company names in a shell game that should honestly be investigated by the securities commission at this point...

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on Jul 13th, 2022 at 3:37am:
Liljiggy, I'm much too thick to give a worth wild opinion over even the most rudimentary of subjects.  You'll only waste valuable seconds of your life bothering to read anything I type.  Just assume I'm blowing smoke out my ass and ignore all my future posts.

Solid.  Thanks for the heads up.  Cheers.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Honestly surprised you can manage to breath in air. But whatever. Educating random fags isn't worth the effort.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #33 - Jul 15th, 2022 at 12:48am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jul 13th, 2022 at 10:03am:
if u can name these you might enjoy a game called 'terranigma' check it out if u find your self wanting a new SNES game some day

I'd never heard of this before, put an hour in so far & it seems to be a solid recommendation, thank you!

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

The Real Grand
Korthos Resident

Mmmm! So good!

Reply #34 - Jul 15th, 2022 at 3:55am
Print Post  
liljiggy wrote on Jul 14th, 2022 at 6:03pm:
Solid.  Thanks for the heads up.  Cheers.

That's most likely Prostate Volva.  He's too stupid to remember his own password and too dense to recover it.  Even the most basic vault knuckledragger like noamineo or Cripey manages to log in with the same account day after day, year after year.

Prostate Volva there is a special kind of stupid.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #35 - Jul 15th, 2022 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jul 13th, 2022 at 10:03am:

I need to get that one.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Jul 16th, 2022 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Not it, but look who's talking about stupid? Bananafag, one of the dumbest shit posters of the vault.
What is it about graphics - of which none of you know the first thing about - that brings all the idiots to the yard?
Or is it something the government is putting in your water that's making you all some special kind of stupid?
Then again I guess you can blame ddo itself. Afterall at this point in time only motherfucking jobless retards are playing it....

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ͩͩͩͩͩͩ

Reply #37 - Jul 16th, 2022 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on Jul 16th, 2022 at 2:17am:
a pattern of words in many posts

this guy is the PC literate archtype that flav identifies as and so obnoxiously fails to signal

to my small audience of gamers
terranigma is actually the 3rd game in a trilogy of 4 games (quattrogy?) whos names i cant remember so i will google... soulblazer, illusion of gaia, terranigma, grandstream saga. this is the best one and you dont need the other games to understand the lore any different, they dont change your experience. i expect people driven toward this kind of game will be pleased to have played it once its all over, so have fun fellow gamers. the soundtrack is a legit highlight and u will carry these melodies into your twilight years, some associated with emotions this game made u feel. its a good thing.

semi spoiler but not really:
After you've resurrected the five towers in the "starting hometown area", you can go to a small cave located west of Tower 5. Kill the guards inside, then either use an ice ring, or throw pots at the fire-swirling monsters that you can't reach

Not as well known as the one above, the cave is located north of Tower 3 and looks like a small cluster of snow. Simply throw the rocks blocking your path out of the way to get to the control room.

i only give these 2 tips because they are optional, and not intuitive secrets, that you can only do while at your "starting hometown area" they are easy to miss and you would never know

« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2022 at 11:32am by eighnuss »  

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Jul 16th, 2022 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Tetraology*
The game is mostly just an rpg like many before and after. It's just heavier on story, and was never released in the US.

I don't really see how or why it's even remotely relevant to how much DDO's graphics suck, have almost always sucked, and will never be any good..
Although, it is a decent example of a game that manages to look decent despite being sub 256MB of memory overall. Apples and oranges though, since the 3d in it is rather limited.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Jul 16th, 2022 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Why not both? I maintain that 1) there's only so much you can do doll up a 2006 game and 2) even if such methods exist, Turbine probably can't be assed to do so. (As I mentioned previously.)

Like what? The early-mid 2000s was probably one of the more awkward phases in gaming, if we're just talking graphically. 2D sprite graphics peaked in the mid 90s as exemplified by Genesis/SNES classics like Chrono Trigger, Shining Force 2, the Lufia games, etc. (I guess GBA games sort of count too: Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, and so forth.) That style is almost universally looked upon fondly, to the point that countless indie developers are returning to the "retraux" pixel-art style with games like Wargroove, Into the Breach, Chroma Squad, Shovel Knight, SacriFire, and many others.

But then the first 3D consoles came out in the late 90s and everything looked horrible. I can't take seriously anyone who claims that FF7 still looks great today. It doesn't. It looks godawful. And sure, 3D did look better in the mid-2000s than it did in the late-90s... yet, even so, I'm not seeing any nostalgia from people saying "omg GTA 4 was beautiful, we need more games that look like it!" Hell, even some of the better looking games like Wind Waker, FF10, or Resident Evil 4 look dated by modern standards. People would rather play the "HD" versions of them. There's no urgent demand for ANYONE to create more games with the graphical style of that era.

All that comes to say: no, I don't think DDO looks markedly shittier than other games of its time. Could it benefit from a HD remaster? Probably, but I believe the game has much more pressing issues regardless. And personally, I don't really care, because graphics are one of the least important things to me in any game.

Wind Waker is gorgeous, bitch.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ͩͩͩͩͩͩ

Reply #40 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on Jul 16th, 2022 at 8:40pm:
I don't really see how or why it's even remotely relevant to how much DDO's graphics suck, have almost always sucked, and will never be any good..

its a part of this reply chain

Quote:

i agree with your post

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Bobbicus wrote on Jul 16th, 2022 at 8:49pm:
Wind Waker is gorgeous, bitch.

That's an unwarranted insult if I've ever seen one, bitch.

like I already said, it was good-looking for its time. But it's dated, especially with regards to some of the environments and lighting effects. If it were graphically flawless, then there would've been no need for a HD remaster. Compare this to LTTP which came out earlier: Nintendo NEVER went for a "HD Remaster" of it. Yet, they've re-released it for multiple consoles (GBA, Wii U, 3DS, Switch), in part because they recognize that LTTP's graphics still hold up.

Also, I can't think of a single modern game which tries to emulate the graphical style of Wind Waker. whereas there are dozens upon dozens which go for the retraux pixel art of the mid 90s.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #42 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Also, I can't think of a single modern game which tries to emulate the graphical style of Wind Waker. whereas there are dozens upon dozens which go for the retraux pixel art of the mid 90s.

The main reason for this is because, compared to the mid 90s, pixel art is a thousand times easier to do today than it used to be. Meaning one programmer can, with relatively little effort, create all of his own art for a game. Nostalgia for the style is certainly part of it, but the bigger reason we see so many pixel art games is because the art is just so fucking easy to do.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
So said the village idiot who has literally never produced any art. Let alone pixel art.
Dumb fuck.
It's 2022 a pixel is less than .01mm making good pixel art is at least 10000 times more difficult than I it was in the early 90s just by sheer amount of total pixels in resolution.

The easy button in game dresign is toon shader shit. Fortnite/Borderlands etc.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2022 at 1:01pm by Anothersock »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #44 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on Jul 20th, 2022 at 1:01pm:
So said the village idiot who has literally never produced any art. Let alone pixel art.

Actually I have a degree in game design and focused on environmental art in college. I've logged people-years in 3Dstudio MAX, made thousands of completed art assets for games. But I do polygonal modeling, not pixel art, so I guess you're only half-retarded today?

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
The fact you claim to have a degree is fucked up for so many reasons. Particularly if true and you actually managed to get a degree.
Says a heck of a lot about our educational institutions.........

/ folks, there's no longer a discussion to be bad about why DDO graphics suck.
This dude got a degree on something computer related. That's all you gotta know.
Assume turdbine employees are 10% worse...
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2022 at 4:52pm by Anothersock »  

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Shroud Slacker

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #46 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Anothersock wrote on Jul 20th, 2022 at 4:50pm:
The fact you claim to have a degree is fucked up for so many reasons. Particularly if true and you actually managed to get a degree.
Says a heck of a lot about our educational institutions.........

/ folks, there's no longer a discussion to be bad about why DDO graphics suck.
This dude got a degree on something computer related. That's all you gotta know.
Assume turdbine employees are 10% worse...

For the record, this was an AWFUL attempt at a comeback after you got schooled.

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #47 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 20th, 2022 at 2:56pm:
Actually I have a degree in game design and focused on environmental art in college. I've logged people-years in 3Dstudio MAX, made thousands of completed art assets for games.

Post your bio.  Go ahead, do it!  Let us see the real you.  Be the bigger better Marshall Lannes.   Kiss Kiss

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 3:46am
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Jul 20th, 2022 at 7:14pm:
Post your bio.  Go ahead, do it!  Let us see the real you.  Be the bigger better Marshall Lannes.   Kiss Kiss

Too far.  If noamineo is a really fucking annoying fly buzzing in your face that's especially frustrating because you think it might have landed on the giant pile of crap in the corner, Marshall Lannes is the disgusting pile of crap.

IP Logged

Anothersock
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Schooled?
How does saying "actually I have a degree in this but I still say stupid shit like pixel art is easy" constitute anything at all IF NOT IDIOCY? 😆

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint