Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ferrocrystal & Flamesalt weapons – what were they THINKING? (Read 3770 times)
iGouger
Ex Member

Ferrocrystal & Flamesalt weapons – what were they THINKING?
Jul 19th, 2022 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Was pondering the applications of Flamesalt weapons earlier when running Saltmarsh, since I never use those weapons and was wondering “are these actually good?” I came to a realization that no, they suck. And so do Ferrocrystal weapons. I eventually did the quick maths to prove it. For this case study, I decided to look at the ML 2 Nicked Weapons from Sharn, and ML 4 Cannith Crafted Weapons to compare.

ML 2 Nicked Weapons:
+2 enhancement
+2d6 elemental
+3 deadly

= +2 to hit, +7~17 damage

ML 4 Cannith Crafted Weapons:
+2 enhancement
+2d6 elemental (red aug)
+2d6 light damage prefix
+2d6 bludgeon or piercing or slashing suffix

= +2 to hit, +8~38 damage

ML 5 Ferrocrystal Weapons:
+2 enhancement
+2d6 elemental (red aug)
Destruction
+2d8 damage on crits (avg = 9 damage per crit; crits 15% of the time; 9 * 0.15 = 1.35 damage per hit on average)
+2d10 damage vs fey

= +2 to hit, +5.35~15.35 damage, Destruction
vs fey = +2 to hit, +7.35~35.35 damage, Destruction

Even against Fey, Ferrocrystal weapons are WORSE than ML 4 Cannith Crafted Weapons (7.35~35.35 vs. 8~38 damage per hit). Against non-fey, they are inferior to even NICKED weapons (5.35~15.35 vs. 7~17 damage per hit). WTF? The only thing you are really getting is Destruction, but Destruction is pointless at Level 5 because you’re supposed to be killing things quickly. Ferrocrystal weapons suck donkey balls. It’s hard to believe how bad they are. Just like the rest of Feywild. Fuck Feywild.

ML 5 Flamesalt Weapons:
+1 enhancement (why…?)
+2d6 cold
+Weakening
+2d6 elemental (red aug)
+2d10 bane vs monstrous humanoids

= +1 to hit, +5~25 damage, +1 str damage per hit
vs monstrous humanoids = +1 to hit, +7~45 damage, +1 str damage per hit

Flamesalt weaponry on the other hand… it’s just mediocre. The most glaring problem I have with them is the +1 enhancement bonus. Seriously, why? It’s not a huge issue, but it’s just bizarre. Aside from that, you’re getting 5~25 damage per hit against normal targets, which is strictly inferior to Cannith Crafted ML 4s (5~25 vs 8~38). Against Monstrous Humanoids, Flamesalt has a +7 higher damage ceiling than ML 4 Cannith Crafted weapons, but a -1 damage floor and -1 to hit (7~45 vs 8~38. You also apply -1 str damage per hit, which is realistically not going to be doing much.

Given this reality, are Flamesalts really worth the inventory slot? I don’t really think so. They’re better than nothing, sure, but they seem resoundingly mediocre. At best, they’re situationally better than ML 4 Cannith Crafted weapons, and even so, it’s ever-so-marginally.

Also, consider the competition, even outside of Cannith Crafted weaponry. Shortswords have Tiefling’s Assassin Blade at 4 and Blade of the Clouds at 6. Daggers have Flotsam at 4. Scimitars have Kronzek’s Cruelty at 4. Quarterstaves have the Cheiftain’s Spear at 4. Etc. All of the above have ToEE weapons at 7. Given all these options, I really see no niche for Flamesalt weapons.

In summary: Ravenloft 10 weapons are very good at their level. Sharn 15 weapons are very good for their level. On the other hand, Saltmarsh weapons are mediocre for their level. Feywild weapons are downright useless; against most targets, they’re inferior to ML 2 nicked weapons (lol) and against Fey, they’re inferior to ML 4 Cannith Crafted weapons.

What were they thinking when designing these weapons??? Stuff like this really blows my mind as to how Turbine still has its sycophantic apologists.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Ferrocrystal & Flamesalt weapons – what were they THINKING?
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
They were thinking "StringTableError" followed by a long line of question-marks.

But the general idea is Ferrocrystal & Flamesalt = ever so slightly better than bare-handed. This is in fact the intentional logic to a lot of DDO's starter gear. When the Tabaxi Trailblazer came out and people commented that the starter gear was 8 years out of date and only VERY marginally better than being naked, steel or one of them came right out and said "That's on purpose".

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ͩͩͩͩͩͩ

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 19th, 2022 at 5:53pm:
They were thinking "StringTableError" followed by a long line of question-marks.

But the general idea is Ferrocrystal & Flamesalt = ever so slightly better than bare-handed. This is in fact the intentional logic to a lot of DDO's starter gear. When the Tabaxi Trailblazer came out and people commented that the starter gear was 8 years out of date and only VERY marginally better than being naked, steel or one of them came right out and said "That's on purpose".

unless you can demonstrate that ferrocrystal and flamesalt are specifically intended to be starter items then i dont think the latter point applies. when proverbial you create a toon and it comes with free shit for 0 effort it should be the lowest benefit in game so u dont invalidate any non free content that takes effort. i am assuming these items require some form of effort, collectible, explorer farming, something beyond pressing CREATE CHARACTER. so it would make sense for it to have level appropriate stats.

simultaneously
OMG POWER CREEP
OMG ITS NOT BETTER ITS WORSE
the more items they make that are shit, or equal to existing items, the less you have to move out of your TR bank each life. it is a good thing that the new flavors of the month dont invalidate systems like cannith crafting. but i must agree that level 4 and 5 named items should not come out of the box performing worse than lvl 2 named items.

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 11:25am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 19th, 2022 at 5:53pm:
This is in fact the intentional logic to a lot of DDO's starter gear. When the Tabaxi Trailblazer came out and people commented that the starter gear was 8 years out of date and only VERY marginally better than being naked, steel or one of them came right out and said "That's on purpose".

That's kind of an asinine reasoning (as expected from Turbine), but at any rate, it does nothing to explain why ML 2 Sharn weapons are better than ML 5 Ferrocrystals.

eighnuss wrote on Jul 19th, 2022 at 7:13pm:
simultaneously
OMG POWER CREEP
OMG ITS NOT BETTER ITS WORSE

Actually a fair point I hadn't considered. At the same time, I do have to point out that expansion weapon balance is all over the place:

Ravenloft 10s: completely overpowered for their level, plus you get 1 for free every single life.

Sharn 15s: very good for their level, and they require a decent amount of questing to get them. This, to me, is the ideal spot where expansion items should be. Syranian weapons have a niche as construct beaters, plus they perform well against other monsters.

Saltmarsh 5s: mediocre for their level, and they require a decent amount of questing. These aren't in the worst place right now, although I still think  they should be at least +2 or something.

Failwild 5s: Absolutely useless and they require the most amount of questing to get. They have no niche whatsoever, are outperformed by Cannith Crafted items, and there is 0 point in taking them when you could get a ML 4 augment instead.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Ferrocrystal weapons are for beating on oozes and rust monsters.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
ML 4 Cannith Crafted blueshine weapons can have +2 enhancement, +2d6 Light Damage prefix, +2d10 oozebane, and a 2d6 augment. That's far better against oozes than Ferrocrystals.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2022 at 2:30pm by »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That's kind of an asinine reasoning (as expected from Turbine), but at any rate, it does nothing to explain why ML 2 Sharn weapons are better than ML 5 Ferrocrystals.

That's explained by simply retardation. You know I'm all for those work-assistance programs but the group home really shouldn't be sending out game designers.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
They? There is just one loot dev - Lynnshit.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Yeah, well, I guess retardartion is a good explanation for a lot of the shit that Turbines done over the past 10 years.

In other news, it looks like they're taking down Skeletons in the Closet, some 10 hours after releasing it. lol

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah, well, I guess retardartion is a good explanation for a lot of the shit that Turbines done over the past 10 years.

In other news, it looks like they're taking down Skeletons in the Closet, some 10 hours after releasing it. lol

Was this the raid? Yeah that's par for the course.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 6:25am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 20th, 2022 at 2:50pm:
That's explained by simply retardation. You know I'm all for those work-assistance programs but the group home really shouldn't be sending out game designers.

Come on, do you really think they would let those kids work around Fat Jerry?

IP Logged

Notanarc
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Quote:

Its almost like they didn't play test before releasing it.   Shocked

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Notanarc wrote on Jul 21st, 2022 at 6:26am:
Its almost like they didn't play test before releasing it.   Shocked

They really don't.

It's been mentioned in dev postings that they do have some kind of quality assurance testing, steel let slip a few times that certain features were cut because they couldn't make it work reliably enough(and given how reliable the stuff that DID pass qa is...woof). The only real play-testing we get is a few hours of Lamania 2 weeks before the release goes live, during which any and all feedback will be ignored.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Notanarc wrote on Jul 21st, 2022 at 6:25am:
Come on, do you really think they would let those kids work around Fat Jerry?

That's why they send the quick ones. The figure he's too slow to catch them.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I'll take "Things we all  knew would happen" for $500 Alex"

beep beep beep

What is "Business as usual for Turdbine"

That is correct for 500!
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2022 at 3:28pm by somenewnoob »  

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jul 21st, 2022 at 3:26pm:

beep beep beep

That is correct for 500!

They just took down the raid again for the same issue that caused the shutdown the first time.

https://twitter.com/DDOUnlimited/status/1550244989313208321
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2022 at 7:12pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 21st, 2022 at 7:11pm:
They just took down the raid again for the same issue that caused the shutdown the first time.

https://twitter.com/DDOUnlimited/status/1550244989313208321

I'm not even mad. That's just impressive.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jul 21st, 2022 at 7:20pm:
I'm not even mad. That's just impressive.

To be fair to them.....it's more complicated than getting wings to recharge....which took.....A FEW times.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 30th, 2022 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Okay, I took some time to craft some twink weapons and here's what I'm talking about. Note how previously, I completely disregarded the possibility for double augmented lootgen weapons. With these, Flamesalts are completely irrelevant and utterly outclassed:

Falchion is +2, has 8d6 extra damage, for 10~50 extra damage per hit

Compare this to Flamesalt which is +1 with 7~45 extra damage per hit, even against monstrous humanoids

This means Falchions are universally better. Only thing Flamesalt has is the -1 str per hit, which is useless. Also note how I could've eschewed 2d6 in Bludgeon Damage and gone for Keen instead.

For the Greatsword, it's +2 with 6d6 extra damage, for 8~38 extra damage per hit

Compare this to Ferrocrystal which are +2 to hit, +5.35~15.35 damage, and have Destruction. It's really no comparison.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #19 - Jul 30th, 2022 at 1:52pm
Print Post  

Been a while since you've watched Jeopardy huh?  Grin

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they need an answer.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Shroud Slacker

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #20 - Jul 30th, 2022 at 2:05pm
Print Post  

Who?

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #21 - Jul 30th, 2022 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Standing Stone Games wrote on Jul 30th, 2022 at 2:05pm:
Who?

I figured someone would think that's what I meant but...
Jeopardy hasn't had a $500 question since 2001.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #22 - Jul 31st, 2022 at 1:30pm
Print Post  

beep beep beep

That is correct for 500!

Standing Stone Games wrote on Jul 30th, 2022 at 2:05pm:
Who?

Slick Stick wrote on Jul 30th, 2022 at 2:51pm:
I figured someone would think that's what I meant but...
Jeopardy hasn't had a $500 question since 2001.

You logged on the wrong sock account again.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #23 - Aug 2nd, 2022 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 31st, 2022 at 1:30pm:
You logged on the wrong sock account again.

You are the biggest fucking idiot.

How many socks do you have anyway?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint