Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Strange Choices in Item Design #999: ToEE Item Sets (Read 2314 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Strange Choices in Item Design #999: ToEE Item Sets
Sep 6th, 2022 at 2:18pm
Print Post  

This is the other half of the set:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Eyes_of_the_Eternal_Flame

I ask you: what is the point of having a bonus to melee/ranged power and +dmg vs. helpless on what is clearly a caster set?

Here's one from Temple's Tempest:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Docent_of_the_Howling_Hatred

Compare to:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Docent_of_the_Crushing_Wave

Identical stats except for a different elemental absorption. Same set bonus.

Hey, look, same set bonus. Despite having 4 different sets. The objective of the ToEE revamp was to reduce the number of distinct items. It failed miserably in this regard. There's now a huge number of virtually identical finished items with a identical set bonuses, at a power level already bloated with far superior gear.

What the fuck, SSG?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Strange Choices in Item Design #999: ToEE Item Sets
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2022 at 2:22pm
Print Post  

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2022 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 6th, 2022 at 2:18pm:
I ask you: what is the point of having a bonus to melee/ranged power and +dmg vs. helpless on what is clearly a caster set?

Helpless damage can work on nukers. I suppose an EK build could make use of most of that. But, it wouldn't be wearing a robe..

<shrug>

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2022 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 6th, 2022 at 2:42pm:
Helpless damage can work on nukers. I suppose an EK build could make use of most of that. But, it wouldn't be wearing a robe..

<shrug>

There's non-robe versions of the same item. But the point is it pairs with goggles that are obviously caster goggles.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2022 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Yeah, those set effects suck.

The loot revamp is the biggest thing that annoyed me about U56 personally (if I played a caster, I'd probably be more upset about sonic blast, so lucky for me I'm a melee guy)

In recent updates, Turbine has persisted with this new paradigm of reverse-power-creep. I.e. new items are not as good as old ones. I don't know exactly when they decided to start doing this, but I do know that the past few updates haven't yielded any loot that I've been excited about.

What annoys me more is that they removed the old ToEE weapons, and gave us this garbage. For melee characters, ToEE weapons were awesome! I love having AoEE proc effects on my weapons, and wish more weapons had them. That was originally why I was a big fan of the Fang of Siberys when the Reign of Madness first came out. But as it stands now, melee AoE weapons are few and far between, only relegated to a few weapon types. It's more boring now. It's a textbook example of Turbine throwing the baby out with the bathwater. People proposed reworks on the forums, like the one you suggested: simply streamline the blanks into a GS-like crafting system. Predictably, Steelstar has his head too far up his rectal cavity to pay attention and listen to these sensible suggestions.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2022 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 6th, 2022 at 2:52pm:
There's non-robe versions of the same item. But the point is it pairs with goggles that are obviously caster goggles.

EK is the only thing that might make sense. Pretty dang niche.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2022 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That was originally why I was a big fan of the Fang of Siberys when the Reign of Madness first came out.

Jesus. You just took me back at least a decade. Honestly, loved the shit out of that scimitar. Same for the old reaver's thunderclap GS.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2022 at 3:16pm by Edrein »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2022 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
What annoys me more is that they removed the old ToEE weapons, and gave us this garbage.

Fortunately the weapons and crafting station are still in the game. Assuming you don't eat the ones you have on every TR cycle they are still an option.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2022 at 2:02am
Print Post  
That's true, and my own weapons are untouched, so I'm personally fine. But I'm thinking more in terms of long-term health for the game: it's not a good move to reverse-power-creep weapons and then render 7-year-old weapons unobtainable to newer players.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2022 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That's true, and my own weapons are untouched, so I'm personally fine. But I'm thinking more in terms of long-term health for the game: it's not a good move to reverse-power-creep weapons and then render 7-year-old weapons unobtainable to newer players.

Agreed.

Not as bad as EverQuest, though. Imagine if the eSoS was as rare as it was before the S/S/S revamp, but VON6 was only open for 2 weeks, 10 years ago. Maybe 5 people on the entire server have one, and getting it will never be possible again. Also in this scenario imagine eSoS is still the single undisputed best melee weapon in the entire game.

That's what EverQuest was like the last time I knew someone who seriously played it.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2022 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2022 at 1:41pm:
Not as bad as EverQuest, though. Imagine if the eSoS was as rare as it was before the S/S/S revamp, but VON6 was only open for 2 weeks, 10 years ago. Maybe 5 people on the entire server have one, and getting it will never be possible again. Also in this scenario imagine eSoS is still the single undisputed best melee weapon in the entire game.

That's what EverQuest was like the last time I knew someone who seriously played it.

So...only one "Sword of a Thousand Truths" ever existed, huh?

There goes that idea.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2022 at 4:05pm by Standing Stone Games »  

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2022 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Standing Stone Games wrote on Sep 7th, 2022 at 3:58pm:
So...only one "Sword of a Thousand Truths" ever existed, huh?

https://i.imgur.com/MFxqeRZ.jpg

There goes that idea.  Roll Eyes

My memory is a bit hazy because this story was related to me about 7 years ago, but the short version is there was some kind of huge in-game event. Like an evolving storyline that covered several months and required players to be online at specific hours to participate. So not only was the event only accessible at all to the most dedicated players, not everyone playing even got the rewards. Once it was over, those items were never accessible again.

Both EverQuest and EQ 2 had shit like that. At least DDO's share is by incompetence rather than design.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2022 at 2:32am
Print Post  
I saw the set bonuses and was like "meh"...and had the same reaction with most of the updated seal items.

It certaintly feels like they deliberately give non-expansion gear shitty set bonuses on purpose. Compare Age of Rage sets to Ravenloft sets (came out at roughly the same time) and it certaintly looks similar.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2022 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Sep 9th, 2022 at 2:32am:
I saw the set bonuses and was like "meh"...and had the same reaction with most of the updated seal items.

It certaintly feels like they deliberately give non-expansion gear shitty set bonuses on purpose. Compare Age of Rage sets to Ravenloft sets (came out at roughly the same time) and it certaintly looks similar.

I was noticing that, too. Also when they added set bonuses to all the old gear most of it was very "meh". I thought the idea was to work it out so you could get a set bonus from the xpac gear AND a bonus from the non-xpac gear; but this seems not to be the case.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 12:27am
Print Post  
You can get elemental crit from a sands set and combine it with the estoeric initiate set at least, but this is inferior compared to just using a proper sharn set that gives elemental crit in most cases. Its OK if you want to use heroic estoeric initiate + a epic sands set for epic leveling though, using the gem of many facets.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint