Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dark Apostate, just... wow (Read 6249 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Dark Apostate, just... wow
Sep 10th, 2022 at 2:35am
Print Post  
So I got done with my fisto-paladin lives today(which were gimp as fuck but a lot of fun) and moved on to Dark Apostate. I'm not going to pretend like I built a perfect character but so far it really sucks. I knew it wasn't going to be awesome, but at least fisto-paladin had fun animations.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Re: Dark Apostate, just... wow
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 11:33am
Print Post  
You and your animations.

I've grouped with a couple of people who were doing dark apostate. We were doing Stormhorns and one guy was just saying "Yeah this sucks I'ma TR at 20, see you on the other side." He hated it that bad. The consensus seems to be that yeah, it's hot garbage. Judging by what people are telling me, Stormsinger is leaps and bounds the best archetype.

Of course, SSG would know this if they actually played their own game. Imagine that: what a novel idea!

On the plus side, I'm having a lot of fun playing a build that ISN'T using an archetype. New Whirlwind Attack is a huge boon to SWF players like me. Plus, this is the first time I'm trying out the new Spring Attack. It also kicks ass. Fighters feel sort of viable now, provided that you multiclass them with Paladin or Barbarian for sustain.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2022 at 11:34am by »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You and your animations.

Gotta find the fun somewhere. If all we care about is numbers why not just sit around rolling dice all day and cheer when you get a good one?

Quote:
Of course, SSG would know this if they actually played their own game. Imagine that: what a novel idea!

If I ran an MMO I'd have an employee who's day job was to play the game and report back to me. If at all possible I'd hire a non-gamer for this role. The Strimtoms of the world are great, but there aren't enough of them to fund the entire game. I would also make said employee chat on the forums. Not as a community manager or any visible "official" capacity

Quote:
On the plus side, I'm having a lot of fun playing a build that ISN'T using an archetype. New Whirlwind Attack is a huge boon to SWF players like me. Plus, this is the first time I'm trying out the new Spring Attack. It also kicks ass. Fighters feel sort of viable now, provided that you multiclass them with Paladin or Barbarian for sustain.

Maybe I'll respec my Suck Apostate into that. I thought "Hey, yeah, swf with KT warhammer favored weapon, I can't lose!" And then I lost.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
So I ate a +5 heart at 17 and switched out 5 cleric levels for 5 wizard levels to get Death Aura. Turned it into an int-based harper/EK mostly. DPS is still shit but at least with lesser death aura the character is a touch more survivable. Still 600k from cap and seriously considering just noping the fuck out of this life.

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 6:18am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 10th, 2022 at 9:18pm:
So I ate a +5 heart at 17

Thank you for supporting the game and giving fat jerry another Big Mac  Grin

IP Logged

Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
So I ate a +5 heart at 17 and switched out 5 cleric levels for 5 wizard levels to get Death Aura

I thought with dark apostate that one of the few saving graces was being able to kill stuff and heal yourself at the same time with the mass inflict spells? Surely that's got to be better than whatever healing 5 wiz is going to add?
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2022 at 8:59am by Binkey »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Sep 11th, 2022 at 6:18am:
Thank you for supporting the game and giving fat jerry another Big Mac  Grin

I didn't pay for it. It was given away free several updates ago after another time SSG completely fucked over a particular class. I forget which one.

Binkey wrote on Sep 11th, 2022 at 8:58am:
I thought with dark apostate that one of the few saving graces was being able to kill stuff and heal yourself at the same time with the mass inflict spells? Surely that's got to be better than whatever healing 5 wiz is going to add?

The problem is a combination of targeting and the fact that the new mass inflict spells suck. If you're playing melee everything is very wild and chaotic, what you have actively targeted may not be what you're swinging at. So quite often I would hit the button to cast a mass inflict, the spell would go on cooldown and the mana would be spent; annnnd nothing would happen save for an error message "you are not facing such and such"

This is as compared to the convenience of death aura and negative energy burst, which are just centered on you. I think if the various mass inflicts did that it'd be a lot better for melee. Still not very good though.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
I think in that case you could just target yourself with F1 and cast the spell centered on your self, you would still be able to hit mobs in the direction you are facing just by attacking with your left mouse button. But yes, if you want to target mobs with auto attack on, it can often miss because of the stupid facing issue.

Anyway, why melee as dark apostate, cant you just do a normal cleric with divine disciple as your main tree and nuke, rather than try and use the shitty tree?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Sep 11th, 2022 at 4:11pm:
Anyway, why melee as dark apostate, cant you just do a normal cleric with divine disciple as your main tree and nuke, rather than try and use the shitty tree?

Because I thought Dark Apostate was a melee tree and I wanted to play a melee cleric.

As it turns out, I was wrong.

Currently 12 cleric/5 wizard/1 barbarian(don't ask) and thinking I'll just do slayers until I hit 20. I wasn't planning to play to cap. Still got 2 more dark apostate lives to do; but I'll either play as a nuker or something else. Haven't decided exactly yet. I do know I'll be using +50% potions to get it over with faster.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Sep 11th, 2022 at 4:11pm:

Stacking incorp/displacement. Evil damage imbue (albeit at half the DPS potential of an EK). And the fact that mass inflict spells are touch range (aka; don't target enemies and just cast on yourself).

The problem is that DA doesn't support any playstyle in all reality. Melee or Caster. It likes to put up the airs like its capable of being a main tree, but it really isn't.

It's practically a shitty racial tree that you unfortunately can't spell racial AP on.

As much as I love playing undead builds. I'll likely play DA as a fleshy death domain cleric regardless and suffer through the PLs so I can get that negative amp for the next time I feel like playing an actually decent undead.

Hell, I never thought I'd live long enough to say, "Wow they made an undead worse than Abyssal Warlock." but here we are.

I wish that the Archetypes had been shelved and we got the Revenant universal tree as we got teased a handful of times before now.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Judging by what people are telling me, Stormsinger is leaps and bounds the best archetype.

Mechanically it's the best and only 'sound/functional' archetype, in the sense that you can play it 1-32 and contribute.

It plays like a better mix of Air Savant/Ice Savant as a build; however, you quickly realize it has the glaring noob trap of not having an immunity stripper.

Normally I'm not big on the whole everything needs a stripper argument, however, in this case it drastically needs it. Whenever you run into something that's lightning immune (which is your true main element out of the three), you'll hilariously find that the mob is also immune or highly resistant to cold. And following that trend, usually said mob is also resistant to sonic.

Had they not nerfed Sonic Blast into the ground, it might have been decent. But until they update Shout/Greater Shout with less buggy cones, then this is kind of dead.

The lightning spells in the spellbook carry the Stormsinger. Niac's Ray SLA is a meme because the DLC is so incredibly low that even on my triple comp main I found it starting to be saved almost constantly in content beyond level 10. By the time I reached sharn in heroic I stopped using that SLA all together due to the save.

The Niac's Biting Cold SLA is actually interesting imo; it has potential with Draconic. But the issue is this SLA doesn't do initial tick damage like the spell used to (who knows maybe they've changed the base spell since the last time I've cast it.)

The massive SP difference between Spellsinger and Stormsinger is the biggest hurdle. Prior to you hitting epics and level 23 to run Primal Avatar mantle for nigh infinite SP, you'll find yourself having to play shrine-by-shrine instead of having sustain.

Now, I only played Sacred Fist at cap for 2 seconds. Damage was low/lackluster, but honestly it was fun to play. Which is weird. I enjoy the fun, but it's not viable to be played longterm. Burn through the lives and play something else.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 11th, 2022 at 6:33pm:
Normally I'm not big on the whole everything needs a stripper argument

I've often been very annoyed by the very concept of elemental immunities(especially since mobs can get blanket immunities and player characters can't). Maybe some things could just have very high resistance, but a blanket "This cannot be damaged by this unless you strip the immunity" is a poor design choice.

IP Logged

platfarmchink
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
So what kind of build would you suggest to just knock out Sacred Fist and DA, skipping epics?

10 Cleric + ?
10 Pally + ?

Or do we still want the level 12 cores?

Note: Fuck Handwraps for the SF run ups.

Edit: I have all my racials so prob Tabaxi for speed
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2022 at 10:43pm by platfarmchink »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
platfarmchink wrote on Sep 11th, 2022 at 10:38pm:
So what kind of build would you suggest to just knock out Sacred Fist and DA, skipping epics?

10 Cleric + ?
10 Pally + ?

There's a good theorycraft on sacred fist over in the builds section: http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1662584879

As for Dark Asuckate? Do what ManyCookies said and just do a normal cleric with divine disciple as your main tree and nuke.

IP Logged

PaxsMickey
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2022 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
platfarmchink wrote on Sep 11th, 2022 at 10:38pm:

10 Cleric + ?
10 Pally + ?

I’ve heard 18 SF/1 FVS/1 Monk is a fine split for using the wraps or focusing on daggers with VKF. I’m planning on running a DEX SDK as 18 SF/1 Rogue/1 Monk with wraps. And using the chain attacks and the whirlwind enhancement for AOE

I’ve heard 12 SF/6 fighter/2 FVS is good if you want to use Kensei to use any weapon while centered. Some were using longswords and going SWF. The general consensus I’ve heard is the whirlwind attack from the SF tree costs enough ki that they were better off not taking the SF tier 5 abilities and just using the standard whirlwind attack as a ki builder.

You could go Tabaxi, take a level of FVS/Cleric before SF for follower of the silver flame, and skip the whole SF enhancement tree and use HW with zen archery, or even better go 14 SF/6 fighter with inquisitive and Kensei for centering xbows.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Sep 21st, 2022 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
PaxsMickey wrote on Sep 21st, 2022 at 2:12pm:
You could go Tabaxi, take a level of FVS/Cleric before SF for follower of the silver flame, and skip the whole SF enhancement tree and use HW with zen archery, or even better go 14 SF/6 fighter with inquisitive and Kensei for centering xbows.

Too bad Tabaxi Trailblaster is a fucking garbage past life or this might be a great way to get a 2fer.

IP Logged

PaxsMickey
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Sep 21st, 2022 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 21st, 2022 at 2:37pm:
Too bad Tabaxi Trailblaster is a fucking garbage past life or this might be a great way to get a 2fer.

I mean correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t an Iconic SF life be faster than rushing to 20 on anything else? I still need to grind out other Iconic lives so I’ll be doing those first instead.

The other big brain alternative if to play a regular Paladin build instead and then use a +0 Lesser heart to swap to SF then TR

Someone had posted on Reddit that you could swap from base Paladin to SF during an ETR, but I haven’t had a chance to verify that yet. If that’s true the real plan imo would be to play base to 30, ETR into the archetype then TR.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Sep 21st, 2022 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
PaxsMickey wrote on Sep 21st, 2022 at 3:02pm:
I mean correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t an Iconic SF life be faster than rushing to 20 on anything else? I still need to grind out other Iconic lives so I’ll be doing those first instead.

Probably true. I just can't get over how shitty everything released recently has been.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint