Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) My Theoretical Attempts at making Sacred Fist useful: (Read 9794 times)
Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: My Theoretical Attempts at making Sacred Fist useful:
Reply #25 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Quote:
According to the description, it is a rng chance for 1d6 damage per character level, scaling with spellpower, with a cooldown of 5 seconds.

You're misreading and also only looking at 1 point spent, it's a three level ability and is 1d6+6 per level.
Three different procs, tracked separately so that's three hits every 5 seconds.
You get either cold+electric+sonic, or force+acid+poison

It's all on the wiki.

For the sake of a reset and a bit of plat, give it a try, it just feels both strong and fun to play with.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #26 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 10:50am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Sep 14th, 2022 at 5:11am:
One thing just occured to me...12 sacred fist lets you take incinerating wave which is an AOE spell. Do you guys think thats better than taking 8 levels of fighter?

If you're running Primal yes.

Incinerating Wave counts as a spell, hence if primal procs on it, the ability can crit. It cannot crit on melee strikes.

That being said whoever was talking about the RNG; I assure you it procs quite often, practically every 5 seconds you'll go through all 3 damage types or 2 if you took Heart for some reason.

Actually, I could probably make heart work on my 14 pal/6 monk build because theoretically you could proc the cocoon portion of the mantle with light finisher.

I just got my build to 20 last night; I can say that from the moment I got Incinerating Wave (pal 11, which was level 17 for me) I never stopped using it. It's 3 procs of damage scaling on pal levels and melee power. I'm memeing and going handwraps for the first playthrough for shiggles and I'm still averaging about 400-500 damage per wave without crits at least in heroics. I'm hoping/assuming that damage will increase once EDs are tossed in.

Edit: Sitting at 43 melee power while buffed at level 20, went into borderlands wilderness to test Incinerating Wave. It was hitting for about 200-300 per damage type, (3x 200-300) and on crits I was seeing about 400-500 procs. So it's definitely a nice little chunk. For reference I jumped about 100 damage per type between level 18 and 20, AKA: 2 paladin levels and about 25 more melee power than I had in heroics.

I can say the 14/6 is extremely durable. And between Radiant Savant and Fists of Light/Healing Ki I'm nigh immortal in all fights. The only real downside is I didn't bother with stunning fist given I thought the DC would be too low once in epics. Having no CC did make fighting reapers before getting 12 and the drain immunity from SF tree rough. But otherwise saves kept me safe from caster reapers and carnies and plagues had a hard time swinging at me.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2022 at 1:10pm by Edrein »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #27 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Alright. I tested Heart mantle for shits and giggles.

None of the Ki spells seem to want to proc the mantle, or very rarely if they do. They only proc the fire damage, not the light damage as I was hoping/expecting due to the Sacred Fist T4.

Procs were as reliable as on my EK with punching things.

The actual standout was the fact that positive energy aura pretty much procced the cocoon chance every 5 seconds which could be interesting.

I may swap to Thorn just to see if any of the ki spells proc it that way, assuming they're typed as Force primary.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #28 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Sep 14th, 2022 at 4:25am:
Well the divine crusader mantle doesnt appear to benefit sacred fist? Since the main benefit is full BAB and alignment bypass, and sacred fist gets both by default. The upgrade is also pretty lackluster unless you are doing abbot and need petrification immunity.

The +3 enchant and +1W aren't working with handwraps?

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #29 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Tested Thorn mantle and it does in fact proc on any of the ki spells, including the Henshin SLAs (could only test ki bolt since level 6) and GMoF's Orchid Blossom.

Gearing might be awkward, but I'd definitely recommend anyone trying to use a primal mantle on SF to go with Thorn. Especially if you're using the Incinerating Wave. The difference is about 2x when you proc with a spell compared to melee. At least that's being geared with only potency items at level 20. The gap is bigger at cap.

Note that you'll only proc the force/piercing damage portion of the mantle. Acid and Poison will be through your on hit effects.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Divine Crusader has particularly good synergy with KOTC because of the bonuses to smite: 30% faster regeneration, 1d2/level AoE healing, and +7 smite uses/rest. With Holy Retribution, it effectively means that KOTC will NEVER run out of Smites. (Unfortunately for SF, you get no Holy Retribution, which means at best, you're only regenning 1 smite/minute)

But the Smite bonuses are the only exceptionally good thing about the tree. Mantle is nice, but Grandmaster, Dreadnaught, and Sentinel have very good mantles too. Sentinel in particular gives +15 heal amp and Rule of Law for 1d6/level AoE law damage that scales with 200% MP. I don't know the exact proc rate of Rule of Law, but I do notice it's REALLY fucking high, to the point that I feel it's the best Melee mantle for DPS, despite ironically belonging in the "Tank Destiny." I'll take that mantle any day over Crusader mantle.

The Primal thing sounds cool, though. I may have to check that out. I can see it having decent synergy with EK.

Edrein wrote on Sep 14th, 2022 at 10:50am:
Sitting at 43 melee power while buffed at level 20, went into borderlands wilderness to test Incinerating Wave

43 seems kind of low, even for Sacred Fist. You said you're 14 Pal, so: 14 MP Righteous Command + 2 tome + 10 crown of butterflies + 6 GTWF + 10 T5 SF + 10 Saltmarsh or Sands set + 15 ED cores = 67 at least, +5 for exalted smite when that's active, + whatever reaper and mythic bonuses you have.

Regardless, I look at the SF tree and am reminded that it doesn't get Ascendency... oof. That's +45 melee power against reapers/undead/evil outsiders that SF will never have. And the ability to no-fail stun reapers 5% of the time... seriously, how was it possible for them to fuck up SF so badly?

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #31 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
43 seems kind of low, even for Sacred Fist. You said you're 14 Pal, so: 14 MP Righteous Command + 2 tome + 10 crown of butterflies + 6 GTWF + 10 T5 SF + 10 Saltmarsh or Sands set + 15 ED cores = 67 at least, +5 for exalted smite when that's active, + whatever reaper and mythic bonuses you have.

I'm a triple comp and usually just box anymore at this point when new bullshit lives appear that take away my completionist feats.

So I'm missing lowbie/20 gear tbh.

Also admitted I was going full tard and went T5 Radiant for the aura.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Sep 15th, 2022 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 14th, 2022 at 10:50am:
If you're running Primal yes.

Incinerating Wave counts as a spell, hence if primal procs on it, the ability can crit. It cannot crit on melee strikes.

So all the sacred fist/henshin mystic spells use spell crit instead of your weapon's crit profile? Is that what you meant?

And im still confused as to how you are scaling the primal mantle. It looks like you would need 3 different types of spellpower?

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Sep 15th, 2022 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 14th, 2022 at 2:32pm:
The +3 enchant and +1W aren't working with handwraps?

I wasnt thinking of handwraps specifically but it doesnt seem to offer much damage compared to other mantles.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Sep 15th, 2022 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Quote:
Divine Crusader has particularly good synergy with KOTC because of the bonuses to smite: 30% faster regeneration, 1d2/level AoE healing, and +7 smite uses/rest. With Holy Retribution, it effectively means that KOTC will NEVER run out of Smites. (Unfortunately for SF, you get no Holy Retribution, which means at best, you're only regenning 1 smite/minute)

But the Smite bonuses are the only exceptionally good thing about the tree. Mantle is nice, but Grandmaster, Dreadnaught, and Sentinel have very good mantles too. Sentinel in particular gives +15 heal amp and Rule of Law for 1d6/level AoE law damage that scales with 200% MP. I don't know the exact proc rate of Rule of Law, but I do notice it's REALLY fucking high, to the point that I feel it's the best Melee mantle for DPS, despite ironically belonging in the "Tank Destiny." I'll take that mantle any day over Crusader mantle.

The Primal thing sounds cool, though. I may have to check that out. I can see it having decent synergy with EK.

Regardless, I look at the SF tree and am reminded that it doesn't get Ascendency... oof. That's +45 melee power against reapers/undead/evil outsiders that SF will never have. And the ability to no-fail stun reapers 5% of the time... seriously, how was it possible for them to fuck up SF so badly?

What do you think of the fatesinger mantle then? Or the ED in general for melee? It seems to have a very high damaging spammable ST epic strike and an OKish cleave. Reign and Harmonic Resonance seem good as well.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2022 at 9:48am by ManyCookies »  

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Sep 15th, 2022 at 11:32am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Sep 15th, 2022 at 9:44am:
And im still confused as to how you are scaling the primal mantle. It looks like you would need 3 different types of spellpower?

Didn't he say he uses a Potency item?

ManyCookies wrote on Sep 15th, 2022 at 9:47am:
What do you think of the fatesinger mantle then? Or the ED in general for melee? It seems to have a very high damaging spammable ST epic strike and an OKish cleave. Reign and Harmonic Resonance seem good as well.

I like the mantle. I like the epic strike. I like Reign, especially for SWF. I like the cleave/stun. It's overall a very good DPS tree.

My problem with the tree is it doesn't really offer anything aside from DPS. For Mantle, it's good, but I'd rather go Unyielding Sentinel because it gives a better AoE effect (once every 8s vs. once every 10s) in addition to other goodies like 15% heal amp and 25% absorption. It doesn't give you any extra heals, fort, PRR, AC, or HP. Fatesinger Mantle is strictly worse than Sentinel mantle, for Paladin purposes anyway.

As a tertiary tree, it probably works well. My setup for KOTC is Crusader/Sentinel/Shadowdancer, with Shadowdancer there for Magical Training + better trapping + ddoor + other miscellaneous goodies. I could imagine if you don't care about the trapping, then Fatesinger might be a better pick than Shadowdancer.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #36 - Sep 15th, 2022 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Thinking outside the box here.

I recently had an aura healer melee cleric. That build got killed off by the ED revamp. Aura healing actually got way stronger by adding the EA mantle, but melee dps went in the shitter.

But since SF gets the Radiant Servant aura...what if you made a caster paladin that went all in on auras? You should be able to stack up the henshin AoE, DC consecrate, EA mantle, RS healing aura. RS caps at class level 18, so you could add a mini ES aura with a warlock split to stack procs. No need to cast at range so EDF gets to stay on.

Auras mean you are free to punch. Your punch DPS will be terrible, so might as well be the tank and punch with threat gen. Cha is your main stat for everything so Intim is viable.

Are there any other auras/AoEs a paladin18/warlock1/FvS1 could add?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Sep 15th, 2022 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Hit 20 today and done a bit of testing on fatesinger and primal,  nothing deep, just single hitting stuff in the wilderness.

Fatesinger epic strike sadly doesn't strikethrough or doublestrike, kinda making it less good than just swinging normally for THF.

Primal mantle procs do 2x damage on a double strike, but don't strikethrough. Can get all three to proc on one swing on different targets, sometimes on a doublestrike two of the three will proc on one target, both for double damage.

IP Logged

Edrein
Shroud Slacker

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #38 - Sep 15th, 2022 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Sep 15th, 2022 at 9:44am:
So all the sacred fist/henshin mystic spells use spell crit instead of your weapon's crit profile? Is that what you meant?

I'm going to go with you've never played these type of characters before.

Anything in the game that is an ability (think EDs, enhancements, etc.) that is actually a spell in coding will use spell critical chance.

Bolder Toss, Shadow Dagger, Vistani Knife Fan, etc. They can all crit, based on spell crit chance. And spell critical damage applies to them as well.

They might use Melee Power, Ranged Power, Spellpower, etc. to 'scale the damage' but again. If it's a spell it uses crit% from caster gear.

And yes, you'd need 3 types of spellpower to maximize the Primal Mantle. Luckily for us; every mantle corresponds to a type of gearing widely available. Light and Fire are usually bundled together. Cold and Electric are together as Storm prefix, and Acid and Poison/Neg are also generally grouped. You usually have to pick up the third spellpower on its own.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint